[PTW] News: GOTM 179 Russia, Emperor - Results and Congratulations

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Here are the results of the Q3 Classic game.

Eight players submitted wins. Four dominations headed the score table, followed by three 20K culture victories and a Diplo win.

Congratulations to all who played and submitted.

Summary of Medal Winners:

Lanzelot: 760 AD Domination Victory, 10,778 points.

Nata: 1290 AD Domination Victory, 9,463 points.

garvarg: 1465 AD Domination Victory, 7,517 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

Cotta: 1860 AD Cultural 20k Victory, 4,257 points.

Captain_Jack: 1922 AD Diplomatic Victory, 3,384 points.

Other Award Winners:

aobaki: 1580 AD Domination Victory, 7,157 points.

milr: 1894 AD Cultural 20k Victory, 3,803 points.

>> See the full results here.
>> See the QSC results here.
>> See the updated global rankings here.
>> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
>> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
>> Award symbols are listed here.

What value does the "Fastest Finish" award measure? And is it a good thing?
(Also, this is my first victory in the Game of the Month competition. It feels good.)

What value does the "Fastest Finish" award measure? And is it a good thing?
The finish date per victory condition. So basically, among all the players, who submitted a game that ended with a Diplomatic Victory, your date of 1922 AD was the fasted.
This prize is awarded in 7 different categories, for all 6 victory conditions (Domination, Conquest, Cultural 100K, Cultural 20K, Diplomatic and Space Race) and the 7th category being the "Cow Award" that's awarded to the game with the highest "projected base score at 2050 AD".
And sure it's a good thing: if you earn an award in every category, you are awarded an Eptathlon, the hallmark of an experienced allround-player. In the history of the GOTM Competition (so since 2001), only 17 players have achieved this highest distinction, and in the COTM Competition 18 players. You can select the type of table in Alan's link above: "See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here". There are 4 tables: a table for gold/silver/bronze medal winners (highest scores achieved in each competition) and award winners (fastest finish date achieved in each competition), both for GOTM and COTM.
So you are now a member of the GOTM Award table! https://gotm.civfanatics.net/pantheon/index.php?table=gotm_awards.php

Awesome! I know it helps that there aren't a hundred competitors anymore, but I'm still very pleased.
This whole Civ3 community is very well organized, very welcoming, and very helpful with explanations. Thanks to all of you.

You’d have to ask the original founders of the gotm. But since the word is based on Greek roots, its spelling in the Latin alphabet is kind of negotiable. Note also that in British English, leading ‘h’s on words are often silent.

For those of us whose aspirations are less lofty, there is also the unofficial "Low Eptathlon," where one earns lowest scoring victories of all types and an ambulance. The only way I'd ever get a real Eptathlon is by collusion with my competitors, so that everyone else goes for a different victory condition and tells me they are, so that I'd select my missing victory condition. I'm missing conquest and domination, both of which I neither really enjoy nor am good at.

For the low ones, I'm still missing domination and diplomatic for GOTM, but I have hopes of getting these. If I do, I'll feel a great sense of accomplishment. I don't think ambulances are counted anywhere, but I have a huge collection of those, both red and green. Some of the green ones made me very happy, although I don't have fond memories of any of the red ones.

Top Bottom