• None of the Above

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Falcon02

General
Time to answer the Tech Question again, what's next?

Fishing - 6
Pottery - 10
Animal Husbandry - 11
Archery - 8
Mysticism - 8
Masonry - 10
Iron Working - 24

Discussion thread

Animal Husbandry, it leads to writing, a tech vital in any path, and could give us horses for defence and Keshiks.

Animal Husbandry, it leads to writing, a tech vital in any path, and could give us horses for defence and Keshiks.
Therefor I voted for Mysticism, I want The Oracle.

I'd have to do the calculations, but how much longer will it take to research to writing and trade for mysticism, meditation/polytheism and priesthood insted of researching those techs?

I shall vote archery, so that settler done, begin archer.

After archery, animal husbandry; if not archery, animal husbandry.

Best regards,

I'd have to do the calculations, but how much longer will it take to research to writing and trade for mysticism, meditation/polytheism and priesthood insted of researching those techs?
I'll let you do the calculation but my concern is not that we will get our hands on Mysticism. My concern is that those civilizations who already discovered it will be too far ahead in constructing The Oracle once we "acquire" mysticism.

I fear that other civs fill be enough ahead of us in the Oracle race that we won't be able to use it for anything seriously usefull anyway. If we go flat out for priesthood then we might make it in time, but it has severe risks while the Alphabet path will give us a decent chance for Oracle, without having that many risks. If we research priesthood, and miss the Oracle then we'll be in serious trouble, while if we research Alphabet and AH, we'll probably be safe.

Here's the problem we have. Currently we are not on any specific path. We seem to just bounce around tech wise to whatever we feel is good at the time. This IME is a game ender. Our best bet is to step back and look at our civ, traits, techs, opponents, and what we've done so far. And so far, we've done nothing, but bounce around.

In order to play a successful game we need to decide on specific goals. If we want a religion, the Oracle, army, whatever, we needed to decide on that and focus our attention in that direction. Deciding part way in to switch so we can get this or that will only lessen our chances of success on this game.

IMO Iron Working isn't worth it. The only reason we'd go for it is for iron and if we don't have it we've just wasted our time. IMO our best bet is AH with a straight shot to Alphabet (possible small stray for Pottery) and than trade for all other techs, including the Oracle techs. If we get to Alpha quick enough we can trade for the Oracle techs and complete it.

If we wanted an early religion we should have aimed for it at the beginning of the game.

If we want the Oracle ASAP we end up shooting ourselves in the foot due to a lack of advanced troops to protect us if we research towards it.

man this sucks as a poll in my opinion....we should poll tech directions or goals not each individual techs. After you get a direction you can then poll a tech( along with none of the above)

6 people may want religion whereas 15 people want military and split their votes archery, IW and AH. So then the minority gets to control this tech direction.

For example: I am against mysticism at this time and want military..I want to vote archery for the "sure thing" BUT I see if i vote that way mysticism could get the most votes. Since military is more important to me than the actual tech..I am forced to wait and see if MY vote can give one of the military techs an advantage.

I mentioned this before last tech I think and it was largely ignored....I hope its not ignored this time.

What kinda fun is it going to be if we plan everything out step by step? Don't you citizens want some chaos and liberal planning instead of a "general strategy"? I know I do. I think it will kill the fun of the game if we lay down a concrete tech path scenario. I like the way these polls are set up as well. It helps in achieving random gameplay. Why does attaching a rigid structure to the gameplay seem so important to so many citizens? I can understand having a goal, I'm wishing for a religion, but only presenting polls with tech paths instead of tech choices severly limits flexibility and makes the game seem singleminded.

I agree we need to plan out beyond just the next tech, and try to get down a strategy.

However the citizens need the ability to customize this path tech by tech.

Also just cause we may agree on a military tech now, does not mean that people may not want to make a short deviation to research a non-military tech before moving back to military techs.

Do we need to discuss and agree upon our path? Yes, and discussion is actually ongoing on that. However, Techs is one of those things which I feel the citizens should have a say on every step, and even decide to deviate slightly from that path if it's necessary.

Does this have a potential to split Categorical votes between several techs on the same theme? Yes, but I don't see any better way without severely limiting the people's options.

man this sucks as a poll in my opinion....we should poll tech directions or goals not each individual techs. After you get a direction you can then poll a tech( along with none of the above)

6 people may want religion whereas 15 people want military and split their votes archery, IW and AH. So then the minority gets to control this tech direction.

Maybe we should require a real majority before we make a poll result binding.

Any individual poll can be set up that way. :) If we started polling early enough, there would be enough time to have the multiple runoffs which would probably be required.

Any individual poll can be set up that way. :) If we started polling early enough, there would be enough time to have the multiple runoffs which would probably be required.

Well, looking at my work schedule the session after CT's will be Friday, March 23, so we've got about 6 days do that next time round.

I definitely don't have a problem trying to get a Majority opinion on techs, but we need to be prepared for run-off polls, so we need to start discussion and polling early.

I also don't want to see the next tech be non-binding and be purely up to the will of the DP. It's important enough that the citizens should make the decision.

I also don't want to see the next tech be non-binding and be purely up to the will of the DP. It's important enough that the citizens should make the decision.

Would it be up to the DP or one of our elected officials? Either way there is no rule saying whomever the choice fell to couldn't pick the option with the most votes.

Would it be up to the DP or one of our elected officials? Either way there is no rule saying whomever the choice fell to couldn't pick the option with the most votes.

Very true, however, there's no rule saying whomever the choice fell to couldn't pick the option with the least votes either.

Take this poll for example

AH - 10
Archery -2
Mysticism - 9 (actually 7)

I gave Mysticism 2 more votes so AH would not actually have a majority.
Now lets say this was non-binding, an official could could have their choice of any three of these.

AH because, most votes.
Archery because, several posters stated that they posted AH over Archery simply because AH already had a few votes, thus it could potentially be the more popular Military tech. People just voted AH so their military vote would not get split.
Mysticism because it's got the second most votes and the Official/DP personally feels that's the best option.

Now Archery and Mysticism would somewhat shaky ground for the DP or Official, but there is no real legal fault with them if the poll is non-binding. And really same is true for any of the options with 0 votes, though pretty much a political suicide there would be no legal violation of the Official/DP.

I voted AH...hopefully that gives it enough to win and end this religion without defense ideas.

Top Bottom