NEW vs OLD

RocknD

Ace
Hey, Hi! all
Been gone from the game for awhile now, as I posted over in the feedback thread.
I am wondering how much I've forgotten about the game and have a couple of questions that I hope anyone can clear up.

I am not sure which are features, which are Old, which are bugs and what is New.

- Units showing "Special Ability" slots i.e. Scavenging +50% yield from pillage have no button when in improved tile. No keys will efffect it either.
- When another faction beats you to a Secret Proj, where do all the hammers go? I only got back a portion of them. Is that by design?
-No ability to select/use resources inside ZOC. If it exists, I should be able to get it. Transports?
-Why is bunker radius so different for each city. Size, shape don't pattern the same.

These are a few of the things i'm encountering playing v 16 patched.
thanks again, RD

- Units showing "Special Ability" slots i.e. Scavenging +50% yield from pillage have no button when in improved tile. No keys will efffect it either.
-No ability to select/use resources inside ZOC. If it exists, I should be able to get it. Transports?

I have no idea what you mean.

- When another faction beats you to a Secret Proj, where do all the hammers go? I only got back a portion of them. Is that by design?

That's vanilla Civ4. You get credits instead.

-Why is bunker radius so different for each city. Size, shape don't pattern the same.

It depends on its line of sight, influences by features and elevation level.

OK, at the risk of appearing really dumb, I post before searching very deep for answers then go looking for the answers to my questions. Should be the other way round, right? Maybe some of this will help new players at least.

Thanks for responding on both threads Maniac. I'm just gonna have to play more to figure stuff out. I just found in the Datalinks where it describes my game parameters.
It was not a custom game afterall. But I did have to fiddle with the difficulty to get the Pirates to come up as you wrote about a while back. It shows expansion start.

On the Spec Abilities; I'm over a tidal harness say, and there is no button for selecting pillage.
(EDIT: I just read in the change log where it's been changed for v16d with respect to non-combat), I guess I'd been trying to use cargo foils and transports, meh

17. Non-combat units can't pick the Scavenger special ability.

The other one is probably just the game mechanics. In the base screen, there are 25 tiles visable that could be in that cities ZOC. But on the map my base expansion is greater than 25 tiles. Is there a way, like with materials pods in SMAX, that those resources can be harvested?

And as regards bunkers, so, for example in my case using Sven at Sea level - if line of sight is adjacent to a ridge (or cliff) it can't see over, it adjusts into other patterns to fit those features. That makes sense now, I guess.

Now, here's a couple more.
- Marines and Drop Troopers can't attack from ocean or transports, even when starting with amph pods?
- Placing a Probe Team inside Santiago's HQ and starting a successful city revolt lets her recover in the next turn instead of 8?

Thanks again. Getting alot of enjoyment from the mod.

Here's a couple of others that have me bumfuzzled, in addition to the two unanswered above.

1. NPC bombards player city with 75% defense and it goes down to 50% in 1 turn, then a psi unit attacks and defeats mobile infantry completely bypassing bunker. And then, it disappears completely from any tile in which it should be found by a reconnosance flight. There is no way to track it and kill it. WTFISUWT?

2. Moving 2-3 tiles out from a land base with fungus in tiles completes the trun of a 5 move unit? Man, either restore the defense bonus in fungus or keep the move penalty. Not both.

3. 1 turn to move 1 tile on a mag tube? Say what?

4. Loading and unloading of transports counts as complete turn for units?

5. When player makes a hit on a target after a move, it takes one move off total. So, moving 4 tiles to attack means there is no retreat if you have 5 moves in a turn.
NPC is not so similarly handicapped.

6. How does a Sealurk kill 3 Aquaformers in one attack when they are stacked?

7. How does a damaged unit (from ranged attacks) in an enemy NPC base
go from half-strength to 3/4 strength in one turn with just a Research Hosp and Bunker?

8. What's up with the automatic Team play. Is this from the Concordant?
I was leading in Tech, GNP, Land and Score. All of a sudden a pop-up says, oops, "you lost we won, we're declaring victory" even though I was never included on the Team . They all scrambled for the green weenie win and I was going for conquest with heavy espionage. They had a few Techs to share, Lal had Datalinks but wasn't in with them, either.
Then all of a sudden they got Barracudas, Penetrators and had reached nirvana with all the advance weapons where 20 or so turns before it was all mind worms and Genites. ???

9. NPC's know my bunker pattern as well as flight patterns and manage to stay one tile away from mayhem. How does the player acquire that information about an NPC base?

I'll save #10 for later. Oh, wth. I'm changing most of the music. For example, Sven's base screen is now "Witches Brew" from Miles Davis. Trimmed and arranged.

Like I said, it's been since v12 since I played PF or any CIV. I played SMAX a bunch when it came out, then stopped for a few years and went back to it. Stopped again, then got CIV IV, then FF and finally PF.

There's a bunch from this mod that is well thought-out and reminds me of "the good old days", but I am getting frustrated playing now because of all the tweaks here and there. Sometimes you don't need to change stuff just because you can.

I don't know if anyone will bother with this, I don't expect Maniac to do a run down on playing the game each time something is posted. I've tried searches for various stuff and have gotten some answers from threads. So, if any of you got answers to these beefs/head scratchers please let me know. But, don't expect me to play green weenie style just to win. Planet Mind Schplanet Mind. Bring on the Aliens.
RD

Top Bottom