One obstinate governor.

Aabraxan

Mid-level Micromanager
I've got an obstinate governor on my hands. I just started a new game: Emperor, Dutch, continents, random opponents. Amsterdam is 1 turn from growing from size 2 to size 3. I've got "emphasize production" on, and "manage citizen moods" off. They are the same settings that I always use, but for some reason, the governor turns the next citizen into a clown! :mad: I've not had this problem in other games, but this governor is determined to give me a clown.

Have I accidentally changed a setting? If not, any clue as to why the governor is doing this?

Here's the save.

Thanks,
Aabraxan

I've noticed this at Emperor as well, when a new citizen is born and this would cause unhappiness problems in the turn after that, it becomes a clown.
But please be at peace, the extra production is still added up, only after that is he turned into a clown, so this won't break a settler/worker pump that relies on inter-turn production at growth.

You just need to manually assign the citizen to a tile, then up the lux slider.

On the bright sight, your city won't go into a riot if you forget to up the lux slider after growth.

Its a feature of Emperor and higher difficulty levels, I think. because only one citizen gets born content.
Firaxis must have thought it doesn't matter whether you manually solve the happiness problem after growth, or manually assign the citizen after growth.
But it does matter if you accidentally lost track of happiness, and you lose a whole turn to a disorder.

In any event, the governor behaves the same as always, if you gain unhappiness (lose a lux, gain WW) the governor will not turn additional citizens into clowns. It will only turn the newly born citizen into a clown, and only if it would have caused a disorder the turn after that...

Nothing to do with difficulty level per se. What is happening is that your border popped; after a 10-culture border pop, the governor is always brought in to reassign the tiles (not sure about 100-culture border pops and above), and this includes employing clowns if necessary. But as MAS observed, the reassignment only occurs after commerce, food and shields have been counted (because border popping is a function of culture accumulation, and that is only counted after the build phase - notice that temples et al earn culture on the same interturn they are built).
The reason you don't see this clown often is that the town must grow into potential unhappiness and pop borders on the same turn.

I've got an obstinate governor on my hands. I just started a new game: Emperor, Dutch, continents, random opponents. Amsterdam is 1 turn from growing from size 2 to size 3. I've got "emphasize production" on, and "manage citizen moods" off. They are the same settings that I always use, but for some reason, the governor turns the next citizen into a clown! :mad: I've not had this problem in other games, but this governor is determined to give me a clown.

Have I accidentally changed a setting? If not, any clue as to why the governor is doing this?

Here's the save.

Thanks,
Aabraxan

Maybe u need the clown so your city wont go into Civil disorder? Get a Military unit in ur city! ;)

The problem was that the governor was automatically creating a clown. Initially, it appeared to be that the governor did this instead of allowing the citizen to be born cranky. Obviously, I'd rather have them born cranky (so that I get the gold or shields) and then use an MP or the slider, but the mystery has been solved.

Top Bottom