Non-Aggression Treaty With Mavericks

N-A Treaty?

• Total voters

Bowsling

Deity
Provolution suggested in the embassy thread that we sign a non-aggression treaty with the Mavericks. I am posting this poll to determine public interest in this option, and for how long it would last before being renegotiated.

No matter what overall trading and diplomatic strategy we go with, I think this is valid for now, so I do support such a move. We will certainly not pursue aggression nor probably try to "backstab" or betray the Mavericks - it just isn't worth it.

For other teams, I'm not so sure, because some scenarios could involve us forming an alliance and subsequently making trade embargoes or whatever against another team. But either Mavericks would be a team we do ally with, or if we don't ally with them we won't be hostile yet at this point imo.

I voted 50 turns, but I'd probably say turn 100 is the point I'd propose to the Mavericks. (so that's like really 56 or 57 turns from now)

I still think it is too early to think about a NAP with either team at the moment. We need to see what initial contact brings us.

But I reckon it's not too early to at least plan ahead and choose which teams we might want to ally with/ignore. Didn't we say Merlot was number-crunchy, like CDZ? If so, and Merlot is right next door to CDZ on the other side, then CDZ might turn its sights against us. However, if it is possible, I would like to see us attempt to work with CDZ. We have the economic advantage to counter their military one.

Have they suggested anything to us? If they said 100 and we come back with 50 that wouldn't be a very trust-inspiring moment.

NAPs are pretty standard and an important first step in any alliance. I can't see us wanting to go to war anytime soon so we should try to get 100 turn ones with both of our neighbors. Their replies could help reveal how eager they are to cooperate with us.

100 turns (from now) is way too far though - it'd either be a broken agreement, or any team who honestly commits to that is being rather naive. I mean that's when people could hit gunpowder or bulb astro with some dedication or at the least your maces and medieval warfare tech.

But, considering we don't want hostilities, NAPs are kinda expected, and we don't even appear to have the problem of phony border wars and getting through their territory, certainly proposing a NAP for a little while sounds good. If they come to us really enthusiastic on something else, sure, we could revise, but I still like an initial proposal of 50ish turns from now (actual turn 100). Though this isn't too different than 60 or 70 turns - we could call 110 or something the date if we wanted, or some random point around there like 200 AD that we decide is significant for some reason. Turn 150 again I feel is just too far, we don't want their replies to be simply laughing at us.

Oh - also, no, not any new messages yet, unless Bowsling is getting some PMs from Mavericks. Anyone always feel to check quatronia10 - well eventually we'll have several diplomats anyway, but non-diplomats are fine too, at least by me.

Team by team: CDZ probably waiting on us to take the next move, we're working on a response just so everyone knows again. Mavericks could come out with a huge opening message or not, we just got their email/first contact confirmed is all, so best wait for their first official stuff before we send another thing out.

I voted for 50. I'd love to send some axes or whatever to these guys as soon as it is practical to build them to pillage their improvements or just generally hamper their development. 50 is already on the high side of how long I'd like to hold off on that.

Fair points. I'd like to get on their good side, so a NAP would be a good first step, I agree.

EDIT - Holy cow why do I confuse the Mavericks for CDZ? I want to get on CDZ's good side, not so much the Mavericks'.

Top Bottom