[NFP] No civs in the Americas

Also, as I was thinking about it... this is more complicated than it first appears! My assumption is that the leaders each have equal probability of appearing (mostly), so 54 should be in the denominator. The inclusion of multiple leaders for a single civ or multiple civs for a leaders definitely complicates it though.

My simplistic assumption is that the leaders are picked first, but in any invalid combos, one is thrown out, then rolled again (ie, Gorgo and Pericles). Then, for any leaders who could represent multiple civs, or who have multiple personae, a coin flip happens to decide.
To have an accurate probability, you'd have to know the decision process. For example, it could be that it rolls for the all leader-civ combos, which would've you 10 out of 58, or it could roll the civ first, then roll again if there are multiple leaders (which I assumed for simplicity) which would be 9 out of 50). Or it could roll your leader then, if necessary, roll the civ, which would give similar results. Worse, there could be biases involved (if there is already a civ on the continent, then civs based on that continent might be less likely, etc).

As a rough and ready guide, I think previous calculations suffice. You could try to get more precise calculations, but then due to unknowns, I think we'd be fussing about inches while having error bars of feet.

The TSL maps are enraging. The Med map somehow forgot that the Elbe, Oder, and Vistula rivers exist

The TSL maps are enraging. The Med map somehow forgot that the Elbe, Oder, and Vistula rivers exist

Given the size of Europe, I think they put in all the rivers they had space for. If they put in everything you’d have to cross a river every tile!

Reactions: PiR
Given the size of Europe, I think they put in all the rivers they had space for. If they put in everything you’d have to cross a river every tile!

There are literally no rivers east of the Rhine. It’s ridiculous. Putting the Elbe, Oder and Vistula in would NOT be “a river every tile”, it would be one every 4 or more.

Oh the Weser is missing too

This is like making a TSL America map and omitting the Appalachian mountains and the Mississipii

There are literally no rivers east of the Rhine. It’s ridiculous. Putting the Elbe, Oder and Vistula in would NOT be “a river every tile”, it would be one every 4 or more.

Oh the Weser is missing too

This is like making a TSL America map and omitting the Appalachian mountains and the Mississipii
You may have noticed that the Baltic and North Seas are practically absent, so there wouldn’t even be anywhere for those rivers to drain.

Given the map focuses on the Mediterranean I am confused there is so much of Europe when they could’ve just made the core map area larger.

Given the map focuses on the Mediterranean I am confused there is so much of Europe when they could’ve just made the core map area larger.
I agree. I wouldn't of had that much Europe and would have rather them focusing on going a little bit more south where Mali could have spawned. Then again maybe they added in England and Germany in order to sort of re-create the lands of the Roman Empire.

I agree. I wouldn't of had that much Europe and would have rather them focusing on going a little bit more south where Mali could have spawned. Then again maybe they added in England and Germany in order to sort of re-create the lands of the Roman Empire.

I think that’s exactly what they were thinking, but there’s only a very tiny sliver of Britain — it doesn’t get anywhere near Hadrian’s wall.

Meanwhile most of Africa is useless desert (and there’s no Mali or Nubia to take advantage of it!)

Last edited:
I think that’s exactly what they were thinking, but there’s only a very tiny sliver of Britain — it doesn’t get anywhere near Hadrian’s wall.

Meanwhile most of Africa is useless desert (and there’s no Mail or Nubia to take advantage of it!)

I haven't played the map yet so I wasn't sure. I'm surprised about Nubia. I thought it was playable?

I had meant to link the picture from Reddit in the post above, here you go:

Spoiler TSL med with start locations :
5FE0F9F7-021E-44D4-815A-FCEB66648C73.jpeg

In fact having looked again at the above map I now agree with @aieeegrunt. Without the Elbe, the Oder and the Vistula, a huge swathe of the North of the map is completely without fresh water, making some of the most fertile land in Europe difficult to settle. I don’t know how far down they’d stretch, but any amount of fresh water up there would be an improvement.

I wonder if there’s something preventing rivers from being placed without a connection to a sea?

In fact having looked again at the above map I now agree with @aieeegrunt. Without the Elbe, the Oder and the Vistula, a huge swathe of the North of the map is completely without fresh water, making some of the most fertile land in Europe difficult to settle. I don’t know how far down they’d stretch, but any amount of fresh water up there would be an improvement.

I wonder if there’s something preventing rivers from being placed without a connection to a sea?

No idea, but it makes Germany and Poland useless on this map

Also check out England.

England basically cuts off at the Thames. Why even put this civ in the game?

I had meant to link the picture from Reddit in the post above, here you go:

Spoiler TSL med with start locations :

No idea, but it makes Germany and Poland useless on this map

Also check out England.

England basically cuts off at the Thames. Why even put this civ in the game?
Looking at the map I would have cut out England, Germany and Poland. Instead of keeping most of Northern Europe I would rather make Northern Africa bigger to make room for Nubia and Mali. Move Gaul's starting location down a little and start Scythia north of Georgia.

Meanwhile, I'd like to know who decided to put a big patch of open plains between the Saint Lawrence-Grear Lakes and Hudson Bay in North America.

That's...the Canadian Shield/Laurentian Plateau. It's known for vast expanses of forested uplands and hills (and being on the cold and wet side of climate). It's definitely not known for open flat dry grasslands (as opposed to the great plains).

And gameplay wise it means Canada starts in a location with barely any tundra accessible from their capital (one in the second ring and two in the third ring), which on top of limited resources makes for a rough game start.

(And don't get me started on the luxuries.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom