New feature suggestion: constant recon

Woodreaux

Prince
I don't know if the game's API would facilitate this in a future patch or not, but I would love a new unit action: constant recon (or something like that).

The motivation: I like to have my air units stationed at frontier cities and forts do recon missions on the same square, every turn. As my empire grows, and technological advances allow it, I add more air units to this process. I end up spending an increasing percentage of time each turn hitting 'R', clicking and waiting for the unit movement animation.

The solution: just as non-bomber air units have the interception missions, a constant-recon assignment could button could be added next to the regular recon mission. You just click constant-recon or some short-cut key, then click the target square and each turn, the air unit would do the fly over until the user cancels the mission.

It would not only help Civ IV mid & late game, but also mods like Final Frontier. Any ideas? Would anyone else like to see this?

From an implementation stand-point the recon shouldn't actually occur but that unit cannot act until it is given stop orders and the calculated visibility for that unit should just remain "clear" the entire time. The recon animation seems to be more annoying than the click portion since the game will cycle for you anyway (and you may want to change the target square if you have limited units). However, this idea; especially with the advent of airships, would be indeed most helpful.

Sounds like an interesting idea although one could say that if you forget to do a recon on a particular turn the sky/weather could have been too ugly to fly that "day" thus giving the AI a chance to move troops in under cloud cover?!?
If you ever make it to stealth bombers that would be a pretty wide swath of constant recon if you placed them at the border?!?

Maybe link it to "spy points" somehow...possibly using up some points to access 10 turns (or whatever) of constant recon?
Just a thought.

Top Bottom