Noticed Bugs? Balance Issues

We have been adding animals that give Hunting Lodges to other regions and I am not sure there are any left that have no animals.

Subdual is supposed to be rare and fustrating at first. The number of games in which I never get a dog until after Sedentary Lifestyle is not small.
Been thinking on this and I've voiced an opinion but it's just one opinion. I totally see your side of this too so I'll leave it up to you. I can live with any choice you want to make here and you deserve to have that choice to make without me having to have a say in it, as this sector has been your zone and it's one of the reasons our mod is so badass. I agree that there should be a progression here and I think with Great Hunters being able to give access to the lodge, it should be far more tenable than it once was. I'm judging based on old experiences I think. It's not hard to collect lots of small animal kills with chasers now either... and it's not just a slaughter fest against all units that leave your borders now either since the spawns have been balanced to produce more common prey creatures than predatory ones. So I'd be happy to give the mechanism another go since we've been rebalancing a lot that could make it more of a positive challenge rather than a lesson in frustration.

I also found having scouts was actually a good replacement for trackers. They tend to have the same strengths as trackers but they do not attack. And once you get your first great hunter then you can just pop the master hunter lodge wonder with them

I also found having scouts was actually a good replacement for trackers. They tend to have the same strengths as trackers but they do not attack. And once you get your first great hunter then you can just pop the master hunter lodge wonder with them
This kinda imbalances the game option Aggressive Animals though. Scouts rarely come under attack without that option. hmm... maybe that's the solution though, to enforce the lodge prereq on Aggressive Animals only?

This kinda imbalances the game option Aggressive Animals though. Scouts rarely come under attack without that option. hmm... maybe that's the solution though, to enforce the lodge prereq on Aggressive Animals only?
I don't think we can do that. The GameOption in the XML turns the building on/off depending on the status of the option. This is so even with the update transactions, ie if you have it in the update transaction it will turn the building or unit off not the update. We would need to duplicate the hunter line of units one requiring the building and the aggressive on and one not requiring the building and the aggressive off.

It may be possible with a dummy building that requires aggressive on and a update transaction that has an and dependency of that building but then you would have to get out and back in after setting the option for it to have any affect because the XML is loaded before the options can be set.

I don't think we can do that. The GameOption in the XML turns the building on/off depending on the status of the option. This is so even with the update transactions, ie if you have it in the update transaction it will turn the building or unit off not the update. We would need to duplicate the hunter line of units one requiring the building and the aggressive on and one not requiring the building and the aggressive off.

It may be possible with a dummy building that requires aggressive on and a update transaction that has an and dependency of that building but then you would have to get out and back in after setting the option for it to have any affect because the XML is loaded before the options can be set.
Or you just have a replacementID info on the hunters and trackers and any other units that require the lodge that are entirely the same between both options, with the one exception of the prerequisite. It would work without the need to reload to reset. Of course, it would be a little more difficult to maintain so if we did this we'd want to include the replacements immediately after the previous in the core unit file so as to hopefully point out that if you adjust one you need to adjust the other.

Complicating this further, we now also have a few hunter types for neanderthals too.

Top Bottom