Maat

Chieftain
I’m relatively new to the game I build in random places never really plan anything or know that districts you build can give points to a certain tile is there a way to better understand these things?

I am going relatively great and leading on prince difficulty, any suggestions would help

I was in the same shoes like you when the game was released back in '16. And only started to play on higher difficulties lately. I still miss a lot of important knowledge, but what helped me a lot was checking out some youtube videos, how people with knowledge are playing. I recommend checking out PotatoMcWhiskey's channel on youtube. He's explaining his moves why he does what he's doing and also has some good tutorial videos about the fundamentals of the game.

What I also highly recommend is using the Civilopedia in-game while you are playing. Let's say you want to build a campus, but you are not sure where is it the best to place, you just search for campus and you can check the bonuses.

Also there are some good threads on this forum as well :)

And here's a general tip I think every new player should learn as soon as possible. When the game loads and you see the first couple of tiles you can already start to plan what and where you are going to build. And also have a plan which victory you are going for. Everything can change as the game goes on so many times you have to adapt the situation you are in.

Just use the advisor in-game. Personally I checked out the lenses and looked up a lot in the civilopedia when I started. The civilopedia isn't the greatest but gives you a good idea nevertheless.
Maybe turning on yields for the first game(s) might be helpful, too.
For district placement understanding adjacency is vital IMO.

I’m relatively new to the game I build in random places never really plan anything or know that districts you build can give points to a certain tile is there a way to better understand these things?

I am going relatively great and leading on prince difficulty, any suggestions would help
Honestly, Civ 6 is far too complex to teach on such a broad basis. There are so many important details, systems and mechanics that you can't get anywhere with it.

My advice is to do a run through of each Victory. Run a game and disable all but one Victory, say Cultural Victory. Then learn what you need to do for that Victory, https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Victory_(Civ6) does a good run down of how each one works. Then try to win that Victory. By putting it into practice, you'll understand better what is happening. If you have any questions, put them up here, the community tends to be pretty good at responding and we can explain. When you complete that Victory, either change it for another one or just add a new Victory, say Scientific Victory on and try for that one, and so on until you've done all the Victories (don't worry about Score Victory too much, though). I would definitely do a run through of each Victory though, it helps a lot to know how it is won so you get a feel of what you need to do to block others from getting them. For example, even if I'm going for a Scientific, I still build Wonders when I can to boost my domestic tourism, making it harder for competitors to get a Cultural before my exoplanet expedition arrives.

Once you've done all the 5 main Victories, you'll understand the mechanics enough to start delving into all the details and learn how to play properly. That's my advice, at any rate.

If you want a list of civs to help you learn, let us know and we'll come up with something.

Some districts are rather easy to place (Campus, Holy Site, Commercial Hub, Harbor), because their adjacency bonuses are visibly evident since they are tied to the map environment (mountains, rivers, unimproved resources). When you choose to put on in your build queue, the bonuses will show up immediately on the city screen.

Some are a little tougher (Theater Square, Industrial Zone), because their adjacency bonuses are less obvious ahead of time since they are tied to other things you place on the map (other districts, wonders, tile improvements). If you already have the adjacency providing elements on the map, you can see the bonuses. But if you are placing these districts first, you might want to do so planning (this is where the map pins come in extremely handy).

And some just have no adjacency at all, so your decision making process is akin to making chess moves strategically based on future moves down the road. Or, in the case of Encampments, it might come down to where you want that extra ranged attack coming from.

Also, I'm not sure if this is in the base game or a mod I'm using, but hovering over the district in the build list should give you a mouse-over listing all the district's adjacency bonuses.

Yeah go watch those streamers that play at a hi level and some what explain what theyre doing. Potato mc whisky comes to mind.

no one has any clue what you already know and this game is too complicated to explain in a series of text messages.

Or even better just play prince until you think its too easy... then move on to king and take your lumps and figure things out on your own.

Should I take I screenshot of my capital city would that help with some constructive criticism ?

Top Bottom