1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Terrain Features

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by WarlordMatt, May 21, 2002.

1. WarlordMatt

WarlordMatt Emperor

In that one screen of the Viking Beserk, you can see a whole lot of radar towers and airfields, like the ones described in the press release. What do they do?

Also, this thread is for disscussion of the new terrain styles, like the Arctic type terrain in one of the screens posted on the main page.

2. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

I imagine that the radar towers let you see "nearby" enemy movements.

Will be great for spotting them planning attacks (especially in multi-player), but might be a pain if it increases the time taken for the AI to complete its move.

3. Sabotage

Sabotage Wehrmacht Commandant

my hypothesis (edumacated guess) is that the airfields act like an aircraft carrier and a fortress rolled into one. A staging point for aircraft and infantry.

Radar towers probably reveal a large section of the map, reducing the fog of war.

4. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

I'm pretty sure airfields allow you to stage aircraft in them just like an aircraft carrier. Their main advantage is that (probably) they can be built by workers near the front lines. This would allow for deeper air attacks.

Radar towers are probably built by workers also and have the radar capability (see 2 over land, see 4 over water, and spot invisible units).

Why is seeing invisible important? In the editor any unit can be built with this trait, not just subs.

5. WarlordMatt

WarlordMatt Emperor

Ya. I was thinking airfields will be fortresses for air units, and radar towers for spotting things outside your territory.

I think workers will be able to build both (how else??) and maybe the tech needed for airfields is Flight and for radar towers, maybe Computers or something.

6. Kilroy

Kilroy Bitter.

How many of you are interested in an Airbase unit for Civ3 right now? I've got a solution that I believe the AI will be able to use (my criterion for putting something in the game). I can post it in the units section if there's enough demand. I'll work on radar towers, too.

7. WarlordMatt

WarlordMatt Emperor

What would this unit do?

8. MrBiggBoy

MrBiggBoy High Admiral

Aircraft carrier for land, anyone?

9. WarlordMatt

WarlordMatt Emperor

Sweet! It can move around, right?

10. Kilroy

Kilroy Bitter.

There are two ways to implement it. With either method, I'm unsure whether the AI will know what to do with it, but I'm slightly more optimistic about one method than the other. In either case it acts as you would expect an airbase to act, and can be captured (which is a big plus for me - but that's just me).

Regarding the graphic, I've taken the airbase graphic from C:CTP and converted it to a flic. It has easily recognizable civ colors and meshes with the rest of the terrain graphics quite nicely.

I've a meeting in 20 mins, I'll post it when I get back at 3:30 PST.

11. philippe

philippe FYI, I chase trains.

well i think that is mayby also a missile detecting system and that you can destroy missiles with that

12. Badluck

Badluck Warlord

Philippe: that would be nice,

If jet can't destroyes nuclear missile yet, maybe this will let them see the misslile come and gave them the time to kill the bomb!

13. MrBiggBoy

MrBiggBoy High Admiral

i think it will be more useful to keep an outpost in the middle of nowhere to watch chokepoint, etc, or in 1 tile island. it'll probably be enabled with radio or flight or something.

14. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

I think airfields should work the same way as the airfields in Civ2 -- allow planes to land and remain on non-city tiles . The radar towers' effect is pretty obvious.

I would like Firaxis to add farmland and supermarket back. Also, a new radar jamming unit to counter the radar towers would be nice!!!

15. Kilroy

Kilroy Bitter.

I've posted a unit that does just that once you get it placed... it doesn't seem to have been very well-received though...

16. TiggerZuke

TiggerZuke Chieftain

hmm.. this may appeal to some rather than others. How about glaciers, volcanos, lava etc? This could be quite useful in a scenario that may focus on the survival of species etc, with the player as a certain creature trying to adapt or migrate to a different climate? Just a thought.. but I think that volcanoes would be a good addition since they could produce new land for you. Also, how about comets randomly striking the planet? (VERY RARELY) this would leave behind a crater terrain that would perhaps be scientiffically valuable? that is.. if civilization survives.

SALT FLATS!!!

17. joycem10

joycem10 Deity

thundefall:

the one thing i really miss from CIV II is the farmland/supermarket aspect. it looked one helluva lot better on the map and gave the game a little more depth. i find it annoying to RR every tile I own and I was glad to get away from it in CIV II

18. kring

kring Asst Cook & Bottle Washer

If it were a true radar unit, it would only show air and naval (but not submarine) units; it would not show ground units or submarines. The airfield would not be fortress either in that instance; just a place to base air units.

Glad to see they listened to us on adding airfields.

19. Harlan

Harlan Chieftain

A bigger mystery which I don't think anyone has explained, is what is their other new terrain feature, the Outpost???

20. LaRo

LaRo Dead Rat

So, why not a (I don't remember the name) sea sonar that allow to spot subs in a specific zone?