1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New loading screens are kinda disappointing

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Krajzen, Sep 12, 2016.

1. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Of all the things to perhaps be concerned about in Civ 6, this seems to me the least important.

Also, as others have said, I will do quite happily without that mute-worthy Civ 5 opening monologue. :cringe:

2. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

I'm kind of okay with them as they are now, though a little civ-specific art/map in the background would be nice. I never cared for the narrated descriptions in Civ V, I felt like most of those were poorly written *cough* Portugal. :mischief:

3. darko82

darko82 Emperor

The Civilopeida contains more info. if you like. So you might as well copy and pase it into loading screen if it matters at all.

4. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

No maps on the loading screen (with cool fonts and historical notes) really would upset me. I mean why remove something that worked well in Civ V?! And replace it with a generic blue plastic world map? If anything the hand-drawn map approach of the in-game engine should also be consistent with the loading screen (aka have a damn map). I thought exploration was the theme of this expansion...fingers crossed this is all just placeholder stuff.

5. Suho1004

Suho1004 Warlord

If the narrated openings are gone, I will be happy. Not having to listen to the narrator mispronounce leader names, for one, will be a blessing.

I will be mildly disappointed not to see the maps in the background, much in the same way that I am mildly disappointed if I wake up in the morning and see that the weather is overcast. Yes, I would have preferred sunny blue skies, but in the end it doesn't really matter all that much.

6. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

Yeah, I much prefer the civ specific empire maps over a generic background. I highly doubt this WIP or will change at all, if BE is any indication. It's loading screen was garbage and the expansion hardly improved it.

7. cakes

cakes Prince

i didn't really like the CiV ones but these are fine for me. i like the text "joins the world stage" and the nondescript background only reinforces the text that you have come from nothing are here to carve out something of your own

also they probably didn't want to repeat too much information since the historical text is in the civilopedia

8. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

I'm fine with dropping the narration.

Lack of stylized background map is an upset, though. Especially given how much empty space the current loading screen has (no, the barely visible world map doesn't really help).

9. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Couldn't care less. The new one posted earlier in this thread for Hojo looks good enough for me.

10. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

Why? Because they probably do not want to waste artist resources on something most people ignore anyway and which is displayed for 20 seconds during an entire game.

11. JimmyBanks

JimmyBanks Warlord

I quite like the minimalist look they have gone for. What more do yuo want? A documentary on each Civilization going on in the background??

12. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Looked at the pic and I'm ok with those screens. They seem to fit the aesthetics of the diplo screen combined with overall UI style.

13. George Abitbol

George Abitbol Prince

I like this style. I'll miss the CiV maps in the background but it's ok.

14. nunor

nunor King

I love maps as much as the next guy, but the ones in Civ5 were tacky as hell. Better nothing than those, IMO.

15. Paramecium

Paramecium Prince

Im quite sure that those loading screens in the press build were just placeholder. The information of some uniques wasnt finished.
    And the other point, I think Sean Bean will narrate those introduction and it was said during the time of the press events that Sean Bean hasnt finished all his audio sessions so for example the spoken texts of the researched civics were spoken by someone else and it was said that Sean Bean will narrate those, too.

So I think, the texts of the loading screens will change quite a lot ... (we didnt see any younger version of the loading screens, too)

16. GermanSettler

GermanSettler Warlord

I'd rather have this text we see in the Japanese screen than a re-cap of a nation's history as if a Civ game is "history all over again" or some kind of "new start". That always seemed extremely weird.

17. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

One of the descriptions even says "DESCRIPTION MISSING". Clearly a work in progress.

18. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

As I said before I couldn't care less, but what I do care about is that blue abyss on the north and south edges of the map. That really bothers me. Looks bad, real bad.

19. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Missing text description and unfinished design are different things.

20. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

True, but the designers can't possibly complete their job until they are provided with the definitive texts stealth_nsk.

The concept will probably remain similar to the current design, but how the content is organized and presented within that template will definitely end up impacting the design itself.