OCC Attempt - Kongo - Going Well So Far

LoneDragon

Warlord
Here's how I set the game for what I think is my best chance:
King difficulty - Can't let everyone else start with multiple Settlers when I only get one city ever
Small, Fractal, High sea level, Max number of Civs and City States - Give everyone less space to expand
Epic Speed, Hot, Wet, Abundant resources - because I almost always use these settings

I got pretty lucky, Kilimanjaro in range, first CS I met was Kandy(though I only got 2 relics). I also discovered you can meet a CS and get the envoy before they even settle their city. I still have access to one hex next to Alexander's Matterhorn, so all my troops have Alpine Training - speaking of, why does my Slinger with AT have to go back to the Matterhorn and retrain when I upgrade to Archer and again every time I upgrade? Seems like a glitch.

Here I am at the beginning of the Renaissance:

As you can hopefully see, I have (from top) Chichen Itza, 1 Mbanza, Theater Square, Temple of Artemis, Government Plaza, Oracle, Industrial Zone, Commercial Hub, Potala Palace (under construction), Petra, Campus, and The Great Library.
You can see my last access to the Matterhorn at the top left, above the oysters.
I have been in the top 4 score-wise the whole game and am currently in 2nd behind Gilgamesh...only Gilgamesh and Rome have more military strength than me.
Look at those yields! I could yet build Ruhr Valley and Big Ben...are they worth the loss of 2 bananas?
I could also build Kilwa Kisiwani or Taj Mahal on that coast tile...not sure if it's worth losing yet another workable rainforest though.
If I feel the need to build more districts, there's always those 2 desert tiles. I currently plan to leave the rainforests as is.
The only one to attack me so far have been the Khmer. Alexander conquered Scythia and has denounced me several times, but that trader you see just now built that road, so I don't think he plans to attack me soon...his army is weaker than mine anyway. Gilgamesh, on the other hand, may be getting too big for his britches. He's conquered Egypt and Kandy....if he conquers Russia, I might have to go a-liberating.
Rome and Australia have their own continent which I haven't bothered to explore...I think there's about 4 City States I haven't met yet. Scotland is also on the North corner of my continent...he's not doing so well.
Any questions or advice on how to proceed are welcome...and if someone could tell me soon whether I should build a Foreign Ministry or Intelligence Agency, I'd appreciate it. Actually any building advice on my little remaining space would be greatly appreciated.
Wish me luck!

I've also hit every Golden Age. How do you make the era end faster once you have enough points for Golden? Does it matter? Are those points wasted? Is the next era score requirement set at the beginning of the game or as you enter the era?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eras end depending on the world average technology level, so you can probably not meaningfully influence it just by yourself. The era score requirement points are set at the start of the era depending on 1. A base number 2. The amount of cities you own and 3. The amount of Golden and Dark Ages you have earned in the past. That means that any points you earn beyond the Golden Age threshold are effectively wasted, so if you have the freedom to choose whether you get them before or after the start of the new era, try to push them after if you already have enough.

Potala Palace successfully built.
Just posting because I thought it was funny that I have had no boats all game and my surplus Great Engineer just became the first one to circumnavigate the world...now checking out Rome and Australia's continent.

Update 2: My team of Great Writers finished exploring the other continent. Rome has conquered Kabul, Brussels, Mohenjo-Daro, and all but one of Australia's cities, bypassing Armagh. The Khmer have beaten back Alexander so I really only have to worry about Gilgamesh. Rome pulled ahead of me in score with all the cities they took from Australia but it's close to a 3 way tie between the top 3 scores.

I finished Ruhr Valley. Coal was discovered in a mine adj to the IZ. I built and themed a museum, Intelligence Agency, and corpsed up my entire military. I got Michelangelo so - Woohoo, 2 sculptures!

Sent spies to Foment Unrest in Brussels and Kandy.

Attaching the start save for anyone interested

Sooo...advice? Should I build on that coast tile or keep the rainforest?

Edit: Got Leonardo and Donatello too. Suddenly I am hungry for pizza.

Attachments

• A.Civ6Save
    508.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
You're an adult, you should throw it on the ground.
Wow. Signing up to a forum to leave an inside joke that most people aren't going to understand. They came here to read my noobish ramblings! :p

Anyway...I built Big Ben and Donatello convinced me to build Hermitage. I have way too many Great Writers so I sold a lot of Great Works and luxury resources to clean out the world's treasuries the turn before Big Ben finished. Luckily I got Rockefeller so I have a source of oil and there's aluminum under the Oracle.

Rome captured Armagh and finished off Australia. Khmer are about to take out Scotland I think then roll over Macedon. Peter has just declared on Gilgamesh and although Gilgamesh is way ahead of him, he has next to no military. I now control the most powerful military in the world...moreso since the other Civs military scores include navies that can't touch me. I've been training them a few units at a time at a 1 pop free city just do the south that's been flipping for as long as I can remember. I'm also now Suzerain of all remaining City States.

Let's see...I have maxed out Reyna governing my city. And I managed to trade for another relic. I'm running a Democracy. I also got Cosmetics, even though I have way more amenities than I'm ever going to need. I have enough pop to fill all workable tiles.

I don't know if I can take credit for speeding through the trees all game, but I think I managed to drive the whole planet into a Dark Modern Age. Every Civ but the Khmer(Normal Age) are in a dark age! But wow, Elite Forces and Robber Barons for the win!

Looks like I'm going to have to go for the Science Victory.

If I build a mine inside my territory but outside of the workable range of the city, does it count toward Ruhr Valley bonus?

Rome just took Lisbon...now they own every city on the second continent. I may have worry about Rome endgame.
I just got 3 sculptures for my Natural History Museum!
Forgot to list my military earlier(all army formation): 6 Field Cannon, 4 Infantry, 2 Cavalry, 3 Tanks, 2 Artillery with Balloons (Drones in 4 turns), 1 AT Crew, 1 Ranger, 2 Supply Convoys and 2 Generals for Ren and Ind.

Edit: Traded Sistine Chapel ceiling and Cosmetics for 4 more relics, filling all remaining slots.

Last edited:
If anyone is still/was ever interested, I won a Science Victory. I was way ahead on culture but it looked like it would be a while.

I took an emergency vs Gilgamesh as an excuse to do some liberating...big mistake. I gave Cleo back her first city and she promptly kicked my fragile Field Cannons straight into the heart of Sumerian firepower...I lost 4 of them! Then I liberate Kandy only to have my ally Peter conquer it a few turns later. No wonder nobody likes you, Peter!

Anyway, I enjoyed playing the tall game with max Civs and CSs a lot! I probably won't go nuts with OCCs but I just started a "2 city challenge" with Scotland.

Top Bottom