[BTS] News: BOTM 253 Results and Congratulations

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
It seems this emperor game on a small map was quite challenging - judging from that only half the people entering managed to win. Top of the pack for score was @hhhawk, securing the gold medal and the cow with an 1765 AD domination. @Smiregal managed a slightly faster domination but a lower final score, getting the silver medal and fastest domination. Noone else was able to get a victory, of any type, pre-1800 AD, so I'll just say, congratulations all on your attempts!

Summary of Medal Winners:

hhhawk: 1765 AD Domination Victory, 236,020 points.

smiregal: 1735 AD Domination Victory, 173,591 points.

Powerfaker: 1846 AD Domination Victory, 129,996 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

frederiksberg: 1862 AD Spaceship Victory, 121,762 points.

Bemep42: 1828 AD Diplomatic Victory, 94,246 points.

Other Award Winners:

Jovan Kukic: 1828 AD Domination Victory, 116,480 points.

Conquistador 63: 1866 AD Spaceship Victory, 112,826 points.

crofter: 1836 AD Diplomatic Victory, 78,101 points.

sevnhuts: 1966 AD Spaceship Loss, 8,430 points.

kcd_swede: 1160 AD Conquest Loss, 525 points.

>> See the full results here.
>> See the updated global rankings here.
>> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
>> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
>> Award symbols are listed here.

Here's where everyone settled.

The Small Print:
The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

It is funny how one bad decision early can set you back a long way. And every bad decision begets many more. :blush: But it was fun until it wasn't, so thank you GOTM staff for making a red ambulance for me.:grouphug:

No conquest medal, that's a missed opportunity .......

The game was indeed much harder than you would expect. Tough teching combined with notorious techracers on the other continent.

No conquest medal, that's a missed opportunity .......

The game was indeed much harder than you would expect. Tough teching combined with notorious techracers on the other continent.
In the final turn before reaching Alpha Centauri, Pacal was willing to capitulate. I suppose if I accepted it would boost my score, but the game would then award me a random VC between Conquest, Domination and Space. It would be a too embarrassing late finish date for the formers, so I did not risk and kept my space race victory.
If I only took that chance...:hammer2:

Oh, I actually started this one. I don't have the mod version quite right, so it wasn't going to count anyway (and I'm not really focused on scoring / competition anyway), but I think I was in a good place compared to the pack, based on posts here. Louis conquered before quite a few others, tech in a good spot and heading into the mid game. I settled forward for the pig / copper, and was able to mostly choke Louis (he only got to two cities, only a short period with iron), while expanding the economy.

I despise tech trading and a lot of the AI diplo-tricks, so I imagine my path would have been quite different to others. Maybe I'll finish a shadow-game off at some point.

Oh, I actually started this one. I don't have the mod version quite right, so it wasn't going to count anyway (and I'm not really focused on scoring / competition anyway), but I think I was in a good place compared to the pack, based on posts here. Louis conquered before quite a few others, tech in a good spot and heading into the mid game. I settled forward for the pig / copper, and was able to mostly choke Louis (he only got to two cities, only a short period with iron), while expanding the economy.

Great that you were able to play, but out of interest, how do you think your mod version wasn't quite right? If you didn't have the correct patches and BUFFY mod installed, then you wouldn't have been able to open the starting save to play at all, so from the fact that you started the game, I would assume you must have the correct mod version.

Great that you were able to play, but out of interest, how do you think your mod version wasn't quite right? If you didn't have the correct patches and BUFFY mod installed, then you wouldn't have been able to open the starting save to play at all, so from the fact that you started the game, I would assume you must have the correct mod version.
I can play the game - downloaded from the site. But every time I load the mod it pops up with a warning to say that something isn't working and so no games can be submitted.

I can play the game - downloaded from the site. But every time I load the mod it pops up with a warning to say that something isn't working and so no games can be submitted.

Ah OK. I don't want to say definitively what the problem is without knowing the actual text of the warning. But the most common reason for seeing a warning when you start a game is that you're not playing with admin permissions. If you're playing on a Windows PC, the competition requires that the game runs with admin permissions on the local machine - otherwise the BUFFY mod can't record all the information our software needs to process your entry. If that's the problem, then you can fix it by running the game as an administrator - there's lots of information online about how to do that, but on random googling, this blog tells you how to run as administrator: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/run-as-admin/..

(Note that if you do run as administrator, then when you start the game, Windows will pop up a dialog asking if you want that program to make changes to your machine. That's a standard Windows warning and is fine to OK it for playing Civ).

Top Bottom