New DLC: Polynesia

The funny thing is you are getting upset over things you are completely wrong about. People have already corrected you on the facts about civrelated politics and how other big "civilizations" were nothing but a conglomeration of city states.

On the Fountain of youth and el dorado subjects. They actually got a big historical signifigance. The spanish invested alot of resources, send out massive expeditions and armada's to find these "mystic" treasures that were rumored to exist.
By doing so they conquered a big portion of the latin america's, but also overextended which resulted in their downfall at the end of the renaissance where brittain and france became more powerfull.

Legend is sometimes history, and vice verse, whether you like it or not, mysticism always had a huge impact on our history .

You are right about the power of legends. I dont think plp corrected me though.

But as I said before, nvm. Its hard for me to express myself in english, and I think Ill lose all debates because of that.

I still would like to know why polynesia...its not a market decision and its not a decision based on the history of the game.

I would prefer to see some ancient power, like the sumerians or carthage.

Ok, I think it will be cool to have them as a civ. But, and let me know if its already been posted, what is its special ability and units/buildings?

early embarkation for their special ability, maori warriors for special unit.

btw, I was the first to suggest their special ability over on the 2k forums :D

polynesians are a people, and they were quite influential. they formed nations and empires across the pacific.

quit your west-centrism

You dont understand me..you are the ones being offensive calling all the cultures of the south pacific as Polynesian...putting all together under the same flag. Weird thing you dont see that.

Its like ok, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Peru, Bolivia, Chile...are all the same, lets call them the Latin Civ.

Or England and United States are the same to me, lets call them the Anglo Saxon Civ. How about this?

You get the point now?

I suspect that they are skipping over some of the more obvious Civs for DLC because they want to include them all in an expansion as a bundle rather than charge us for them as DLC and then make us mad including them in the expansion.

It wouldn't seem right to charge for DLC and then include it all in an expansion. Conversely, if they don't include DLC content in expansions, it might encourage people to buy DLC that they had previously been reluctant to buy.

You are right about the power of legends. I dont think plp corrected me though.

But as I said before, nvm. Its hard for me to express myself in english, and I think Ill lose all debates because of that.

I still would like to know why polynesia...its not a market decision and its not a decision based on the history of the game.

I would prefer to see some ancient power, like the sumerians or carthage.

I think it's been the history of the Civ series to try and add geographical diversity, and at the same time give a nod to little -known civs by recognizing them and giving them a turn in the spotlight. It's just that the little-known ones have longer to wait. Sometimes, like the Iraquois, they can return to the series.

Sometimes a civ represents a unique playstyle, more than our idea of a classical civ. The Vikings and Mongols are examples. The Polynesians represent another. You can argue about them being more nomadic than civilized, but there's no denying their achievements.

You dont understand me..you are the ones being offensive calling all the cultures of the south pacific as Polynesian...putting all together under the same flag. Weird thing you dont see that.

Its like ok, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Peru, Bolivia, Chile...are all the same, lets call them the Latin Civ.

Or England and United States are the same to me, lets call them the Anglo Saxon Civ. How about this?

You get the point now?

no, because polynesians viewed themselves as one people across the pacific.

Polynesia is ok, but I would also like to see the Vikings back

Do you think it could be about money, dribbling out civs like this one or two at a time? I wonder how much cash they pull in on one of these DLCs?

I can tell you what I think. I'd like to see some longer official scenarios. And bring back the privateer.

Perhaps their concept is that they know the game has issues. So they will try to fix and balance the game as they move along, sneaking little tidbits out to the players bit by bit. It seems to be a pretty ingenius way to keep people coming back for more. People that don't like the game hope that it is going to be better this time around. People that do always have something to say about further issues that need to be addressed. The other thing that is apparent is their use of curiosity. Everyone is curious like the game or not.Curiosity used as a marketing ploy. Remember curiosity killed the cat! :lol:

I don't want to go off topic too much but I have bought every DLC, except the earlier map pack. I was wondering is the mappack dlc worth buying?

The map packs can be fun, if you enjoy playing on historical maps. I purchased them and have really had some fun games on the Asia map pack.

no, because polynesians viewed themselves as one people across the pacific.

Im afraid that my tahitians friends dont agree with you.

I traveled a lot to tahiti to surf, and they really dont like the plp from other islands.

Theres a lot of rivalry, whats understandable, because they are a island plp (proud of their land and kind of xenophobic, like the japanese and the english) and dont like outsiders even if its someone from Samoa, for example.

I really like the idea of Polynesia as a new Civ. I remember a Civ 3 GOTM (COTM 38, it says Netherlands, but this was just the CIV they modded to Polynesia) in the very past, where the GOTM-team modded a Polynesian CIV for a huge demigod archipelago map. Their UU was a special canoe which could discover the ocean way earlier than any other AI civ.

This was my first demigod win in Civ 3. Since then Polynesia has a place in my heart, civ wise... :D Maybe I even want to buy this DLC :)

Im afraid that my tahitians friends dont agree with you.

I traveled a lot to tahiti to surf, and they really dont like the plp from other islands.

Theres a lot of rivalry, whats understandable, because they are a island plp and dont like outsiders even if its someone from Samoa, for example.

The overall point remains:
If you're taking a census, both the Tahitians and Samoans would check off "Polynesian" as their heritage.
Also, the various island kingdoms have a lot more in common with each other than Peru and Brazil do.
Also also, it would be weird to add a "Hawaiian Empire," just for the sake of not making generalizations, especially since we already have an "Indian Empire," even though India didn't exist until the 20th century. Before then it was a conglomeration of kingdoms much like Polynesia.

Well, bought all the other DLC's, gonna buy me this one as well :D

The overall point remains:
If you're taking a census, both the Tahitians and Samoans would check off "Polynesian" as their heritage.
Also, the various island kingdoms have a lot more in common with each other than Peru and Brazil do.
Also also, it would be weird to add a "Hawaiian Empire," just for the sake of not making generalizations, especially since we already have an "Indian Empire," even though India didn't exist until the 20th century. Before then it was a conglomeration of kingdoms much like Polynesia.

we also have an "american empire"

herp derp.
I guess that one includes latin america?

I do not see where you're going with that one. Obviously not.
Are you sure you typed your full response?

How much of an impact does ancient Egyptian civilization have on the present-day? Not really all that much [...]

Some people claim, that Egypt was the "inventor" of monotheism. I guess I don't need to mention how we all are effected by this even today ;)

Well, I think the Americas are kind of a special case, since the United States kind of took the term "American" away from everyone else on the continent.
Think of it less as a geographical distinction and more of a cultural one. It starts to make sense then.

Top Bottom