No Treasure for Pirates -- Bug-Thread

Ok, there are many other land units which have the "Unload" flag activated?! E.g.: Settler, Cavalry, the Officers, Coastal Battery, etc. I'm not an expert modder, but I think this doesn't make sense?! The CivEditor Help file says: "If checked, the selected unit may unload carried land units onto a land tile". So this means it would make sense only for transport ships, right?!

Something else I discovered: the Drydock does not seem buildable?! All the requirements according to the Editor are fullfilled, but still I can't build them?! Any explanation?

Edit: Note that the Civilopedia is incorrect here as it claims that a Port is required for a Drydock. This would probably make more sense anyway, as then the requirement chain would be Wharf -> Port -> Drydock. Can it be that the reason for the Drydock not being buildable is that at the moment both Port and Drydock depend on the Wharf and the game can't handle that?

Don't they replace each other? If one replaces the other and both are requried then the third building is unbuildable.

No, neither Wharf, Port nor Drydock has the "Replaces all buildings with this flag" checked. Complete mystery to me... Can everybody please let me know, whether they experience the same?

I just checked the .biq: All European nations except for Portugal start the game with a Drydock in their capital. So at least upgrading our ships will be possible, though a bit clumsy, if we have to sail them back to Europe... Would be much more convenient if we could just build a Drydock in the colonies. :(

Also that means the the Pirates and Portugal will never be able to upgrade their ships... Before the next game we definitely need to solve this riddle.

?????????

Well, then I'm stumped.

I've founded a city up the Mississippi, on the hill with Iron on the west bank of the river, and I have the Iron resource and also a Moscow resource. ????

Slave Forts are 'unbuildable'. I.e. I can build one in 10 turns at one shield per turn, even if it costs 100 shields. ???

Are you sure you are not confusing two things here? There are two separate buildings, which (in order to maximize confusion...) both point to the same Civilopedia entry:
  • There is the Slave Market, which is a normal building and costs 10 shields. Increases producion by 25%.
  • And there is the Slave Fort, which is a small wonder and costs 100 shields. (But it requires the "Slaves" ressource within city radius, so is not buildable everywhere.) Autoproduces a worker every 12 turns.

(I already fell for the same trap: see post #301 in the PBEM thread... )

However, I just found another bug, which I am very curios to find out he consequences...: the PirateSkirmisher unit (available to Peglegs and Swashbucklers with the Flintlocks tech) has a shield cost of 0. Now what will happen, when we actually start producing them... I can image several scenarios:
  1. Game crashes when we try to build one
  2. They can't be built at all (like "Wealth", which also never finishes)
  3. Every town, no matter how many shields per turn it has, produces one per turn. (That would be very powerful indeed, as the PirateSkirmisher at 12/12/1 is almost as strong as Line Infantry...)

Last edited:
Hmmm, I think nothing happens. After all, 0-shield units can be obtained as upgrades for 0 gold.

This isn't a bug but is certainly nonsensical. I can already build frigates as France. If I develop a couple of new techs then Sloops of war become available. Surely the order is wrong?

Just put it into the category "need to simplify the ship types a bit"...

However, I noticed something strange today: when a Caravel is in a town, and there is a Mortar in the same town, the Mortar cannot be loaded into the Caravel. However, if the Caravel is outside the town, you can simply move the Mortar onto the Caravel!?!?
Problem seems to be: the "Load" flag under special actions is not activated for the Mortar...

We should investigate a bit, why some civs can trade tech with each other and some can't. If we find out, how it works, should we then enable or disable tech trading for all nations? I'm adding this point to the "open for discussion" list.

We… could check. The first thing I can think of is that France and Spain are on the same continent, but their capitals do not have a land road and IIRC London's on the same sea lanes.

Ok, all techs except for one (Naval Tactics) have the flag "Cannot be traded" activated in the .bic file. This looks like a glitch to me. It seems the scenario creator didn't want to have tech trading enabled in this game, but "forgot" to set the flag for Naval Tactics.
So what do we do: keep the original intent and add the missing flag for Naval Tactics, or allow trading for all the other techs as well (so that more cooperation is possible between allies etc.) ?!

Techs should be tradeable, and also to be researched in a logical order.

I start to like the "no tech trade" feature... But it's certainly still up for discussion.

BTW: I read the scenario thread in the Creation & Customization forum and noticed some more bugs that got reported back then (2010) and apparently not yet fixed:

I've been playing this scenario (as swashbucklers) and I've noticed a few problems:
1. pirate skirmisher is only 1 shield - I had to quit the game when I discovered this one because it's obviously game-breaking
2. the adviser pic on the foreign adviser screen for spain shows as Isabella not Don Ricardo (or whoever it was supposed to be)
3. the civilopedia says the pub produces buccaneers but it actually produces pirate conscripts (big disappointment)
4. The city lists haven't been added so whenever a European civ builds a new city it gets called New _____ (some of the Portuguese (or maybe Dutch) were being called 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.)
5. The "tribes" tab of the civilopedia needs updated (the swashbucklers still had the Hittites info)

We also noted #1 already (except that the shield cost is 0, not 1) and I have verified #3 & #4. Not sure about the others yet.

The Merchant Ships have a superfluous Bombard ability.

Also, do we have a specific discussion I've missed regarding the ships' tech tree?

The city of Spexico has some issue with the graphics, the file for the largest size probably has the palette set wrong.

Has anyone mentioned yet that the Portuguese and Dutch appear to have no city lists?

:scan: your answer is amthematically correct. When/if I conquer a city from Portugal or the Dutch (see current war) I'll rename it.

Top Bottom