Not sure if anyone else noticed this trick...

6K Man

Bureaucrat
Normally, when one of your units wins a combat that gives it enough experience points to be promoted, the promotion can't happen until the next turn, right? An annoying thing, when said unit is damaged and could use the healing + benefits of promotion during the AI's turn, when it will be facing a counterattack.

Well... I just noticed that if a unit goes into combat with a promotion unused (for example, a Privateer fresh out of the Drydock but at 4/2 XP - meaning it started with 4 XP and you haven't promoted it yet) and then fights, winning enough XP to hit the next level (again using my example, putting the Privateer at 6/2 or 5/2), you can use all promotions immediately, even the one you just earned. No waiting until the next turn.

Bug or feature? :confused: In any event, it has limited applicability, since you'll usually want to go into combat with all promos used.

It's definitely useful, I've noticed it before. It's a calculated risk between having higher odds of winning now and being vulnerable without healing later that turn, and lower odds of winning now and being in the 80hp range later. I wouldn't use it if I'm looking at something like 60% odds, I'd want the promotion now to swing it into winning odds. Something like 80-90% is fine, you have a good chance of winning anyway and can immediately heal if you get redlined.

Yeah, according to one of the articles in the war academy, that's best use of promotions. While I don't agree that it's that useful, it's still useful in certain situations. My favorite is to use it for a defender when you've got simultaneous turns on (the timing can be difficult, but it can be done with even your top defender. It's easier if the enemy is targeting your second best though). You can also use it for catapult wars for your mop-up troops. Pretty much anything that you'd be willing to give drill promos to.

It's really only useful in late game warring where you have higher odds of winning anyways. In the early stages you need the promotions to win battles period.

It's definitely useful, I've noticed it before. It's a calculated risk between having higher odds of winning now and being vulnerable without healing later that turn, and lower odds of winning now and being in the 80hp range later. I wouldn't use it if I'm looking at something like 60% odds, I'd want the promotion now to swing it into winning odds. Something like 80-90% is fine, you have a good chance of winning anyway and can immediately heal if you get redlined.
I would never attack at 80% if I had a promo I could take to improve the odds. Wait for at least 90% before using this trick (and preferably 95%).

Normally, when one of your units wins a combat that gives it enough experience points to be promoted, the promotion can't happen until the next turn, right? An annoying thing, when said unit is damaged and could use the healing + benefits of promotion during the AI's turn, when it will be facing a counterattack.

Well... I just noticed that if a unit goes into combat with a promotion unused (for example, a Privateer fresh out of the Drydock but at 4/2 XP - meaning it started with 4 XP and you haven't promoted it yet) and then fights, winning enough XP to hit the next level (again using my example, putting the Privateer at 6/2 or 5/2), you can use all promotions immediately, even the one you just earned. No waiting until the next turn.

Bug or feature? :confused: In any event, it has limited applicability, since you'll usually want to go into combat with all promos used.

I believe you're the one who wrote the excellent Guide for Privateers. I find this especially useful for Privateers that I promote up the Drill line (very good for Privateers). Since Drill I and II are so weak, I just wait until after a battle. This often means you can send a Privateer a little away from his fellows to kill somebody without him getting caught badly injured. I think it's a feature, not a bug. Similar to not giving promotions until the units get ready to fight so you know what you need.

I'm not sure how useful this is except for Privateers.

Very common when milking siege collateral where your odds are excellent, lets you take things like CG II instantly with just barracks + 1 kill with an archery unit for example. It also tends to be useful while storing promos for healing if you find an emergency and need counter-promo sometimes.

Top Bottom