• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Newbie Questions - Ask here and get Answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by MadScot
UN Vote
[deletia]
OK, in GOTM-15 (Russia) I had 3 attempts to win by diplomacy, which all ended in stalemates - 1782, 1804 and 1826 (after which I gave up on world opinion :)). At that point it's 2 years/turn, so it's definitely 11 turns after a stalemated vote.

I'm also pretty7 sure about the 20 turn cycle if you just decline the vote.
Nope, it's 11 there too. After seeing your post, I just created a test scenario where I started in the modern age with fission and a leader, rushing the UN on the first turn. The intial vote was allowed in 3950BC and I declined. Subsequent votes, also declined, occurred in 3400BC, 2850 BC, and 2390BC which were all 11 turn intervals by my count. This was under PTW 1.21f US.

Originally posted by Speaker

Think of science this way: you are researching a technology that requires 100 beakers. Assuming you can afford it, at full (100%) science you make
10 beakers per turn, meaning you will research the technology in 10 turns at full science. By running 10% science you make 2 beakers, so it will take 50 turns to finish research, but since the maximum research time is 40 turns, you will essentially get the last 10 beakers for free. If you start at 10% and go 3 turns like that, you will have accumulated 6 beakers. Switching to 100% will then give 10 more per turn, but you still have to get 100 beakers. See what I mean?

So it sounds like you are saying the free beakers come at the end, not the beginning like I thought. So my plan is a bust.

By the way, is there a chart somewhere that shows the number of beakers required for each tech?
Thanks

OK pd

I think we need that part of the FAQ updated, since it still claims 20 for calling the vote, and your example definitely shows not.

Who 'owns' the FAQ thread?

Originally posted by MadScot
OK pd

I think we need that part of the FAQ updated, since it still claims 20 for calling the vote, and your example definitely shows not.

Who 'owns' the FAQ thread?
Sirp and Turner_727 tag-team the FAQ. That page was posted by Turner so I have just sent a PM asking for the change based upon our two posts.

Any additional advice on allies would be appreciated. If I establish an embassy, it seems like I open myself up to spying. Are some of the civs generally more trustworthy than others? My experience has shown me not to trust the Romans, Babylonians or Persians. But I do not know who I can trust.
Thanks

Originally posted by vincenzo
Any additional advice on allies would be appreciated. If I establish an embassy, it seems like I open myself up to spying. Are some of the civs generally more trustworthy than others? My experience has shown me not to trust the Romans, Babylonians or Persians. But I do not know who I can trust.
Thanks

You really can't trust any AI in any sitution. If an AI gets desperate enough it'll do about anything.

Though inside of the editor there is an option that lets you choose the "Agresivness" of the AI's. Differant AI's have differant ratings. So some are more likely to attack, but as Civ3 is such a brilliantly made randomizer. This only effects the probility of the AI attacking.

Things an AI might attack for:

1) Important resource you have, but it lacks (aluminiun is one of these)

2) The AI has a rather small amount of terrority.

3) Culture build-up (not sure if this is actually reason, but I've had some games where I started to build up my culture and the AI attacked me)

Originally posted by vincenzo

By the way, is there a chart somewhere that shows the number of beakers required for each tech?
Thanks

How about a calculator?

Grey Fox's Tech Calculator

A chart would be confusing, as the actual beakers required varies on map size, # of civs left in the game, and # of civs that you know that already have that tech. So this calculator is great!

Apparently Democracy is more popular in the Civ-universe than in ours. Why is it that once a Civ has Democracy, they immediately switch to it? I know it's my favorite, but for all the folderol about Favored and Shunned governments (I know it's an attitude thing, but still), what's the point in having EVERY SINGLE OPPONENT in Democracy? Doesn't that illustrate that it's overpowered, or that . . . I don't know. Just very frustrated that even w/ a tech lead I can Propagandize other civs for maybe twenty turns at best. Any reason for this change?

No, in reality, Democracy isn't over-powered. The AI just places too high of a value on it. Unless you really need the extra worker speed, it is often best to stay in Republic than to keep going through anarchy to switch governments all the time when war happens, like the AI does all the time. Get some major world wars going on, so all the AI switches to monarchy/communism.

Originally posted by pdescobar
Sirp and Turner_727 tag-team the FAQ. That page was posted by Turner so I have just sent a PM asking for the change based upon our two posts.

Posting the update to the FAQ thread now.

Thanks for point that out, guys. :goodjob:

[Edit] Hey, what's the chances of y'all bumping that test to past 1950, when it flips over to 1 year a turn? Just so we can say we covered that base. I know I've gotten the UN when it's been 5 to 20 years a turn (different times/different games) so I suspected I wouldn't have to hold the vote every 20 years, which at that time would be every 1 to 4 turns. . . . [/edit]

In fact these are more technical questions, but I think I can find answers here instead of opening a topic:

1. On modern times, there is no music on the dialogue box when I talk to some civs like the Romans, Greeks and Egyptians. Every music and sound is perfect, but I get silence when I talk to them. Is it a known bug?

2. Is there anyway to make the game on large or huge maps faster?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Wardog
In fact these are more technical questions, but I think I can find answers here instead of opening a topic:

1. On modern times, there is no music on the dialogue box when I talk to some civs like the Romans, Greeks and Egyptians. Every music and sound is perfect, but I get silence when I talk to them. Is it a known bug?

2. Is there anyway to make the game on large or huge maps faster?

Thanks in advance.

1 - Possibly. If you can reproduce it, make a thread in the Bugs Forum.

2 - You can turn off unit animations, and at a worst case scenario, turn off "show friend/enemy moves".

ive never played higher than warlord but i wanna move up in levels. ive heard of a few bonuses and stuff that the AI gets when you play on diety level... What exactly are the bonuses they get at each harder level?
thanks

Originally posted by Peebo
ive never played higher than warlord but i wanna move up in levels. ive heard of a few bonuses and stuff that the AI gets when you play on diety level... What exactly are the bonuses they get at each harder level?
thanks

Check out This thread

and

TheNiceOne's thread on AI-Human Trading

This is also covered in the FAQ Thread, which has links to the two threads I have linked here.

There's now a new Newbie Thread here. This thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom