One thing I don't understand about academies...

Makenshi

Ahoy, ye salty dogs!
In the tech web, the academy description says: yields +3 science, provides +2 science. How does this work? I built one, then checked the science description of the city and, while I could easily identify the +3 from terrain, I couldn't find any +2 provided by the academy...

The +1 health from the Biowell and the +10 hp from the Dome are in plain sight, but not the +2 science from the Academy?

Also, I see people talking about how the Learning Centers virtue gives +2 to academies, but when I look at the virtues, it says +1 intead. Is there a quest or something that boosts the virtue to +2?

Academies were buffed at some point. They were originally 2 and the Knowledge virtue added 2, was changed to 3+1.

It is a typo. The +2 tooltip was added manually (when Academies where stillgranting one less yield), while the +3 part of the tooltip is displayed automaticially by the game.

The virtue for +2 science from Academies was nerfed to +1 in the Fall Patch (so it's not worth bothering with it anymore).

Don't really understand why the yields are in the tooltip anyway, these yields have always been displayed correctly in the automatically adjusting "yields"-section, even in Civ 5.

It is a typo. The +2 tooltip was added manually (when Academies where stillgranting one less yield), while the +3 part of the tooltip is displayed automaticially by the game.

The virtue for +2 science from Academies was nerfed to +1 in the Fall Patch (so it's not worth bothering with it anymore).

You keep calling it a typo every time this is brought up yet the problem continues despite several patches having been put out (all of which have completely ignored this issue). It's amazingly bad that they don't fix this. Besides, I don't think 'typo' is quite accurate; note, for instance, how the Terrascape lists the 2/2/2 for both 'provides' and 'yields' - it sooner appears to be some kind of unintelligible convention used by the game. In any case, the tooltip descriptions are wrong and misleading to new players - yet still in the game, half a year after release.

Well, it's not really a "typo", it's rather a number that was correct first and didn't get corrected when the actual yield was changed. That said, GAGAs explanation was still correct, the "Provides: Science +2" is just text, it does not automatically get adjusted, the lower number is a variable that gets filled with the correct number automatically.

I have no idea what the terrascape has to do with that though. "provides" and "yields" are used interchangeably here.

Btw, that whole inconsistency got my hopes up back when MD was on the Firaxis stream - I thought maybe some improvements would give yields to the city regardless if they were worked or not. Oh well... :[

Top Bottom