Newbie needs help

surfersjk

Chieftain
Hi everyone. I have just bought civilisation 3 and find it an excellent game. Unfortunately, I am not very good at it, and would like some tips. I played the Romans and after a short while got invaded by a coalition of America and Egypt, although I had done nothing to upset America. I was easily crushed. I did build a few cities, is this right? One problem is when I have a city established, after a short time there is zero growth, and it does not help me to move the shield and bread icons around, as there are no more resources available. What do I do to get the growth moving again? Any more tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading this,
Kev.:)

{Two threads merged into one ~TF)

If a city is not built on a river it can not grow past size 6 without an aqueduct. After that it will stop growing at size 12, until you get hospitals. Other ways of increasing food is to irrigate the plains or deserts. Chop down forests or jungles. Build a harbor in coastal cities. Irrigating grassland will help if your in any government other than despositism.

Hi peeps. I need some help here. Each time I build a city it eventually runs out of resources and I have zero growth. I have tried moving the icons around for each person, and irrigating, to no avail. How do I get the growth going again? And how do I build ships to access places over the oceans?Thanks,Kev

You need to build aquaducts it sounds like. After that it'll stop growing again (pop 12). Build hospital when you get the tech (that comes in the 3rd age).

Ships. Astronomy tech will allow it I believe (or navigation? I always forget). Great lighthouse project gives you a bit more access for awhile.

Also, if you build your cities along rivers, quite often you don't have to build an aquaduct (I still do sometimes, maybe I'm placing my settler slightly in a wrong place?).

If you build a city on fresh water (river or lake) then you don't need an aqueduct, and couldn't build one if you wanted to. If you can build an aqueduct, that means you missed the river. Happened to me once, and I didn't notice until I stopped growing. When in doubt, click and select terrain info before building. If it shows 0 gold, it is not on the river.

Shipe can be built only into coastal city, after map making, but those galley sink in sea square unless you built the great lighthouse( galley will sink in ocean square). Navigation allow you to safely cross ocean square. Also if you got a harbor in your coastal city your shipe will be veteran.

Originally posted by Dralix
When in doubt, click and select terrain info before building. If it shows 0 gold, it is not on the river.

Cool, didn't know that. My game just got better. Thanks! :)

Thanks Sandtide and everyone else for the replies, very much appreciated and very helpful.
Kev

Top Bottom