Occ?

So I am back to playing Immortal OCC in BNW.

Is anyone doing this for VC's other than diplo?

I've been playing so far with the Shoshone. His UA make for very good starts with OCC because you do not have to worry as much about the AI forward settling to grab 4ring luxuries. My games end up directionless though.

Looking for any input from people who do this.
What civs and what VC's you look for (other than diplo).

Thanks in advance.

You can go Science (especially now that wide/ICS have been nerfed for science) if you can settle near a mountain.
Culture should be possible if not playing Deity provided you can Wonder Spam by renaissance in your huge capital.
Might be possible to win Domination as you don't have to worry about AIs retaking their capitals when you capture-raze them and you don't have a large empire to protect.
Never considered Shoshones for OCC as it seems counter-intuitive, but being able to grow faster with pop-ruins and larger borders to start with should work for sure. Their fast UU should also be helpful to keep the ennemy far from your city or go on the offense.

I have only done one OCC with BNW and it was a CV attempt. It didn't work as I didn't have enough great work slots to build up enough tourism to overtake the wonder spammer on the map. (I also couldn't mass produce archaeologists.) I ended it with a diplo victory instead. I suspect you'll have that problem on Immortal.

On Immortal- with nice start you can go CV with Brazil.
On deity I guess you can go SV with Korea/Babylon.

So I fired up Brazil on Emperor to get a feel for how to OCC a CV, what a mess lol. I actually got the Lingua Franca achievement for getting and keeping the WC for the whole game, had to beat myself from winning a DP...

Pushed through Freedom as world ideology and watched as England took Order and promptly had York defect to me and leave big hole in the center of her empire...

I let one of the fairs pass through and wasted a ton of turns on it. After that I made sure I proposed and then voted down the fairs every time proposal came around. This seems like a good thing in OCC because you can not afford to waste time on the fair and it will not be good to let the AI get it. By proposing and defeating it, I deny it to the AI and take no diplo hit for it. I doubt this will work on Immortal/Deity with out some luck.

I did not build the musicians guild until late modern era. Is this a common strategy? I used surplus GW's to finish rationalism and oxford to bulb telecommunications and internet, then popped my first GM the turn following entering the info era.

Took full tradition, consulates, freedom>media culture, aesthetics, and full rationalism in whatever order was appropriate. I would think even on Deity this would be reasonable since I was tossing policies into random stuff at the end. I did forget to open exploration for the Louvre though :(

The only themed wonders I got where Uffizi, Sistine, Hermitage, Oxford. Is Uffizi gettable on higher difficulty? I am also wondering if Oxford is better used for plastics or radio for the earlier theming. On the other hand in OCC ~450bpt is about the best you can get, so getting past the internet quickly might be difficult without a lot of GS's that you wont have because Arts Funding should be in effect. I only had 3 saved for bulbing and a 4th popped at the very end.

Which brings up the next question. Where do people stand on early tourism? I basically just got open borders as early as I could afford it, sent in TR's to those I could reach, and diplomats to the culture strong civs and let myself get exotic but did not push for familiar until later. It did take 3 GM's to bomb Kamehameha into influential, not sure it would have been enough for an Immortal culture powerhouse though.

Venice makes OCC meaningless :lol: OCC deity is doable now (at least for me) thanks to Serenissima

On diety and probably immortal, you don't have to worry about the fairs soaking up massive amounts of turns. On emperor and below the AI doesn't seems to contribute at all, so it takes you forever to basically complete the fair by yourself. On diety they all go for it with a full effort, so the fairs only last about 5-6 turns or so.

Venice makes OCC meaningless :lol: OCC deity is doable now (at least for me) thanks to Serenissima

If you're playing OCC Venice, buying a city-state with an MoV just auto-razes it like if you conquered the city. The civ you're looking for is Korea.

Venice is the semi-OCC civ. (Semi because while you don't found any cities, you acquire some puppets) Austria can be played the same way. And I suppose any other civ could start as a OCC but build an army and conquer an empire.

Pure OCC though is probably easyist as Korea or Babylon. Diplomatic victory will be faster than space race. And probably faster than cultural. (But building national wonders with great works slots is still an option in a OCC; especially if you can relocate great works in captured cities before they burn down.)

If you're playing OCC Venice, buying a city-state with an MoV just auto-razes it like if you conquered the city. The civ you're looking for is Korea.

There's no need to buy CS; double sea trade routes with bribes and freedom policy make DV pretty doable. (let the AI tech for you... only half the civs needed to advance to the next age, you yourself need not even get to that era :lol: )

lol, no DV's

A 10 year old could win a DV with Venice on Deity.

I consider a DV a loss, I can't quite bring myself to disable it in advanced settings because avoiding it makes me pay more attention.

I might give it a go with Babylon or Korea, I had some nice OCC with them in G&K

lol, no DV's

A 10 year old could win a DV with Venice on Deity.

I consider a DV a loss, I can't quite bring myself to disable it in advanced settings because avoiding it makes me pay more attention.

I might give it a go with Babylon or Korea, I had some nice OCC with them in G&K

ahhh this changes everything :lol:
(granted so you purposely do not pump money into CS just so you can avoid DV when the time comes? Or do you just not vote for yourself? :p )

Then yes, Venice sucks at SV, CV, and DoV :crazyeye: Only Korea or Babylon possible (but who else thinks Arabia with a godly Petra capitol and desert folklore can pull it off?)

Venice might not be so bad at Domination actually. With all that cash lying around, it should be pretty easy to buy and maintain a large army. You could also ally military city states (or non-military ones that neighbor your target) and even bring in AI allies provided you are careful with choosing your targets to minimize penalties.

Venice might not be so bad at Domination actually. With all that cash lying around, it should be pretty easy to buy and maintain a large army. You could also ally military city states (or non-military ones that neighbor your target) and even bring in AI allies provided you are careful with choosing your targets to minimize penalties.

Venice is NOT OCC...

Venice is bad at DoV because it is subpar at SV :lol: there's no point fighting great war infantry with muskets and you will hardly have time to build Manhattan projects and nukes before DV kicks in first.

Venice is bad at DoV because it is subpar at SV :lol: there's no point fighting great war infantry with muskets and you will hardly have time to build Manhattan projects and nukes before DV kicks in first.

If u save GE for Manhattan and tones money, I guess you can do DomV before DiploV using nukes and XCOM squads.

Top Bottom