New mod: Choose Starting Era for Humankind

But what will you get on the start? All the previous era techs and one scout?

No matter which era you select, you start with all previous era techs researched. The units you receive depends on the era in which you start. In the Ancient era, you get two scouts, in the Contemporary era you get a dragoon, a line infantryman, and two settlers.

You receive no influence stars, but in the eras where you don't receive a settler (pre-Industrial eras) you can still establish an outpost and turn it into a city.

A M A Z I NG !

thanks a lot

i asked you about this over at G2G, i certainly did not expect it to be even possible

can't wait to try it out!

:) We plan to do some work on it. In its current state, it's a little rough getting started in the later eras because your first cities do not have the production first cities usually have. Research is similarly very underpowered compared to your research abilities if you begin a game normally. If you try it, it would be great to know your thoughts on it and suggestions for improvement.

I had a surprisingly challenging game even on default difficulty on Giant Earth with all 10 Contemporary Era cultures and Fast speed. First time in my HK tenure I met AIs with Condescending attitude. Research was not a problem, civics were. You just don't get any for 100+ turns. AI civs expanded very fast and gave me tech osmosis every turn.

Can I ask you to change starting locations on Gedemon's map to match contemporary cultures' capitals. It doesn't work when I do it. Everything gets saved and validated, but when I start the game -- my units spawn on the old unedited locations! It's really infuriating when something that supposed to be so simple as editing starting locations ends up not working :badcomp:

Last edited:
It's great to hear you had a challenging game. We are planning on working more with this mod to make starting in later eras a bit smoother. Knowing that civics were an issue is helpful, we can look to see if there's a way around the 100+ turns without civics. We can also look into compatibility with Gedemon's Earth map.

What about stopping pollution from ending the game please? Anything can be done about it?

Yes, before the latest game version came out, there was a mod by Ryan555 that turned it off completely. That was outdated when the devs made changes to the pollution system. My understanding though is that the devs plan to release an upcoming version with the ability to turn pollution off entirely. Is this not the case?

Yes, before the latest game version came out, there was a mod by Ryan555 that turned it off completely. That was outdated when the devs made changes to the pollution system. My understanding though is that the devs plan to release an upcoming version with the ability to turn pollution off entirely. Is this not the case?
Yes, Ryan's mod do not work anymore it causes game loading error. And no, the only pollution related item in patch notes was this:
- Improved Local Pollution effect display on tooltip.

The devs said this in their post before the current patch was released: "However, as we want to refine these options a bit more and make sure they are working well, we be releasing these in a follow-up patch to the update. Once this patch releases, likely in the first week of November, you will be able to enable and disable the end conditions of your choice, even allowing you to disable pollution or the turn timer for a pure “Last Player Standing” game." Post here: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/blogs/786-october-update-content-overview

I took this to mean that after the current patch (the one that was just released), there will be another patch that allows players to disable pollution as a game-ending condition. Since the current patch was released later than expected, it seems likely that the disable pollution patch will also be later than expected (not in the first week of November), but it will be released sometime soon. That's why we did not plan to work on a disable pollution mod. I have no doubt a disable pollution mod is possible, but if the devs are going to be patching this in, there seems to be little reason to make one unless the feature they provide is in some way deficient.

upload_2022-1-31_21-25-6.png

Just to bump this issue, as it is no longer an option to choose what civilization you are...

Top Bottom