News: WOTM27 - Starts 27 December

Aztec Jaguars and Arabian Camel Archers sound positively frightening. What an intriguing game concept! This one needs a test game for sure... maybe several. Good thing it is starting over a holiday!

Won't have to rush that monument to pop the fat cross to hook those resources, I suppose ... but we may need to rush it for the cultural defense, unless we put our cities on hills ... wait! ... what hills!?

(Can we live in the trees ... ?)

dv

As to where to settle. I seem to recall reading that each floodplain gives 0.4 unhealthiness(?) That would seem to give an argument for settling 1NE or 1SW, so you only get 2 floodplains, and therefore no unhealthiness from them. In place looks to me like you get 3. If that reasoning holds, I imagine the ideal placing for cities is each one on a river and with 2 floodplains, to maximize food/health.
Well, slavery will turn food into hammers ... I'd want as much food as possible in my Bureau capital (if I live that long) ... I can spare forests to offset the floodplains ill health. And its Noble.

dV

AIs who have resourceless UUs:
Incan quecha
Babylonian bowman
Mali skirmisher
Aztec jaguar
Korean hwacha
Ottoman janissary
Arabian camel archer
French musketeer
English redcoats

As to where to settle. I seem to recall reading that each floodplain gives 0.4 unhealthiness(?) That would seem to give an argument for settling 1NE or 1SW, so you only get 2 floodplains, and therefore no unhealthiness from them. In place looks to me like you get 3. If that reasoning holds, I imagine the ideal placing for cities is each one on a river and with 2 floodplains, to maximize food/health.

Thank you for the list. BTW logic tells me that in reality either 2 or 3 flood plains tiles will give you the same benefit.

2 tiles = 2 extra food and zero unhealth = 2 extra food
3 tiles = 3 extra food and 1 unhealth point = 2 extra food

So if you keep two forest tiles in your fat cross, you get the food benefit for a long time while city grow. I for one want 20 flood plains in my fat cross. just kidding...humm Not.....just wishful thinking. :D Can you imagine such city with waterwheels and State Property?

Only Jaguars are bugging me. I am with you in this one. Cats are a must in this game for a comfortable game.

I am not sure what I want to do in this game. Here are my logical paths after Bronze Working for pop rushing.

Fast domination: Use oracle to get cats and dominate.
Fast Conquest: Oracle for Feudalism and get Vassels.
All others will benefit from Buro and representation....hummm is the future stone and marble less? :confused:

You can not pop another resource with a quary, right? Even if it has a mine on it.

So the only challenge this game has is health. Specially since we should be able to build a million cheap warriors at least untill Gunpowder showup. So many possibilities and only one VC choice. :( :D

I think I'm with cas on this one - if Monty is anywhere near us I'll be warrior or archer rushing him I think. He has the added bonus of going all out trying found a religion for us. If he isn't close then... I guess he might 'expand' into his nearest neighbour and then becomes an even bigger problem?

Arabian camel archers could be very painful too...

Warlords doesn't give the +1 :hammers: for workshops in caste system does it? Seems like Feudalism -> Guilds and then on to Chemistry would be the best way for any decent production from the workshops. And if you're first to Chemistry then warring with the grenadiers is on the cards. The real trick is getting to that point I think.

I was going to say something silly like: if I only we had Corporations like Mining Inc for production... This being warlords isn't the only problem with that idea.

..... except for some flood plains, is completely forested and entirely flat.

Two questions, if I may.

Does "forested" mean just trees, or could there be some jungles as well?

Desert and ice tiles usually have no trees. Does that mean that all desert and ice tiles have been edited to turn them into plains or grassland?

Does "forested" mean just trees, or could there be some jungles as well?
All jungle tiles have been converted to forest tiles. Unless I missed one, there should be no jungle tiles.

Desert and ice tiles usually have no trees. Does that mean that all desert and ice tiles have been edited to turn them into plains or grassland?
There are two kinds of ice tiles, ones that represent land and ones that are sea ice. Any land ice tiles have been forested. Deserts were either converted to flood plains or changed to grassland or plains, again, unless I missed one somewhere, so no 100% guarantee. :crazyeye:

In this WOTM, you will be playing in a world that has exhausted its resources and suffered a cataclysm in which civilization has begun all over again, from what is now known as 4000 BC.

So, Civilization has used up all of the world's resources...
All that is left are trees...

And we get to chop them all down to build catapults to conquer all the other nations.
:rolleyes:
Spoiler :
insert sound file from Fallout: War, it never changes...

Merry Christmas Civ Fans!

No guarantees that everything is as it should be, but I've tried my best. All AI have resourceless UUs, I think... :crazyeye:

No guarantees that everything is as it should be, but I've tried my best. All AI have resourceless UUs, I think... :crazyeye:
If this file was built in the HoF Mod, please rename it before playing to ensure the HoF Mod does not think it is the WOTM27 save. This could cause problems to show up in your submitted save file of the real WOTM.

adrianj:

Thx for posting a testgame!

However the WOTM is actually on normal speed, while the testsave is at epic. Just so you know! :)

Instead of making someone remake the save, it is now renamed and adjusted to Normal Game Speed. :xmassign: Attached below:

Cool! Thanks Leif.
(Don't suppose I could push my luck and request a challenger version? ;))
(...'course, if I weren't such a sluggard I suppose I could just make the adjustments myself... :blush:)

Yes, Thanks Leif. Game speed is a pretty significant error on my part :p I was in a hurry putting it together before leaving for christmas holiday - I won't even get a chance to play it myself until a week into January.

I thought the name was sufficiently different from the real save, what with 'Test' in there?

As for the strategy - I'm definitely toying with the idea of a super early warrior rush. Has anyone else had success with this kind of strategy at this level and normal game speed?

As for the strategy - I'm definitely toying with the idea of a super early warrior rush. Has anyone else had success with this kind of strategy at this level and normal game speed?

If the other civ is close enough and they don't start with mining and they don't found budhism or hinduism as a first tech, I had some success warrior rushing with 3 warriors. Cuts your early growth, have to use a 2h tile (plains forest) to time it right.

civs that start with mining possible BW first tech = slavery before you get there = whip 2nd warrior as soon as you declare. first tech med / poly = 40% culture possible before you can get there

3 warriors vs 1 AI warrior is not guaranteed, but I was having pretty good success with it since no AI can be on a hill. Obviously don't attack across a river. :nope: If the first warrior doesn't damage the opponent, might as well save the other two and back off / get peace / worker steal. Making a second attempt with more warriors later is very situational...not sure it is worth it.

edit: I did not test 4 vs 1 using a few extra turns. That might be preferable if you don't find the target civ right away. The slavery/whip issue would be the main concern then...less so for the 40% culture defense.

cas

Cool! Thanks Leif.
(Don't suppose I could push my luck and request a challenger version? ;))
(...'course, if I weren't such a sluggard I suppose I could just make the adjustments myself... :blush:)
:xmassign:
Game Speed Normal and Prince Difficulty with units adjusted for difficulty level.

Best wishes to you all.

Time for me to go to bed so Santa will visit. Hope I've been good enough... :xmascheers:

Best wishes to you all.

Time for me to go to bed so Santa will visit. Hope I've been good enough... :xmascheers:

I promise to put in a good word for you! ;) Thanks again Leif! (Hope it helps. I'm not sure with all those poor AI sims I nuked in GOTM 49.) :(

Top Bottom