NEWS: Day 1 Release for Mac and Linux [confirmed to be incorrect]

Is there anyone from Aspyr on here? Maybe we could get an update. *hopes*

Aspyr had been known to check in on the Civ V Mac forums, where this same info has been posted (for lack of a BE Mac subforum), but they haven't commented. I also tried Twitter without success.

I apologize, but there seems to have been some confusion in communications to this point.

Right now we have not announced a release date for Mac and Linux. I don't have any further information at this time.

I apologize, but there seems to have been some confusion in communications to this point.

Right now we have not announced a release date for Mac and Linux. I don't have any further information at this time.

That's what I figured, but I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thank you, Pete. :)

Well I hope at least that when the game will finally be released price will have dropped too.

Well I hope at least that when the game will finally be released price will have dropped too.

Even the Firaxis website in one spot still says "Fall" for Mac & Linux, which gives Aspyr until roughly Dec 20. I wouldn't bank on a price drop by then.

It might get swallowed up into a 33% Steam Sale over the holidays though.

Moderator Action: I've updated the thread title to reflect that same day release for Mac & Linux isn't confirmed.

Bah, Have to dual boot till it's done.

And there are more than 7 of us. I gave up on MS this year, so there are officially 8. :p~

Thanks for the update. I actually bought Windows and installed it on bootcamp just to be able to play Civ:BE on release (all other games I play, ie CK2, EU4, CiV, Diablo 3, Hearthstone and WoW are on MacOS) so I would feel conflicted if it came out for Mac on Oct 24 now. :p

Most interesting part to me: Yosemite is required. Apparently there's some newer OpenGL api they're dependent on?

yeah, seems kinda crappy to me as well.

It only came out last week (OS) which means they're either just starting the graphics stuff now, or they defaulted to 'Eveyone will upgrade anyways, so menh).

funny enough, in the FAQ, they have listed cards that will not be supported. Which may be the same cards that don't support the new stuff in the new OS.

It does look like the exoplanets expansion will only be available via Steam rather than the Mac store itself. As someone who's always having trouble with Steam, I wish it were somehow possible to gain access to the free Exoplanets through a pre-order arrangements with the Mac store--but no such luck. :(

Still, glad to hear it will probably be out in time for Christmas.

I guess when the updates are free, it helps with their support model by assuming the latest stuff. They've probably been developing against the beta. This goes a long way to explaining why it wasn't a simultaneous release.

Doesn't bother me personally, as I tend to be a day 1 updater and already have Yosemite running. But I did find it interesting and could see people having an issue, if they planned to delay their update due to some critical productivity software - or the fact that it breaks Civ V (hotkeys don't work).

I expect that they're banking on some OpenGL hardware acceleration and so only support cards that include it.

Requires Iris graphics or better!? So they're limiting it to Macs that have been out less than a year. Brilliant! They're going to sell a whole bunch. :rolleyes:

kjsdfhskldafhsdkf

I hope it's something similar to the current requirements, a la there are "unsupported" chips on which it still runs well, like the HD 3000.

Edit: Sidenote -- the powers that be over there might want to change the Mac CPU requirement from "i3" to "i5", as Macs have never used an i3. It looks a little... well... strange, to say the least.

-- signed,

quite PO'd Mac owner who has a 2.7 Ghz i7 that'll use 512 MB RAM, but "only" an HD 3000. :rolleyes:

Requires Iris graphics or better!? So they're limiting it to Macs that have been out less than a year. Brilliant! They're going to sell a whole bunch. :rolleyes:

kjsdfhskldafhsdkf

I hope it's something similar to the current requirements, a la there are "unsupported" chips on which it still runs well, like the HD 3000.

Edit: Sidenote -- the powers that be over there might want to change the Mac CPU requirement from "i3" to "i5", as Macs have never used an i3. It looks a little... well... strange, to say the least.

-- signed,

quite PO'd Mac owner who has a 2.7 Ghz i7 that'll use 512 MB RAM, but "only" an HD 3000. :rolleyes:

Older MBPs and iMacs had some i3 models.

I'm sure you're welcome to take your HD 3000 for a spin and see what happens. But this is, as far as I'm aware, Aspyr's first time converting a DX11-only game, so they've probably radically rebuilt their DX9->OpenGL toolkit to a DX11->OpenGL toolkit and wanted to get it as current as possible for best performance and to "future proof" it - which probably means assuming some OpenGL hardware acceleration that your HD 3000 won't have.

Older MBPs and iMacs had some i3 models.

By golly, you're right. I stand corrected.

I'm sure you're welcome to take your HD 3000 for a spin and see what happens. But this is, as far as I'm aware, Aspyr's first time converting a DX11-only game, so they've probably radically rebuilt their DX9->OpenGL toolkit to a DX11->OpenGL toolkit and wanted to get it as current as possible for best performance and to "future proof" it - which probably means assuming some OpenGL hardware acceleration that your HD 3000 won't have.

I guess I'll have to be patient ("patient"... is that the right word? I'm not very familiar with it) to see what others say after release and/or hope the requirements change.

Top Bottom