New Unit - Dinosaur Rider

pesoloco

Civ-aholic
The Dinosaur Rider unit is finally finished. Special thanks to Philippe for his suggestions.

This is a fun unit that adds a little flavor to your game.

Complete with sounds, animations, civilopedia images, and unit icons.

I have even included a "raptors" resource icon as well if you want to add the resource and make it required for this unit.

Please rate this unit :) Thank you! (At the bottom of the page)

Here is what it looks like in the game:

Great job

does anyone think they would be able to write civilopedia info for this?

thanks phillipe-

i am having trouble with the unit. when i click on it to build it, the game shuts off without any messages, am i doing something wrong? i have downloaded units before and successfully installed them before so i am lost

here it is,i dont know how that you must inset it in the civilopedia but here comes the text:
DINO RIDERS
you must have resource:"DEINONYCHUS"before building DINO RIDERS.
explenation:
Dino riders are men who uses dinos for their attacks.
After years of training a man may ride the ferocios(mayby wrong spelling) DEINONYCHUS.
The animal named DEINONYCHUS is a ferocios(wrong spelling again:rolleyes: )hunter,a hunter that was one of the smartest dinos and with claws that could cut a human body in 2.
The DEINONYCHUS is also known for his speed and this is what the dino so interresting for DINO RIDERS.
With the smartness and speed of the DEINONYCHUS and the skillnes of the DINO RIDER this unit is one of the most powerful unit in the ancient era.

very nice philippe, you should help with the dino mod

Originally posted by coolcosh
thanks phillipe-

i am having trouble with the unit. when i click on it to build it, the game shuts off without any messages, am i doing something wrong? i have downloaded units before and successfully installed them before so i am lost

Sounds like the DEFAULT animation is either missing or the name doesn't match up with the INI file.
Also, make sure you have downloaded BOTH Zip files and Unzipped BOTH to the Dinosaur Rider folder. (I don't know if this is you, but it looks like more people have downloaded the first zip than the second one - could be a possible source of errors)

Make sure the following are true:
The unit name in the editor is "Dinosaur Rider" (with a space)
The art is in the folder /art/units/Dinosaur Rider (with a space)
The INI file is called Dinosaur Rider.INI (with a space) - this one should already be that way

I will double check the files I put together and make sure it all works.

Thanks to Philippe for the Pedia text. I can format it so it will work with the Civilopedia.txt file. I will post again soon.

I checked the ZIPs

All the needed files are there if you get both ZIP files.
Just unzip them both into /art/units/Dinosaur Rider

Make sure your spelling is correct (spaces count) in the editor. That has caused me some problems before.

Originally posted by philippe
thank you pesoloco!:goodjob:
so what will be your next dino unit?

I think now I will work on a transport boat pulled by a water dino.

FORMATTED CIVILOPEDIA TEXT (original text by philippe)

*** PUT THIS IN THE UNITS SECTION OF CIVILOPEDIA.TXT ***

#PRTO_DINOSAUR_RIDER
you must have resource $LINK<Deinonychus=GOOD_DEINONYCHUS> before building Dinosaur Riders.
#DESC_PRTO_DINOSAUR_RIDER
Dino riders are men who uses dinos for their attacks.
After years of training a man may ride the ferocious $LINK <Deinonychus=GOOD_DEINONYCHUS>
With the smartness and speed of the $LINK<deinonychus=GOOD_DEINONYCHUS> and the skillfulness of the dinosaur rider, this unit is one of the most powerful unit in the ancient era.

*** PUT THIS IN THE RESOURCES SECTION OF CIVILOPEDIA.TXT ***

#GOOD_DEINONYCHUS
The animal named deinonychus is a ferocious hunter - a hunter that was one of the smartest dinos and with claws that could cut a human body in 2.
#DESC_GOOD_DEINONYCHUS
The deinonychus is also known for his speed and this is what the dino so interresting for $LINK<Dinosaur Riders=PRTO_DINOSAUR_RIDER>.

you will also need to add this to PediaIcons.txt before the "#End Units" line:

#ICON_PRTO_DINOSAUR_RIDER
/art/units/Dinosaur Rider/DinosaurRiderLarge.pcx
/art/units/Dinosaur Rider/DinosaurRiderSmall.pcx

add this before the "#End Resources" line:

#ICON_GOOD_DEINONYCHUS
/art/units/Dinosaur Rider/DinosaurRiderLarge.pcx
/art/units/Dinosaur Rider/DinosaurRiderSmall.pcx

Originally posted by philippe
i already gave you a image of a water dino so you can work on that:)

I have a few ideas for what it could look like. I'll show you what i have as soon as i have some previews.

i was thinking maybe a plesiosaurus with a harness pulling a covered-boat along?

Top Bottom