Oasis need love!!!

infidel88

Prince
So ummm, yeah, at the start of the game oasis are awesome. But with time, already at medieval I think, it becomes less and less appealing. And historically it's far from truth - even now oasis are important places in otherwise dead areas.

How can we improve oasis? My ideas:
- they should funcion as improved tiles for the needs of Spirit of the Desert. Yes, that would create uber-tiles, but its not like there is that many of them;
- +1 food at engineering;
- +1 food at ferilizer;
- +1 tourism and science at biology;
- +1 tourism and science at ecology;
- units at or on tiles adjacent to oasis heal at double rate.

Yeah, I agree about Spirit of the Desert. It's a bad enough pantheon because deserts are considerably more rare than Tundra and it gets worse yields too. Double rate heal makes no sense (why would you heal better at an oasis than on grasslands near a lake?), unless the rest of desert (excl. flood plains) gets it halved and Oasis merely makes it normal, and it's too late for such changes I think..

What about buildings then? Lakes also need some love too.
Lakes become good-ish after Imperialism finisher (and Aqueduct). IIRC it gives them +1 Prod +1 Science, though by this time I usually have a 20-40 city empire and so much yields everywhere I never bother to check if it's just Ocean/Coast or Lakes too. But yeah, if you're not going Imperialism, their usefulness wanes after Classical era because farms or Forests with Herbalist + Lumbermills.
It seems like a workaround if, instead of having Oases become buffed via techs, a building of some sort became buffed to incorporate a bonus to Oases/Lakes. Like, Garden adding +1Gold to Lakes/Oases. Makes perfect sense (water source to water the garden so it's more cool looking, which grants Gold because people pay to see it), Garden is available everywhere and would make it ever so slightly less tall focused.

Features cannot be buffed via techs or, IIRC, policies. Not implementing new code at this time.

I hate civ6
Not because it's good or it's not but simply because its release breaks the development of major mods like VP

Oasis needs love, it needs care, code and new design. Of course

Lakes become good-ish after Imperialism finisher (and Aqueduct). IIRC it gives them +1 Prod +1 Science, though by this time I usually have a 20-40 city empire and so much yields everywhere I never bother to check if it's just Ocean/Coast or Lakes too. But yeah, if you're not going Imperialism, their usefulness wanes after Classical era because farms or Forests with Herbalist + Lumbermills.
It seems like a workaround if, instead of having Oases become buffed via techs, a building of some sort became buffed to incorporate a bonus to Oases/Lakes. Like, Garden adding +1Gold to Lakes/Oases. Makes perfect sense (water source to water the garden so it's more cool looking, which grants Gold because people pay to see it), Garden is available everywhere and would make it ever so slightly less tall focused.

I'm fine with buffing it via a building like the garden. Also going to fix the tooltip for the aqueduct/harappan reservoir (as they actually provide Oases +1 food, but I never added that tooltip!) and buff it to +2 for them.

I hate civ6
Not because it's good or it's not but simply because its release breaks the development of major mods like VP

Oasis needs love, it needs care, code and new design. Of course

That argument don't make no sense, sir.

I'm fine with buffing it via a building like the garden. Also going to fix the tooltip for the aqueduct/harappan reservoir (as they actually provide Oases +1 food, but I never added that tooltip!) and buff it to +2 for them.

By the way, does Imperialism finisher also provide +1Prod +1Science for Oasis? It does for all other watery things so it should do so here as well, but every time I went Imperialism I usually forgot to check due to having 30 cities by the time I finished and because, well, the Oasis are rare so it's not like I'd find it on every city.

By the way, does Imperialism finisher also provide +1Prod +1Science for Oasis? It does for all other watery things so it should do so here as well, but every time I went Imperialism I usually forgot to check due to having 30 cities by the time I finished and because, well, the Oasis are rare so it's not like I'd find it on every city.

Nope, bodies of water only. Besides, as noted above, that's not a policy function.

Some boosts to Lake and Oasis tiles from midgame buildings would definitely be nice.

For Oasis, maybe an additional +2 gold from Caravansaries, and +2 Culture from Customs Houses, given that they usually become trade hubs?

For Lakes, Gardens make sense, maybe additional food upon something like Grocers.

Oasis is kinda strange in that no improvements can be built on them, kinda like a lake (but that's because workers and GPs can't walk on water!).
IIRC, it provides fresh water in surrounding tiles for farms but is itself "unfarmable". Would be nice to at least be able to drop a farm on it or a village, which would make alot of sense in the real world.
I like the garden idea too. Gardens at the moment are very low on my list of buildings as they cost 2g and only boost GP production unless there are chocolates and oranges around.
I don't think it'll unbalance Indonesia too much, since I can't even get the chocolates and oranges consistently, let alone oasis.

Oasis is kinda strange in that no improvements can be built on them, kinda like a lake (but that's because workers and GPs can't walk on water!).
IIRC, it provides fresh water in surrounding tiles for farms but is itself "unfarmable". Would be nice to at least be able to drop a farm on it or a village, which would make alot of sense in the real world.
I like the garden idea too. Gardens at the moment are very low on my list of buildings as they cost 2g and only boost GP production unless there are chocolates and oranges around.
I don't think it'll unbalance Indonesia too much, since I can't even get the chocolates and oranges consistently, let alone oasis.

You can't do that. Also it'd look odd to have oasis overlap with an improvement.

noria guys noria :D its late for adding buildings, pitty. but i still think that building, which require oasis within 2 tilles from city and would add to non-floodplains desert without features/resources +1F would be nice.

VP 11/10 few hours ago, I was wrong. With all due apologies to you, sir

Top Bottom