Ocp & Rcp

Ibanez

Chieftain
I was reading the RCP thread and trying to find ocp info. I guess the search function has been disabled to improve speed.

How do you know what distance to use for the RCP? Personal perference? I really couldn't find anything on OCP in strat & tips either. Of course, maybe the answers are there and I'm not looking hard enough. Little help please?

Many variables come into play when I decide the distance for RCP. If it is a larger map I will make the ring further out, to optimize for larger cities near the capital.

The terrain often affects my decision too. At size 5 maybe too many possible cities sites are in the water or mountains. Maybe 4.5 or 6 would be better. It takes some time to look at the map and decide what is best.

I like to use two rings if possible.

In my opinion OCP was made obsolete by RCP for vanilla and PTW.

(I don't know what game you play but I think RCP does not work with Conquests.)

OCP (Optimal City Placement) had to do with building your cities in such a way that there's a 1 tile overlap maximum. IMHO, it's a type a RCP, since you're still building your cities in a circle. True RCP wasn't something I always worried about, since I always tried to go for which area would give me the best production. I never really tried a true RCP in a pre-C3C game, but I might've done it accidently too in a few games. To me, both methods are the extreme ends of city placement.

OCP - This is best for maxing out production, but it can slow you down.

RCP - Apparently, it was a way to have less corrupt cities, but you could sacrifice some production - although, I've never tried this method 100% yet.

Top Bottom