1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New DLC: Polynesia

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Willowmound, Feb 28, 2011.

1. snarzberry

snarzberry Emperor

Totally agree with this. There has been much fighting and animosity between different social and ethnic groups within the chinese empire and we still consider this vast over-arching culture group as 'chinese'.

I remember well my days as a school boy in New Zealand the rivalry that was present between groups such as tongans and samoans. This doesn't change the fact that they think of themselves as polynesian though.

NewZealand is the modern place where people of the various polynesian groups live together in the largest numbers. I think Auckland is the most populous polynesian city on earth, fact check me though. One thing the developers probably aren't aware of is that polynesians (the maori in particular) are extremely sensitive to what they perceive as disrespect towards their culture. Something that would be written off as a harmless jest to most can often invoke accute anger and cries of heinous disrespect. This causes many to tread on eggshells when depicting, discussing or emulating polynesian cultures. There can be deep meaning to seemingly (to outsiders) innocuous elements, so if you get it wrong - look out.

2. noncognosco

noncognosco Warlord

Very few people claim this (as far as I know). If inventing Monotheism is enough to get you in the game then I don't understand why we don't have a Hebrew civ yet.

3. brxbrx

brxbrx Worthless loser

if you've been following the polls on the 2k forums, (where the polynesia idea came from), then Israel might be coming soon

4. thwak

thwak Chieftain

The thing I find funny about all this is that people wanted a new seafearing civilization to compete with england badly, and when they get it they complain because it's a civ that hasn't been in the games before.

Now would I have liked to see the vikings or the zulus in before the polynesians? Absolutely! I mean seriously, where the hell is shaka?! But I don't mind a civ that can cut down england's power on archipelago maps significantly.

5. The Mad Russian

The Mad Russian Armchair Dictator

I've been waiting for Israel since Civ III. It would be great for the middle eastern mods that would be published, especially with what is going on over there now

6. noncognosco

noncognosco Warlord

I would prefer to see it called Hebrew or Jewish civ. But that is just a personal issue that we don't really need to get into here.

7. Fabiano79

Fabiano79 Prince

Thank you for explained what I couldnt.

Theres no "brotherhood of the polynesian", this thinking is prejudice.

Ok, its just a game.

But probably nobody here would like to be, I dont know, a austriac and play together with germany as German civ or an american and play together with england as Anglo Saxon civ.

8. MoonFlare

MoonFlare Prince

Another @$%!&$ DLC...and no hotseat.They promised hotseat half a year ago.Where is it?

9. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

might just be poor wording again, but this doesn't say anything about moai statues being a building to me.
    and modern polynesia definitely is impacted by ancient polynesians, just like modern americans are impacted by ancient native americans, etc. they might not be as big as the impacts of the british empire, but they're still there.

10. zomg

zomg Chieftain

Polynesia sounds fine, they have a colorful culture etc. The scenario might be kind of neat too, its like civ with a new set of rules, though they didnt really say much about it aside from its a 4 player pangea.

I wonder how the new techs will work, it sounds to me like they are for everyone, but thats anybodies guess.

Cant complain about free stuff!

11. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

all of those people would be wrong. akhenaten lived after abraham.

12. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

The thing is, I don't think you can take historical achievement only in compared to today. I think every historical achievement should stand in relation to where others were at the time. Sargon of Akkad paled in comparison to Alexander the Great, but that doesn't mean he wasn't an important conqueror.

But I stand by my point. Without talking about cultural or population expansion, defend England's specific contributions? Or defend France's? If it were just geographic, I'd argue for something like the Aborigines in Australia or the Zulu in South Africa. But the expansion across the Pacific was so damn impressive that I think I can stand above the rest by pointing to that.

Release what might be interesting that people might want to play as. Why does there have to be some kind of progression? There seems to be a fairly regular schedule for the artists, so they can keep releas

Good point about a unique improvement. Didn't think of that. Quite possible based on the picture. And, yes, the Taiaha was a nice touch. :D

13. SpearMan153

SpearMan153 Prince

an excellent and flavourful additon to civ

14. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

It should be a fun added Civ, though I agree that this is probably the most disjointed one possibly ever to appear. Even in cases where the civilization did not exist in the classic sense of the word, the leader in question certainly did rule over those peoples in tote. Hiawatha did unite the Five Nations and Alexander did take over the entirety of Greece. Kamehameha never ruled most of the Polynesian people. This would be akin to making someone like Nasser the leader of an Arab nation. In both cases, the person in question was an important figure in their culture and looked to unify those peoples, but neither truly ruled the totality of their peoples.

On the flip side, we can look at leaders like Pericles as examples in past Civs of a part representing the whole.

15. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I don't know if Hiawatha literally ruled the Iroquois. Either way, Gandhi certainly did not rule India.

Also, keep in mind in past games, we had leaders like Pericles, who did not rule Greece (the Delian League, at best, ruled maybe 2/3 or so, counting loose alliances too).

16. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I still say PRIVATEER! I got used to them in Civ4/BTS.

17. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Warlord

You play as the leader "Kamehameha".

Is this for real or a bad joke?

18. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I liked Privateers. They were mostly useless in the last two games, though, and I doubt much will ever change (short of making them extremely dirt cheap). It was nice for flavor, but it was a flawed execution. That being said, naval diversity might make it easier to add the Dutch, should they choose to do so.

EDIT: What's wrong with Kamehameha? He united Hawaii, which is the largest clearly documented Polynesian Kingdom with a class system and bureaucracy. I hope it isn't because the turtle wave was named after him.

19. noncognosco

noncognosco Warlord

My problem with Privateers is similar to i.e. Musketeers: the time period in which they are useful is so short that by the time you build them and get them to the battlefield they are obsolete.

20. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum