I heard about this on the radio while I was half-asleep this morning. I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing. This quasar is 500 trillion times brighter than the Sun. It's so bright, it's 12 billion light-years away and for decades astronomers just thought it was a regular star (an observatory in Europe spotted the thing in 1980, but they only recently figured out what it is). The black hole powering the quasar is 17 billion times the size of our Sun. I mean, wtaf. Sometimes the scale of the universe just stuns my brain into a stupor.

Sometimes the scale of the universe just stuns my brain into a stupor.
Just remember that you're standing
On a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second
So it's reckoned
The sun that is the source of all our power
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at four hundred thousand miles an hour
In the galaxy we call the Milky Way
Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side
It bulges in the middle, six thousand light years thick
But out by us, it's just a thousand light years wide
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point
We go 'round every two hundred million years
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe
The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, of the speed of light, you know
Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure
How amazingly unlikely is your birth
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space
'Cause it's bugger all down here on Earth

Also, TIL: Black holes can be bright (not really a black hole, a quasar with a black hole at its center)

Edit: Here's the NYT treatment of how it is that black holes emit light:

Quasars are distant objects that look like stars in the sky. In the 1960s, they were discovered to be emitting improbable torrents of energy, outshining all the stars in the galaxy in which they were embedded.

Astronomers have since concluded that all this energy is produced by matter falling into giant black holes. Just as a bathtub can't drain in an instant, matter can only disappear down the cosmic drain at a rate, called the Eddington limit, depending on the black hole's size. The rest is trapped in a sort of turnstile of doom, a swirling, sparking disc radiating energy. Which makes black holes, despite their name, the brightest objects in the universe.

"Turnstile of Doom" would make for a good metal band name.

Last edited:
They figured out why we do not have tails. TL/DR it is a genetic variant of the gene TBXT that causes a post translational modification and a shortened form of the protein. They replicated it in mice.

Spoiler Article :
“Where’s my tail?”

Geneticist Bo Xia asked that question as a child and it was on his mind again a few years ago, while he was recovering from a tailbone injury during his PhD at New York University (NYU) in New York City.

Xia and his colleagues now have an answer. The researchers identified a genetic change shared by humans and other apes that might have contributed to their ancestors’ tail loss, some 25 million years ago.

Mice carrying similar alterations to their genomes had short or absent tails, the researchers found — but that insight was hard won. The work was published on 28 February1: nearly 900 days after being submitted to Nature and posted as a preprint, because of extra work needed to develop several strains of gene-edited mice and demonstrate that the genetic changes had the predicted effect.

“Respect to the authors,” says Malte Spielmann, a human geneticist at Kiel University in Germany, who reviewed the paper for Nature. “I’m incredibly excited about the fact that they’ve really pulled it off.”

The mice with no tails

Unlike most monkeys, apes — including humans — and their close extinct relatives don’t have tails. Their coccyx, or tailbone, is a vestige of the vertebrae that constitute a tail in other animals. Finding the genetic basis for this trait wasn’t what Xia, now at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard in Cambridge, Massachusetts, planned to devote his PhD to. But his coccyx injury, sustained during a cab ride, reinvigorated his tail curiosity.

On a hunch, Xia decided to examine a gene famous for its role in tail development. In 1927, Ukrainian scientist Nadine Dobrovolskaya-Zavadskaya described a strain of short-tailed lab mouse that, she proposed, carried a mutation in a gene called T, the human equivalent of which is now known as TBXT. “You’ll find this gene in your first Google search,” says Xia.

A quick search of geneticists’ version of Google — the genome browser maintained by the University of California, Santa Cruz — showed that humans and other apes carry a DNA insertion in TBXT that other primates with tails, such as monkeys, don’t have.

Gene splice

In a preprint2 posted on bioRxiv in September 2021, Xia and his colleagues showed that the ape insertion can lead to a shortened form of the protein that TBXT encodes. They proposed that that the shortening occurs after the gene is transcribed into messenger RNA, and when multiple protein-encoding segments of the gene transcript get spliced together. Gene-edited mice with one clipped copy of the mouse version of TBXT had a range of tail defects. In some, the tail was shortened or missing completely; in others it was kinked or extra-long.

The findings attracted dozens of news stories, but the preprint didn’t show that the ape genetic insertion, when introduced into mouse version of TBXT, could cause tail loss, says Spielmann. “They hadn’t done the main experiment.”

Those experiments were under way when the paper was submitted to Nature, says Itai Yanai, a systems biologist at NYU who co-led the study. They ended up showing that the genetic insertion, when transplanted into the mouse genome, didn’t lead to very high levels of the shortened version of the protein. The resulting mice had normal tails.

The researchers also engineered mice with a different insertion in the mouse version of TBXT. Serendipitously, this caused the gene to be mis-spliced in the same way as it is in humans. Mice carrying this insertion were born with short or entirely missing tails.

Tree swingers

Yanai says the extra experiments added rigour to the study, even if the overall conclusion is largely the same. “Making all those mouse lines is a major undertaking,” says Miriam Konkel, an evolutionary geneticist at Clemson University in South Carolina. “I really felt for those authors when I saw what they did.”

“It turned out to be a much stronger paper,” adds Spielmann. “They clearly show that this change contributes to tail loss. But it’s not the only one.” The researchers analysed 140 genes involved in tail development and identified thousands of genetic changes unique to apes that might also have played a part in tail loss.

“I’m really excited to see work being done on the genetic mechanisms underpinning tail loss and length reduction,” says Gabrielle Russo, a biological anthropologist at Stonybrook University in New York. Xia’s team says that tail loss might have contributed to apes’ ability to walk upright and to them spending less time in trees, but Russo isn’t so sure. Fossils suggest that early apes moved on four legs like tree-dwelling monkeys, and that bipedality evolved millions of years later.

Apes aren’t the only primates without tails: mandrills, some macaques and the big-eyed nocturnal creatures called lorises all lack tails, suggesting that the trait evolved multiple times.

“Probably, there are multiple ways of losing a tail during development. Our ancestors chose this way,” Xia says.

Breakthrough at Sandia may take 3D printing tech to next level
BY JOHN LEACOCK
JOURNAL STAFF REPORTER

What’s a SWOMP? It’s not something that needs to be drained in Washington. Rather, it’s an acronym describing an advance in an already advanced technology. That innovation at Albuquerque’s Sandia National Laboratories is set to bring changes in how models are created in 3D printing, improvements in the durability of material used to create them and faster 3D printing, according to lab officials who worked on the project.

3D printing is a process that uses machines to deposit layers of plastic, metal, concrete and other materials atop one another, eventually producing three-dimensional objects from the bottom up. The technology has been used to create a wide-range of products, from car parts to prosthetic limbs. There are also applications for aerospace, medical, automative, manufacturing and other industries. One aspect of 3D printing that has needed improvement is the actual strength of the objects made by 3D
printing. The Sandia team is working to change that. The new process includes using stronger nonmetallic materials.

The speed of 3D printing also needed a boost, and Sandia’s new process works five times faster than current 3D printing, according to the lab. “It opens up a whole new world of what you can build and what 3D materials can be used for,” said Samuel Leguizamon, materials scientist at Sandia. Leguizamon led the team that developed SWOMP, which stands for Selective Dual-Wavelength Olefin Metathesis 3D -Printing. Within that acronym lies the description of the new, revolutionary process developed at Sandia.

Like baking cookies
Simply put, it’s like baking cookies. 3D printing works by creating an object using a liquid resin. In the process, known as vat polymerization, an ulraviolet light cures and hardens resin, after which it’s lifted out in layers. However, polymer material can stick in the wrong places, ruining the object, or even stick to the vat. It’s akin to a cookie-baking problem. “After you bake the cookies, you have to let them cool,” said Leah Appelhans, a researcher working on the Sandia project. “If you were to try to peel the warm cookie off the cookie sheet, it’s squishy and it breaks apart. The same thing would happen with a 3D printer if you tried to quickly print each layer. Your work would get deformed.” The challenge became how to cool those “cookies” quicker.

The key was to combine ultraviolet and blue lights — and SWOMP was born out of that dual-wavelength use. “You are still printing layer by layer, but you are using a second wavelength of light to prevent polymerization at the bottom of the vat,” Leguizamon said. That means the product won’t get stuck to the bottom of the vat. “You can lift the cured polymer part more quickly.” The effect is to speed up the printing process significantly, Leguizamon said. Besides the cleaner cookie lift, the new process is also making 3D -printed materials stronger and more versatile. After all, acrylic-based objects, which were made in their previous 3D printing approach, aren’t the strongest materials, the lab says. “It’s really hard to use these materials in things like aircraft and space and aerospace and automotive; they are very harsh environments,” Sandia licensing executive Bob Sleeper said. That’s where better, stronger materials come in.

Learning how to 3D print
Brad Rashap teaches 3D design and printing in CNM Ingenuity’s Internet of Things Bootcamp. He sees positives in the new tech. Rashap, whose course is called the Internet of Things and Rapid Prototyping, calls 3D printing “a phenomenal prototyping tool” and points out the technology has become even more ubiquitous than many people realize. For example, it’s most likely used in your dental office, mainly to produce temporary crowns and other dental products that fit into patients’ mouths. That kind of technology can be improved by what Sandia is doing, Rashap surmises, so that dentists can go beyond just making temporary crowns and actually complete the entire product using advanced materials. “As the technology is continuing to mature, it will move more and more into mainstream manufacturing,” he said. The hope is that eventually it would be possible to 3D print almost anything. Rashap said there are a couple different approaches to 3D printing, as illustrated by the range of pricing for the technology. “There are several different forms of 3D printing — different methodologies. You can buy a 3D printer for a few hundred dollars now. It will come with a spool of plastic that gets melted and extruded,” he said. “The Sandia technology is slightly different in that … it uses a combination of laser light and some blue light to essentially solidify polymers, and the third methodology is similar to that but instead of using a liquid, you use kind of a powder, so in the liquid space, peeling away the layers is definitely the slow part of that process.”

The Sandia project, he said, “should make the 3D printing process faster for that liquid resin technology ... and there’s only a certain set of materials that can be used right now, and I believe the Sandia technology will expand the available materials for printing in the future.”

SA MUEL LE GUI ZAMON

SWOMP, or Selective Dual-Wavelength Olefin Metathesis 3D-Printing, uses two wavelengths of light simultaneously to change the way certain materials are 3D printed. COURTESY

Rashap encourages everyone whose interested in learning about this field to get involved. He emphasized that the CNM bootcamp has “students as young as 18 and as old as 81” and has been able to open doors to those who come from nontechnical backgrounds.
“The Internet of Things and Rapid Prototyping bootcamp … is a short 10-week program from start to finish, doesn’t have any prerequisites, you don’t need to know math or science and we’ve been very successful in taking individuals, ages 18 to 81, and helping them three months later be able to get into entry-level technician jobs at usually twice the salary they had before they came to the bootcamp.”

As far as the cost of the bootcamp, Rashap said students most likely would be covered by financial aid.

Marketing 3D printing innovation

To get the technology out into the marketplace, Sandia officials said they will consider licensing at least two issued patents and other patent applications for commercialization and research and development. Sandia is looking for partners in two areas: 1. commercial partners to license the technology for scaling it to the production floor, and 2. R& D partners to refine 3D printer capabilities and monumers (molecules that bond) for use in the fast 3D printing press.

“The new ability to 3D print this high value plastic on demand and outside the injection molding process opens new opportunities to replace inferior 3D printed plastic and some metal machined parts, depending on the application,” said Sandia licensing expert Bob Sleeper. “This material can also now be quickly 3D printed for use in new complex and harsh environments such as automotive, rockets, engines batteries, and possibly even in fusion applications.”

BY CRAI G FRIT Z / SANDIA NATIONAL LA BORATORIES

PRINTING from page Z8 to Z9

Samuel Leguizamon watches as Alex Commisso stretches 3D material that they printed at Sandia National Laboratories using Selective Dual-Wavelength Olefin Metathesis 3D-Printing, or SWOMP. PHOTO

Successful transplant from GM-pig to human:

This is something that's been building for a while -- I started watching it back in 2017 when my doctors realized my kidneys were failing inexplicably. Wound up on dialysis and was fortunate to receive a transplant in 2022. Great news for those on dialysis. It's manageable when you're young and in good general health like myself, but rough on those who are older. (The kidney transplant people at UAB currently believe my kidneys fell prey to an auto-immune disorder, so they monitor my blood closely.)

Surgeons in Boston have transplanted a kidney from a genetically engineered pig into an ailing 62-year-old man, the first procedure of its kind. If successful, the breakthrough offers hope to hundreds of thousands of Americans whose kidneys have failed.
If kidneys from genetically modified animals can be transplanted on a large scale, dialysis “will become obsolete,” said Dr. Leonardo V. Riella, medical director for kidney transplantation at Mass General.

Nice. Hopefully someday can grow organs in vats, no piggie even
Well, Narz, is this something like what you were thinking of? :)
First patient receives cell therapy that turns lymph node into tiny liver
A Pittsburgh-based biotech company has started a one-of-a-kind trial in a patient with a failing liver. Their goal is to grow a functional second liver within the patient’s body–something never achieved before.

If effective, it might be a life-saving therapy for those who require liver transplants but have to wait months for a compatible donor organ.

LyGenesis is currently carrying out a trial in only one patient with end-stage liver disease (ESLD) to test the efficacy of their allogenic regenerative cell therapy.

Cool, hopefully they can grow me a new gallbladder someday
Good luck! The tech seems to be moving very quickly.
My wife had her gall bladder out about 45 years ago. The consequences for her were that she could only eat small portions at any sitting. (She just mentioned to me that it is the only consequence.) Hope you are coping with your situation as well as can be expected.

I know that you have an interest in trans-humanism, which is why I posted the article as soon as I saw it.
I'm more interested in how the tech might one day allow for "organs" that are combos of what humans have now, or completely different types.
For example, the stomach and its associated nervous system are sometimes likened to a "2nd brain". I can imagine tech allowing organs that are intermediate between that "2nd brain" idea and our "1st brain". Or that it could be an organ that produces hitherto unknown hormones, enzymes and other enhancing biochemicals.

