No PC Version of Civilization Revolution

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
MTV Multiplayer's Patrick Klepek has written a hands-on preview of Civilization Revolution from the perspective of someone who's totally new to the Civilization series.

In addition to the preview, he also posted another article titled "Take-Two: New 'Civilization' Will 'Never' Come To PC" in which 2K Games producer Jason Bergman completely ruled out the possibility of a PC version of Civilization Revolution:

This is not a PC game. It’s been designed as a console game. It’s very, very different from Civ4 and we don’t want it to be looked at as Civ5. We don’t want people to think that this is meant to replace the existing Civ games. This is a totally different game, created exclusively for consoles. It is never coming to PC... There was never a mouse interface; it was always designed around a controller

i never expected it to come out as a PC version. i am more than happy to keep playing civ4 until 5 with 'full civ features' comes out.
overall, a good news imho :cool:

anywords on the status of civ5?

Inevitable. ;)

(especially since in every other article Firaxis emphasizes CivRev isn't civ 5, so obviously whether it's actually in development yet or not, they expect to do one as much as we expect to get one)

Inevitable. ;)

(especially since in every other article Firaxis emphasizes CivRev isn't civ 5, so obviously whether it's actually in development yet or not, they expect to do one as much as we expect to get one)
Civilization (1991)
Civilization II (1996)
Civilization II: Conflicts in Civilization (1996)
Civilization II: Fantastic Worlds (1997)
Civilization II: Test of Time (1999)
Civilization III (2001)
Civilization III: Play the World (2002)
Civilization III: Conquests (2003)
Civilization IV (2005)
Civilization IV: Warlords (2006)
Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword (2007)
Civilization Revolution (forthcoming, 2008)

Civ4 BTS Patch late second quarter 2008

Civ5.....2011 second quarter

Civ 12 .....third quarter 2051...after world war 3

Civ 15....1st quarter 2064?? after first contact

How did you get 2011? That sounds like an awfully long wait.

It may not officially be released on PC but its only a matter of time before PC hardware is powerful enough to emulate the consoles. Sad that Bergman is too ignorant to realize that by offering it on the PC you may entice gamers to turn around and buy CIV Platinum.

If you look at the date of each last expansion and the next game, it's a 2 year gap so each game took roughly two years to complete. 2010 or 11 sounds right.

I would think they would make a big old supprise in the year 2012 with the next version of Civ.

Or it would just be vaporware.

It may not officially be released on PC but its only a matter of time before PC hardware is powerful enough to emulate the consoles. Sad that Bergman is too ignorant to realize that by offering it on the PC you may entice gamers to turn around and buy CIV Platinum.

Current CPU are already faster, with 4 cores, going to 8 cores
All the new Civ needs to do is to utilize multi cores.

But gameplay dynamics between console and PC is totally different, and I am glad we won't be getting this console version. multi platform games don't usually do well on slower PC, as compared to a PC exclusive one.

PC's civ deserve a proper sequal, proper Civ 5.

If you really want the game on the PC, you could probably just mod Civ4 to emulate the game play... if anyone is ambitious enough to to do.

unless you have absolutely NO life, I don't think anyone can do it........

Nobody expected it to come to PC. It's just a dumbed-down Civ4. I have a 360, but I can't imagine buying Revolution when I have Civ4 on the PC.

Well, I might buy the DS version, if it turns out good. Having Civ on the road would be pretty awesome.

As was already pointed out, PC hardware is already powerful enough to run CivRev.

But the whole point behind CivRev is that it's not a port, it's an entirely new game designed exclusively for console systems. As I said in that interview, there never *was* a mouse and keyboard interface for CivRev...it was always designed with gamepads in mind.

This will make sense once you actually play the game. It's fundamentally different from Civ IV in many ways.

you seriously dont mean that do you...... computers are lightyears ahead of consoles..... my computer could stomp any console on the marked right now... i mean absolutly destroy it... my build pricetag was about $3500 Canadian mind you... but thats not my point :)... a top of the line computer will rape the newest game system every time.

EDIT: sorry.. didnt notice we already dug into his ignorance.. i read it and had to comment! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by travathian View Post
you seriously dont mean that do you...... computers are lightyears ahead of consoles..... my computer could stomp any console on the marked right now... i mean absolutly destroy it... my build pricetag was about $3500 Canadian mind you... but thats not my point ... a top of the line computer will rape the newest game system every time.

EDIT: sorry.. didnt notice we already dug into his ignorance.. i read it and had to comment! lol
Last edited by crazycanadian : Mar 17, 2008 at 05:19 PM.

>>>>>>>>
You realize he is talking about emulation, at present ps2 emulation is not perfected, although some pcs are most likely close it can take more then 4x the power of the game system to emulate the game system due to the architecture of the game system can be significantly diffrent then pc. I think that they are screwing themselfs out of a sale, You can easly hook a 360 or ps3 or wii controller up to pc with adapoter and play it like a counsil on the pc. it is more likely that they do not want to undercut any licence contracted they entered into with 360. People will emulate it like any game (sim city 200 for snes) but the publisher will not benifit.

Top Bottom