New loading screens are kinda disappointing

True, but the designers can't possibly complete their job until they are provided with the definitive texts stealth_nsk.

The concept will probably remain similar to the current design, but how the content is organized and presented within that template will definitely end up impacting the design itself.

Texts are taken from database. They are different for different locales and could be changed by mods without touching design. Designers are probably work with just "Lorem Ipsum".

Texts are taken from database. They are different for different locales and could be changed by mods without touching design. Designers are probably work with just "Lorem Ipsum".

I have no idea how game/software development works, so that could very well be the case, of course.

Alas, my experience in a marketing department, dealing with webpages, adverts, brochures and packaging tells me no design is ever final unit you factor in the texts.

As an example, look at the almost inexistant space for unit description in the current loading page. The width of those columns allows for 3 words max per line, so the design works only as long as the description is something like "Ground unit".

Imagine fitting something similiar to Civ V's description of the Samurai Legion unit in that space:
Strong, front-line land Unit of the Classical Era. Only the Romans may build it. This Unit has a higher strength Combat Strength than the Swordsman, which it replaces.

I have no idea how game/software development works, so that could very well be the case, of course.

Alas, my experience in a marketing department, dealing with webpages, adverts, brochures and packaging tells me no design is ever final unit you factor in the texts.

As an example, look at the almost inexistant space for unit description in the current loading page. The width of those columns allows for 3 words max per line, so the design works only as long as the description is something like "Ground unit".

Imagine fitting something similiar to Civ V's description of the Samurai unit in that space:
Strong, front-line land Unit of the Classical Era. Only the Romans may build it. This Unit has a higher strength Combat Strength than the Swordsman, which it replaces.

Yeah, we all have different skills and are basing on them :)

In Civ5 leader screen shows only basic information about uniques, with more info on tooltips. This could be the case for Civ6 too. However, my limited knowledge of usability rebels against usage of tooltips while we have the whole screen of free space.

However, my limited knowledge of usability rebels against usage of tooltips while we have the whole screen of free space.

I couldn't agree more.

i wish there is a community fan page that creates artwork for loading screens, then can later be added to the game via Steam Workshop for free.

i wish there is a community fan page that creates artwork for loading screens, then can later be added to the game via Steam Workshop for free.

Modding the loading screens in should be quite easy.

Probably one of my least favorite things in the entire game. Those things were the worst and forced me to mute my computer before I booted up a game of civ. I'll take them as short as possible if they have to return at all, thanks.

Yeah I agree, I probably enjoyed the introductory dialogue a couple of my first games, It got really annoying really fast.

I'd rather the whole "oh powerful mighty leader bla bla bla" be replaced with an introduction to the civ (not leader), each unique having civilopedia style text to acoompany it.

Heck I would even prefer a random bit of weird info about the civ, like:

"Did you know the ancient Maya practiced cranial deformation on their babies because they thought it looked beautiful?"

Spoiler :
mameshibaaa

EDIT: Here's an idea, if we must really have the usual "mightly leader" civ introduction, why not have the voices of each civ leader be the narrator, and do it from his/her point of view.

Here's an idea, if we must really have the usual "mightly leader" civ introduction, why not have the voices of each civ leader be the narrator, and do it from his/her point of view.

Leaders speak in their native language, so do the people who voice them. So either you want to hear introduction in leader's native language OR be ready to hear a collection of how bad English can sound. The latter would be also unfair to people who play Civ in other languages.

Leaders speak in their native language, so do the people who voice them. So either you want to hear introduction in leader's native language OR be ready to hear a collection of how bad English can sound. The latter would be also unfair to people who play Civ in other languages.

We already have them subtitled, I don't see how that would be an issue on the loading screen.

Certainly listening to Hojo tell the history of Japan up to his rule on Japanese, would be way more interesting than the forced slow narrator of civ5.

How about have them narrate it in their native languages? Like Montezuma narrating in Nahuatl. and have it subtitle in the various languages

How about have them narrate it in their native languages? Like Montezuma narrating in Nahuatl. and have it subtitle in the various languages

I would also lend to interesting variations for multiple leaders, like how diferent would be the history of the Greek city states from the point of view of an Athenian or a Spartan.

I can't see how they're really that different from Civ 5.

Context and replayability it's how its diferent from civ5. I'd rather hear Cleopatra, with all the voice acting tell the history of Egypt, or Qin Shi Huang tell of how he united China under his rule.

Than a crusty old man narrating all of them in the most boring way possible.

I know it's too late for this to happend, but it is rather diferent and would keep the narration fresh for far longer than the one in civ5.

Context and replayability it's how its diferent from civ5. I'd rather hear Cleopatra, with all the voice acting tell the history of Egypt, or Qin Shi Huang tell of how he united China under his rule.

Than a crusty old man narrating all of them in the most boring way possible.

They also seem to be shorter now. The Civ5 intros kept droning on forever :sleep:

Why? Because they probably do not want to waste artist resources on something most people ignore anyway and which is displayed for 20 seconds during an entire game.

This. It seems they used the money allocated for leaders/civs to make more uniques with more interesting gameplay - which is way better imo. And it could possibly mean more civs released overall since it requires fewer resources.

As I said before I couldn't care less, but what I do care about is that blue abyss on the north and south edges of the map. That really bothers me. Looks bad, real bad.

I'm not really a fan of it either, it's too disruptive.

Top Bottom