Good luck! The tech seems to be moving very quickly.
My wife had her gall bladder out about 45 years ago. The consequences for her were that she could only eat small portions at any sitting. (She just mentioned to me that it is the only consequence.) Hope you are coping with your situation as well as can be expected.

I know that you have an interest in trans-humanism, which is why I posted the article as soon as I saw it.
I'm more interested in how the tech might one day allow for "organs" that are combos of what humans have now, or completely different types.
For example, the stomach and its associated nervous system are sometimes likened to a "2nd brain". I can imagine tech allowing organs that are intermediate between that "2nd brain" idea and our "1st brain". Or that it could be an organ that produces hitherto unknown hormones, enzymes and other enhancing biochemicals.
So cool to think of the possibilities altho it's kind of torture to have the brain capacity to imagine so many improvements while still currently being mostly stuck w our stone age hardware

I had my gall bladder out 20+ years ago and have never missed it. I didn't have to make any changes in what I ate or how much. :dunno:

I had my gall bladder out 20+ years ago and have never missed it. I didn't have to make any changes in what I ate or how much. :dunno:
I based my decision on cases like yours, it seemed about 80 or 90% of people showed improvement and minimal downsides. Unfortunately I was not in the majority.

I based my decision on cases like yours, it seemed about 80 or 90% of people showed improvement and minimal downsides. Unfortunately I was not in the majority.
I would have done almost anything to not have gall stones anymore. Such terrible pain.

I would have done almost anything to not have gall stones anymore. Such terrible pain.
My wife said the same. She was in the middle of Trafalgar Square on her first trip overseas alone when her pain started.

Kidney stones can be as bad too.
The prof I worked with was admitted to hospital screaming in agony. He said he would have gladly dashed his own brains out against a wall to stop the pain. Half an hour after he was admitted he passed the stone and then felt guilty for occupying a bed in the same ward as people with horrific car accident injuries.
I was amazingly lucky. I went to my GP complaining that I had a strange back ache. I told him that I couldn't sit for long and that all I wanted to do was to stand up straight against a door frame, or a wall.
He took my pulse and blood pressure, laughed, and told me I had the classic symptoms of a kidney stone. He gave me a shot of morphine and sent me home where I played Civ for a while, happy as Larry. An hour later I went to the toilet, heard a kind of small "ping" as something hit the side of the bowl, and I saw a small grey lump, like a largish grain of sand. As I said, really lucky. :)

The pain is awful but I believe I would've been able to avoid future gallbladder attacks as they were precipitated by really bad food choices and stress.

I had the surgery hoping it would help the chronic abdominal pain and it didn't.

Acute pain is the worst but chronic pain wears down your spirit.

So cool to think of the possibilities altho it's kind of torture to have the brain capacity to imagine so many improvements while still currently being mostly stuck w our stone age hardware
Progress seems miserably slow when you want a particular tech advance. It's not our stone age brains that are the main problem atm.

Most people don't understand what it takes to initiate, fund and then find the tens of thousands scientists and associated staff required for something like The Human Genome Project (THGP). That remarkable project did answer many questions and led to many new forms of treatment.

To get to the stage where human organs can be routinely grown inside a body requires building an entire scientific edifice, not just a few brick'n'mortar buildings and then finding a supplier of white lab coats. You need enormous international cooperation, which includes educating tens of thousands of students, and then finding very experienced scientific leaders in the fields to wrangle the best of them.

What is also difficult to appreciate is that THGP posed far, far more questions than it answered.

Another reason it seems that science crawls through molasses in some research areas is that there simply aren't enough people in the world. Not just because of the reasons I gave above, but because there are just so many more interesting fields of interest that attract university students.

And the time it takes to learn enough about something like genetics is also growing exponentially. When my wife did a year of genetics in 1975, it was like playing Wordle with the letters A,G,T and C. Ten years ago, when she took a unit in an open course at MIT (given by Eric Lander, the leader of THGP) it was like studying in a different universe.

So, yes, it can be miserable, but for me that's the great joy of science. The more you study, the easier it is to appreciate how little you know. There are some mystics who seek a kind of crystalline wisdom through meditation, or "clearing their minds", or some other tosh. I'm the opposite. For me the road to personal Nirvana is pumping in as much as I can while taking delight in the fact that every day I get increasingly and hopelessly more ignorant of more every day.

Paul Erdős suggested a lovely epitaph he would like: "Finally I am becoming stupider no more".

You posted something earlier that you read about sugar in some foods. They are interesting factoids you can entertain dinner guests with. I turned it on its head, as it were, and thought, "Wow, I know bugger all about how food influences internal biochemical processes, about the very enzymes and hormones that are part of what we are, and how ignorant I am about so much more". I neglected to thank you for that. It made me smile. :)

Top Bottom