Nukes without Manhattan Project

Mize

Prince
I'll make it short. In my last game, the Greeks had a nuke even though nobody had built the MP. They didn't even know rocketry. Not sure about nuclear fission, they might have gotten that somehow. They never used the nuke and I only noticed it in the replay after I won. They had only built one, probably by accident, like they sometimes build carriers, which they aren't really supposed to build. But still, they built it without the MP and without (one of) the required technologies. Has anyone else seen this? If it happens regularly and is not just a bug, it's too much of a cheat, even for the Civ 1 AI.

I never saw this but probably I would not have noticed even if something like this happened. Conditions for "what city can build" list are the same for both player and AI. For nuclear they are: 1. Tech for this unit (Rocketry) 2. MP exists or existed 3. Nuclear Fission (hard-coded for Nuclear), so probably some glitch. If you saw that in replay, then it means their city actually produced this nuke so they selected it somehow as production for this city so this is not another undiscovered AI cheat (for example, first Cavalry or Legion from a hut is not reported as "Produced"). I witnessed Russians selecting non-existent "something" after end of the list of wonders. Greeks on a random map can be very big with many cities and units, somehow they have tendency to glitch more because of that. Same for Russians on Earth map.

I also sometimes get replay lines saying that the AI has built the first " ", however, I've never seen a " " appear on the map, while this was a very real nuke. The funniest part was when I contacted Alexander, first he threatened me with nuclear weapons, then he asked for rocketry.

I also sometimes get replay lines saying that the AI has built the first " ", however, I've never seen a " " appear on the map, while this was a very real nuke. The funniest part was when I contacted Alexander, first he threatened me with nuclear weapons, then he asked for rocketry.
Now when you said that, I also remember "Somebody built the first " message. No wonder that game specifically checks that finished production is some correct unit, city improvement or wonder. Probably this thing happened pretty often during debugging and test plays. But thanks to this rule if production is beyond the boundary then game simply ignores that. Without it there would be some severe glitches. Like trying to create a unit from some abnormal data.

Last edited:
Top Bottom