New Liberty finisher

gdwitt

Prince
Note: a similar post in the bug section.
I haven't received castles for the Liberty finisher in any of the games for versions 137 to 144. The walls still do build automatically for the liberty finisher.
I usually finish the liberty tree well after the wall period.
In earlier mods (122?), I would receive a castle in the cities with walls.
Now, nothing.

I would propose that we change the libery finisher. Walls are too crucial right now to wait until the late middle ages. The provide production in liberty and food in tradition. They are cheaper now. There are one of the first structures that should go up. Additionally, one of the liberty policies gives one a wall production bonus, making walls even cheaper.

Free buildings are always buggy, especially as one gets new cities through expansion after the policy. The constant policy checking in the lua file may be one cause of the slowing the late game.

I don't know the best solution, but you probably have a better idea. I would guess that higher productivity, food, or creativity would be the best solutions. Moving the golden age to the finisher would help as well. I work on liberty from the start and find that the golden ages are best when the empire is a bit larger.

I would propose that we change the libery finisher. Walls are too crucial right now to wait until the late middle ages. The provide production in liberty and food in tradition. They are cheaper now. There are one of the first structures that should go up. Additionally, one of the liberty policies gives one a wall production bonus, making walls even cheaper.

Just to clarify, the liberty policy *does not* make walls cheaper to build. Instead, walls grant your city +2 production as a bonus.

As long as the policy works per description I don't see a problem with buying/building walls early and then getting free castles later on. I'll try a game and see if I can reproduce the problem myself.

I definitely got castles from liberty just yesterday or so. Are you sure you even had chivalry researched?

Ceremonial Rites, the Liberty finisher, and Communism all share the same effect. It'd be impractical to find something to replace them with.

Moving the golden age to the finisher would help as well. I work on liberty from the start and find that the golden ages are best when the empire is a bit larger.

This policy reduces the cost of future policies (want it early), and starts a golden age (want it late). If it was entirely early or late benefits it'd be an easy choice. Policies are intended to be challenging decisions. :)

Just to make sure dissenting voices aren't the only voices being heard, I'm fine with the way the Liberty policies currently are (even though – or perhaps because – they're such hard decisions!). :)

Definitely no castles when I obtain chivalry.
But the walls do work for each new city.
Attached is the lua from the log files in case you can figure out what happened.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=458728
I stopped this game soon after gaining chivalry because between turn times were exceeding 5 minutes.
In the next phase of this mod, I propose that we figure out what is dragging down the times versus vanilla. I stopped playing this mod 3 months ago because I had 20 min between turn times by turn 210. I found vanilla turn times were 5 minutes at turn 200, but it lacks VEM's realism.

I upgraded my computer to have 6 gb ram and 1 gb ram on a video card. I've noticed no improvement.

Saving and reloading the game seems to work around most people's missing free building problems.

As for speeding up turn times, try going to Strategic View (hit F10) before clicking Next Turn. You probably just need a newer rig though :undecide:.

Top Bottom