1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW PATCH - December 19

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by eazyseeker, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves Grand Inquisitor

...With all the problems this game has they focus on multi? Really? How many players actually use multiplayer? 10-20%? CiV is a game your supposed to be able to play against the AI, and right now we have one with the competence of a toddler.

2. Txurce

Txurce Chieftain

Yes, really. They couldn't have been more clear about this patch's focus. Since you seem to have joined the Civ community pretty recently, you may have missed the news forecasts.

I'm looking forward to more SP-centric patches and DLC myself, although I'm already happy with the game - especially when played with VEM.

3. benjdm

benjdm Chieftain

Yes.

The set of numbers is the version number. That version number means your copy has been updated.

4. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I don't play multiplayer either, but, if you look at the total number of fixes for the game, the overwhelming number have been for single player. A lot of it focused on the AI to make them better at naval warfare, city defenses, and dealing with citadels. Of course there's more work to be done, but multiplayer needed work done too.

5. forty2j

forty2j Chieftain

Analogy time!

Let's say you own a game shop that has 2 bathrooms. A men's and a women's. In both bathrooms, the toilet is clogged, and when you flush, everything runneth over onto the floor.

This being a game shop, it's probable that 80-90% of the customers use the men's bathroom. Your first priority is going to be to try to fix the men's toilet. After a year and a half of working on it, you finally get it to the point where the water just rises to the top of the bowl, without actually overflowing. Meanwhile, the women's bathroom is still overflowing, and at this point a lot of those customers have just starting giving up.

At this point, you can:
    1) Keep working on the men's bathroom until it's perfect.
    2) Go do some damage control on the women's bathroom, to try to make it usable.

2K has gone with option 2. And while it's true that 80-90% of the customers are unaffected, the other 10-20% truly appreciate some attention being given their way.

6. HammerandSickle

HammerandSickle Chieftain

That, my friend, is the grossest analogy I've ever heard.

On topic, I liked the patch. The save thing was welcome, and I discovered that you now get a notification when a player is eliminated, something I really missed since the previous patch. I might consider playing multiplayer with my friend now. All in all, it was nice.

7. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

Exactly, I'm not one to complain.
    Even that tiny SP fix was nice.

8. squiffy

squiffy Chieftain

Ok.. Played several multiplayer games now since latest patch and our multiplayer games are still as laggy and buggy as ever. Great patch. Not.

9. n00bxqb

n00bxqb Chieftain

I played a MP game w/ several of my friends over LAN and it was actually quite smooth even into the 1900s. Played Large size Continents Map w/ 3 Humans, 7 AI, and 20 City-States w/ Standard pace.

10. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Is there any fixes at all for SP has anyone noticed any improvement other than the save files fix? Anything during gameplay?

11. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Chieftain

Neah AI is still crazy as hell especially on higher diffulcties

I am playing on emperor now and they just keep dowing eachother and me :crazyeye:

Its a small map but still

12. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Chieftain

Yeah Me to at some point It just constantly said waiting for other players