Newbie Questions

Omegon3

Prince
Hope you'll excuse these questions, but I finally got FfH 041 downloaded and am playing Orbis for the first time... I've been playing FfH for quite a while and just recently played a few games of Fall Further (never actually finishing one due to miscellaneous problems...).

First off, what does the blue percentage in the top right bar indicated?

Secondly, given your change in the quarry, is it safe to assume that the only time I will want to build a mine is if there is actually a resource that requires it or is there some other reason that I might want to build a mine?

How the heck do you get rid of a troll cave? I found that taking hunters to a lair and exploring them removed the lair. But (and maybe it doesn't work for a cetratus) I found that I couldn't explore a troll cave...???

In the description for planar gates, it indicates that they can spawn chaos marauders if a carnival is built in a city. However, I cannot seem to find where carnivals exist for building in Orbis... Am I mistaken or is there something that replaces carnivals to spawn chaos marauders?

Is there a maximum number (like one) fishing villages that can be constructed per city?

Thanks!!

I can answer some of your questions..

The blue bar? I don't have a blue bar?

Yeah you only want to build a mine on recourses that require a mine. The only resource that requires a quarry instead of a mine is stone/marble. Every other resource takes a mine not quarry.

Troll caves are gone when the swamp is gone... You can drain swamps when you get sanitation tech.

I dont know about carnivals... IIRC I thought they were a unique building to belsaraphs, but they dont get plannar gates ... so sry can't help you there.

Fishing villages can only be built 3 spaces away from each other - so its possible to have a few. but usually just one or 2.

Yeah, sputnik323 is right :)

On the questions he didn't know:

Which civ did you play? Some, like Scions and Grigori, now have a percentage, but at the left of the screen. This is too indicate the chance you have to spawn a Settler for Scions (Awakened iirc) and an Adventurer for Grigori.

Carnivals are Colosseum in Orbis, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, sputnik323 is right :)

On the questions he didn't know:

Which civ did you play? Some, like Scions and Grigori, now have a percentage, but at the left of the screen. This is too indicate the chance you have to spawn a Settler for Scions (Awakened iirc) and an Adventurer for Grigori.

Carnivals are Colosseum in Orbis, if I'm not mistaken.
It seems to be related to my "hotseat" game (I couldn't decide which civ to take so... I took SIX!!). The Scions WERE one of the civs, but it was appearing for all of my civilizations. If this represented the chance to spawn an Awakened (i.e. Settler), then it seems a little funny. It started out around 8%, then as the game progressed it kept climbing and climbing reaching a max of a little over 19% before my game crashed (reported in the Orbis bug thread).

I can answer some of your questions..

The blue bar? I don't have a blue bar?

Yeah you only want to build a mine on recourses that require a mine. The only resource that requires a quarry instead of a mine is stone/marble. Every other resource takes a mine not quarry.

Troll caves are gone when the swamp is gone... You can drain swamps when you get sanitation tech.

I dont know about carnivals... IIRC I thought they were a unique building to belsaraphs, but they dont get plannar gates ... so sry can't help you there.

Fishing villages can only be built 3 spaces away from each other - so its possible to have a few. but usually just one or 2.
Thanks for the feedback, Sputnik323!!! That helps a lot. You mention stone above -- is this actually in the game because, so far, I haven't seen it...??? The blue bar I believe was answered; it was just kind of weird the way it showed if it is a percentage of the chance of getting an Awakened or Adventurer (I wasn't playing the Grigori so can't relate to this).

Your answer regarding the troll cave is IMMENSELY helpful!!! I wound up fortifying a soldier on top of the cave to keep it from spawning a troll... :lol:

The carnival has always been a standard building in FfH (in fact, it is required to construct the various animal cages there).

No, stone has been removed in FFH itself in fact :)

And I can confirm that carnivals are now colosseum :)

Your answer regarding the troll cave is IMMENSELY helpful!!! I wound up fortifying a soldier on top of the cave to keep it from spawning a troll... :lol:

How did that work out? I seem to recall having had Lizardmen spawn beneath me, bumping my units to another plot. Maybe Trolls are different.

How did that work out? I seem to recall having had Lizardmen spawn beneath me, bumping my units to another plot. Maybe Trolls are different.

Yeah the best way to stop trolls before having sanitation is to place a unit on top of the swamp...

No, stone has been removed in FFH itself in fact :)

And I can confirm that carnivals are now colosseum :)
Yeah, I know that FfH removed stone; one reason why I put in and tied it to the construction of several buildings. I personally LOVE production enhancers and stone is a great thing for that (along with enhancing the production of some buildings). I also added a few more resources like adding coal (using the same picture as their gunpowder) and had it enhance forge production (I replaced the use of gunpowder for gunpowder units with sulphur).

Do colosseums, for the Sheaim, turn out Chaos Marauders?

Thanks for the response, Opera!!!!

I didn't have any problems with something bumping off the square. What I had problems with is keeping those units alive and kicking when other barbarian units attacked them. Sure seems like Orbis made their barbarian units a lot tougher than in FfH... :eek:

Yeah, I know that FfH removed stone; one reason why I put in and tied it to the construction of several buildings. I personally LOVE production enhancers and stone is a great thing for that (along with enhancing the production of some buildings). I also added a few more resources like adding coal (using the same picture as their gunpowder) and had it enhance forge production (I replaced the use of gunpowder for gunpowder units with sulphur).

Do colosseums, for the Sheaim, turn out Chaos Marauders?

