1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM161 - Pacal II

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by kcd_swede, Sep 26, 2018.

1. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Oh..you just had to go a spoil my party, WT :D

Yes, plain desert does get significantly enhanced by the city tile

2. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Perhaps this rule sums it up:
    "Settling a city on a tile that yields less than 2food, 1hammer or 1 commerce increases the yield of that tile up to that ammount. In the case that a tile yields more, the extra yield is not removed." ?

3. justjohn

justjohn Chieftain

Yes, that is correct, with the possible exception of fallout. I cannot remember how fallout interacts with settling, and I cannot test it now.

4. lymond

Can one even settle in fallout?

5. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Another exception is flood plain. The city removes the floodplain. (also forests and jungles) Avoid settling on floodplains without a good reason.
    I don't believe you can settle on fallout. Not sure about ice at the moment.
    Cities make desert and tundra better.

6. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Floodplain breaks my rule!
    Ice and tundra both have less than 2f 1h 1c and is thus increased to that amount, just like desert.

Settling on fallout just seems to remove the fallout.
    Fallout seem to be a layer, similar to forest/jungle/floodplains.

7. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Floodplain doesn't break your rule. You just have to remember that settling the city removes any forest/floodplain/jungle (these are known in WB as features). So mentally remove the floodplain - and in most cases you're on desert so that reduces food to zero. Then apply your rule: The city brings that up to 2F1H1C.

8. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Yes, thats true. It's abit strange with the flood plains. Only on desert tiles in games, but can be on any terrain with worldbuilder it seems.

I noticed a thing now when I tried: If you place a fallout on a floodplain in worldbuilder, and then have your workers scrub it, the floodplain is gone.
    I have never seen it in a game however.
    Have any of you had fallout fom nuke or plant end up on a floodplain, and did it cause it to turn into desert?

9. lymond

I thought fallout tends to degrade the terrain once scrubbed, so a grass tile would end up a plains tile, and a plains a desert.

Flood plains are only on deserts on standardized maps (Pangaea, Continents, Fractal, etc.). There are some maps like Fantasy where you will see all kinds of things like FPs on grassland with 4 food. Rainforest, which is non-standard, has some peculiar tile possibilities. Well, WB you can do pretty much anything..no rules there...it is for modding.

10. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

And you can do more monkeyshine if you edit the wb file with a text editor than you can with the standard wb interface. ;)