Occupation grievances city founder

gremlins0

Chieftain
I am trying to keep a bunch of small cities from flipping to free state and eventually AI. When I am at war with the main civ I get a bonus for garrison, but then when I made peace I lose my loyalty garrison bonus and then gain a negative loyalty: occupation grievances city founder. Which is super high as the main civ has 300 grievances against me. Is there any way to easily fix that other than waiting it out? I would just stay at war but the cities weren't growing, which is the reason I wanted the peace.

occupation grievances city founder.
What is very likely to have happened is a rather old logic problem.
You make peace on the same turn you took the city.
Now in GS when you make peace you either have to give the city back or they cede it to you. If neither happens the city is occupied and this should only happen during war. (as far as I know)
The problem is that on the main screen there is a Keep City? button and if you did not push this first it does not count in the peace deal and then stays occupied forever.... they really need to fix this but have not. You always should keep/raze a city before anything else, especially peace deals

I didn't make peace same turn that I captured the city. I have had them for awhile. During the peace option they ceded the cities all to me (after making me pay gold to them). I have attached a screenshot showing how much the occupied penalty is hurting my loyalty the turn after the peace deal was made. The city was still losing loyalty per turn before the peace deal but they are all so much worse after the peace due to the combination of that occupied penalty and not getting the +5 bonus for having a unit in city during war.

Attachments

• civ2.jpg
    civ2.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 395
I didn't make peace same turn that I captured the city. I have had them for awhile. During the peace option they ceded the cities all to me (after making me pay gold to them). I have attached a screenshot showing how much the occupied penalty is hurting my loyalty the turn after the peace deal was made. The city was still losing loyalty per turn before the peace deal but they are all so much worse after the peace due to the combination of that occupied penalty and not getting the +5 bonus for having a unit in city during war.
Odd, you have an old save from before the occupation as it sounds buggy.

I have a save from before peace as I saved it, but something before I occupied any of the cities would have been awhile ago.. Its ok since its a somewhat new game. I will just stay at war with Dido and attack the other civ influencing my cities. I was likely to do military victory anyway. Also I learned that when a city can't grow while at war if I chop food it can grow that way, so I can likely get one of my cities to grow a bit while at war for awhile.

Actually I think that this is a new feature, not a bug. The city's residents are inherently disloyal because even though you are at peace, you still have grievances with their home nation. That seems to make sense to me.

I assume that this penalty decreases as the grievances decrease over time.

What sounds like a bug, is that the garrison bonus is no longer counteracting this after peace is declared.

I think this is a new feature too. And I heard if you leave the last city and make it revolt to free city you lose the loyalty penalty from grievance. Didn't tested it though.

(AFAIK if you just wipe out a civ* the loyalty penalty remains)

Edit:typo

Last edited:
I did think it was a supposed feature and not bug. I was hoping there was some way to mitigate it other than wait many turns. I guess just do the things I would normally do to raise loyalty. I don't think there is a simple way for me to eliminate grievances with a civ. From a gameplay perspective with the penalty that high it just doesn't make sense to declare peace. I just noticed this penalty so it will be interesting to see if it goes away once I wipe out the civ who founded the city.

-6.9 isn't that high. It's the local area giving -18.1 that is your problem.

Well, this sounds exciting. Conquered Cities staying disloyal...? Awesome.

How is this working?

Is it a flat X loyalty reduction while the original owner still has greviences, or does it scale with the amount of greviences? i.e. higher greviences means more disloyalty?

Yes, I also noticed that. Took 3 cities, all kept, then during peace deal cede’d. Yet still some negative loyalty due to occupation was present.
However, other odd thing was that the last city, capital actually, was getting a huge negative loyalty, ready to rebel in 5, then 4, then 3 turns. Then military emergency popped against me, which I lost, and suddenly city had positive loyalty. In summary - do emergencies influence loyalty in any way?

I thought the March 2018 Patch added +20 loyalty to cities which are the target of an emergency, to stop them flipping back to someone else and ending the emergency. Bit of a kludge.

Weird I still have -10 loyalty from occupation grievance with city founder a turn after eliminating the civ. Not sure how grievances are going to go down with the civ dead.

Just googling to see if anyone else is dealing with this and came by this thread. I'm trying a domination game and I seem to have a permanent occupation "grievances with city founder" modifier that hasn't changed for well over a hundred turns after eliminating the civilization. That can't be by design; I conquered several cities, the penalty varies by original civ (I think it's capped at -10), which makes me think that it's set at whatever their grievance level was prior to me wiping them off the map. So far I've managed the situation with governors, policy cards and amenities, but I can see this becoming much more difficult as I expand further.

Hopefully this gets patched sooner than later.

Yeah, loyalty in occupied cities seems bugged.

Oh and an emergency gives massive loyalty bonuses to prevent the city from flipping and therefore giving an easy win.

Top Bottom