Thanks for the response, Opera!!!!

could you upload this mod of yours? I love having resources tied to production... I always think a few resources should have special benefits... (i.e. high quality weapons ect.)

could you upload this mod of yours? I love having resources tied to production... I always think a few resources should have special benefits... (i.e. high quality weapons ect.)
I don't have them retrofitted into Orbis yet; I was playing the basic game before I started doing any "modmodmods" just to get a feel for the game. I like what the team has done. I had tried combining Orbis in with Fall Further, but this wound up to be an abysmal failure (kept getting one of those VERY annoying "Civ 4 must close" messages that tells you absolutely nothing about the error; I think that I'm missing some art work, but I have no idea what). Besides, although they did a great job with Fall Further, I think that there are some issues with it that the development team just doesn't want to acknowledge (blamed it on the "hacker"). I'll try uploading retrofitted Orbis once I get it up and running.

My mod typically:

1. Adds spearmen and pikeman though Orbis has already done this...

2. Adds a few animal units available for public use -- krakens (available with sailing; my wife LOVES their sea exploration ability), griffons (again, my wife won't let me drop them... Available with animal handling), and sand lions (I never invested in the manas to summon them and wanted to put the art to use; they're basically an invisible unit). I also super-fast cheetahs both as wild and tame beasts (available with Animal Husbandry; they've been kept as pets by many civilizations). The cheetahs are pretty much a free "caged" animal since you can try them and immediately put them into a cage. All new tame land animals are capable of capturing other animals and seeing invisible animals.

3. Added several new wild animals including black panthers, cave lions, and cave bears, Siberian tigers.

3. Added quite a few wonders; I have to figure out how they merge with the new Orbis wonders and buildings. I would like to add the Guild of Hammers back into the Orbis package as this is one of my favorite wonders.

4. Add quite a few buildings -- especially for research and production (NEVER have enough production). Machinists shops are available to all civs but a couple with a special "Tool Workshop" available to the Luchirp (since the Khazad already have a special forge setup).

5. Several bonuses including coffee (mainly for happiness), salt (definite health bonus), sulphur (replaces gunpowder in general usage plus adds a health bonus), coal (production enhancer with negative health benefits), silver (though Orbis already added this one). and potatoes. If I can figure out how to do the icons, I'd also like to add shrimp, cocoa, eggs, beehives, and buffalos that I downloaded from CivFanatics. The bonuses were added to the various buildings that relate to them.

6. One thing that I noticed in playing "hotseat" with the Mercurians and Infernals (my wife says I have multiple personalties since I play several at a time and one civ will tend to curse at another) was that it the Mercurians lost Basium or the Infernals Hyborem that all the "leader traits" were lost. I'd like, if I can figure out how, to add a "leader" figure for each civilization that they must protect at all costs or lost their traits. This has been done with a few other civs like the FF Kahdi or the Illians (Ulric Ascended), but I'd like to extend it. I just have to pick good lookin' art for each leader (and, of course, figure out how its done)...

Anyway, if this sounds like anything Orbis fans would be interested in, let me know and I'll TRY to make it available once I have it completed.

I don't have them retrofitted into Orbis yet; I was playing the basic game before I started doing any "modmodmods" just to get a feel for the game. I like what the team has done. I had tried combining Orbis in with Fall Further, but this wound up to be an abysmal failure (kept getting one of those VERY annoying "Civ 4 must close" messages that tells you absolutely nothing about the error; I think that I'm missing some art work, but I have no idea what). Besides, although they did a great job with Fall Further, I think that there are some issues with it that the development team just doesn't want to acknowledge (blamed it on the "hacker"). I'll try uploading retrofitted Orbis once I get it up and running.
Merging Orbis and FF is a bit crazy :p They're not really the same thing anyway, they shouldn't be merged.

2. Adds a few animal units available for public use -- krakens (available with sailing; my wife LOVES their sea exploration ability), griffons (again, my wife won't let me drop them... Available with animal handling), and sand lions (I never invested in the manas to summon them and wanted to put the art to use; they're basically an invisible unit). I also super-fast cheetahs both as wild and tame beasts (available with Animal Husbandry; they've been kept as pets by many civilizations). The cheetahs are pretty much a free "caged" animal since you can try them and immediately put them into a cage. All new tame land animals are capable of capturing other animals and seeing invisible animals.
Huh? You mean like you can actually train griffons in cities?

3. Added quite a few wonders; I have to figure out how they merge with the new Orbis wonders and buildings. I would like to add the Guild of Hammers back into the Orbis package as this is one of my favorite wonders.

4. Add quite a few buildings -- especially for research and production (NEVER have enough production). Machinists shops are available to all civs but a couple with a special "Tool Workshop" available to the Luchirp (since the Khazad already have a special forge setup).
Do you have some list?

5. Several bonuses including coffee (mainly for happiness), salt (definite health bonus), sulphur (replaces gunpowder in general usage plus adds a health bonus), coal (production enhancer with negative health benefits), silver (though Orbis already added this one). and potatoes. If I can figure out how to do the icons, I'd also like to add shrimp, cocoa, eggs, beehives, and buffalos that I downloaded from CivFanatics. The bonuses were added to the various buildings that relate to them.
Coffee and salt are in Orbis too ;)

Anyway, if this sounds like anything Orbis fans would be interested in, let me know and I'll TRY to make it available once I have it completed.

Like Opera said some of these things are in. But I'm always interested in new resources and uses for them. Especially sea resources... i can never seem to get enough sea resources. Most of my games I'm lucky to find 1 fish, crab, or clam, with multiple sea-side cities.

Kinda related to your post is new animals. It would be nice to have new weak animals to start the game and allow stronger animals and barbarians to appear later. Scouts are almost totally worthless in Orbis patch c with LE 37alpha. They can't kill anything around (maybe wolves but there never seems to be many wolves.

Top Bottom