No More Distinct Modern Cities...

Yes, but not all modern cities have a "modern" architecture. London has no skyscrapers. What about African modern cities? What about cities within a particular country? Each city looks different. While Warsaw has some glass and concrete, other Polish cities look more historical in the modern era. I think it would be stupid to make all cities look the same in the modern era.

If they differ in previous eras, they should also differ in the modern era. Not only because it is more realistic, but also because it is more interesting. It gives more variety in the graphics, which is always nice.

True, but the differences are less pronounced than in previous eras. I wouldn't expect modern cities from different cultures to be as unique as they would have been 2000 years ago. Two cities in the year 2000 that are 6 hexes apart, are from civs that have had friendly relations and traded with each other for 1000 years and which share a religion would not have completely different architectural styles.

Of course in reality every city, culture, civ and relationship is different so they're never going to realistically represent that in-game, but I think some kind of nod towards globalised formulaic city structure as a graphical representation of a city rather than unrealistic uniqueness is a more mature way to recognise the changing effects of civ development.

Of course in reality every city, culture, civ and relationship is different so they're never going to realistically represent that in-game, but I think some kind of nod towards globalised formulaic city structure as a graphical representation of a city rather than unrealistic uniqueness is a more mature way to recognise the changing effects of civ development.

I think it is not "unrealistic uniqueness" but a way to keep a civ flavour/culture, a way to represent it in the modern era.

If global representation is not realistic, then I prefer the art from the previous era to keep that cultural flavour of a civ.

Top Bottom