1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New DLC: Polynesia

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Willowmound, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Fabiano79

Fabiano79 Prince

You are right about the power of legends. I dont think plp corrected me though.

But as I said before, nvm. Its hard for me to express myself in english, and I think Ill lose all debates because of that.

I still would like to know why polynesia...its not a market decision and its not a decision based on the history of the game.

I would prefer to see some ancient power, like the sumerians or carthage.

2. brxbrx

brxbrx Worthless loser

early embarkation for their special ability, maori warriors for special unit.

btw, I was the first to suggest their special ability over on the 2k forums :D

3. Fabiano79

Fabiano79 Prince

You dont understand me..you are the ones being offensive calling all the cultures of the south pacific as Polynesian...putting all together under the same flag. Weird thing you dont see that.

Its like ok, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Peru, Bolivia, Chile...are all the same, lets call them the Latin Civ.

Or England and United States are the same to me, lets call them the Anglo Saxon Civ. How about this?

You get the point now?

4. _hero_

_hero_ King

I suspect that they are skipping over some of the more obvious Civs for DLC because they want to include them all in an expansion as a bundle rather than charge us for them as DLC and then make us mad including them in the expansion.

It wouldn't seem right to charge for DLC and then include it all in an expansion. Conversely, if they don't include DLC content in expansions, it might encourage people to buy DLC that they had previously been reluctant to buy.

5. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

I think it's been the history of the Civ series to try and add geographical diversity, and at the same time give a nod to little -known civs by recognizing them and giving them a turn in the spotlight. It's just that the little-known ones have longer to wait. Sometimes, like the Iraquois, they can return to the series.

Sometimes a civ represents a unique playstyle, more than our idea of a classical civ. The Vikings and Mongols are examples. The Polynesians represent another. You can argue about them being more nomadic than civilized, but there's no denying their achievements.

6. brxbrx

brxbrx Worthless loser

no, because polynesians viewed themselves as one people across the pacific.

7. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

Polynesia is ok, but I would also like to see the Vikings back

8. zarakand

zarakand Prince

The map packs can be fun, if you enjoy playing on historical maps. I purchased them and have really had some fun games on the Asia map pack.

9. brxbrx

brxbrx Worthless loser

I don't hate the vikings, I've enjoyed playing them as a civ, but they just seem so tired!

polynesia is fresh

10. Fabiano79

Fabiano79 Prince

Im afraid that my tahitians friends dont agree with you.

I traveled a lot to tahiti to surf, and they really dont like the plp from other islands.

Theres a lot of rivalry, whats understandable, because they are a island plp (proud of their land and kind of xenophobic, like the japanese and the english) and dont like outsiders even if its someone from Samoa, for example.

11. Schalke 04

Schalke 04 Knappe

I really like the idea of Polynesia as a new Civ. I remember a Civ 3 GOTM (COTM 38, it says Netherlands, but this was just the CIV they modded to Polynesia) in the very past, where the GOTM-team modded a Polynesian CIV for a huge demigod archipelago map. Their UU was a special canoe which could discover the ocean way earlier than any other AI civ.

This was my first demigod win in Civ 3. Since then Polynesia has a place in my heart, civ wise... :D Maybe I even want to buy this DLC :)

12. sharkles

sharkles Chieftain

The overall point remains:
    If you're taking a census, both the Tahitians and Samoans would check off "Polynesian" as their heritage.
    Also, the various island kingdoms have a lot more in common with each other than Peru and Brazil do.
    Also also, it would be weird to add a "Hawaiian Empire," just for the sake of not making generalizations, especially since we already have an "Indian Empire," even though India didn't exist until the 20th century. Before then it was a conglomeration of kingdoms much like Polynesia.

13. Samuil

Samuil Warlord

Well, bought all the other DLC's, gonna buy me this one as well :D

14. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Achievements On-Line!

Examples...

Heads Up,
    This isn't Kansas,
    Do you have a little Captain in you? (Portugese?)
    Searching for the little Precious (with the New Zealand Isles overlayed!)
    Bora! Bora! Bora!
    ...etc
    hummmmm, promising stuff.
    ;)

15. brxbrx

brxbrx Worthless loser

we also have an "american empire"

herp derp.
    I guess that one includes latin america?

16. sharkles

sharkles Chieftain

I do not see where you're going with that one. Obviously not.
    Are you sure you typed your full response?

17. brxbrx

brxbrx Worthless loser

wasn't goin anywhere.

just commenting on the silliness of the "american empire"

18. Schalke 04

Schalke 04 Knappe

Some people claim, that Egypt was the "inventor" of monotheism. I guess I don't need to mention how we all are effected by this even today ;)

19. sharkles

sharkles Chieftain

Well, I think the Americas are kind of a special case, since the United States kind of took the term "American" away from everyone else on the continent.
    Think of it less as a geographical distinction and more of a cultural one. It starts to make sense then.

20. brxbrx

brxbrx Worthless loser

you mean aten-ra, right?