One tip for each CIV

Inca: Cheaper road upkeep means that you can connect your cities much earlier to make gold - and that you can create cheap bridges over rivers once you have Engineering.

Korea: A Holy Site with the Piety finisher bonus is an amazing tile improvement for Korea.

Egypt: Get Piety if you want to play wide - being able to build the maintenance-free Burial Tombs quicker is a godsend during the early game.

Indonesia: With the fresh water requirement for the Candi removed by the fall patch, the "Peace Gardens" follower belief has become a powerful option for Indonesia.

Morocco: Kasbah are a powerful improvement, particulary on desert hills. Their effects stacks with Petra, so make sure you grab this wonder when playing on a difficulty level below immortal.

America: Buying tiles during the early game can be an effective option to quickly grab critical ressources and luxuries or hinder the expansion of enemy cities next to your own.

Sweden: The Great Person generation bonus from multiple Declarations of Friendship stacks for you.

Assyria: The city attack bonus from Siege Towers works on other Siege Towers.

India: If you play as a team, make sure that your partners gift you luxuries during the early game. This will allow you to mitigate the drawback of your UA and effectively support more pop-per-luxury at the same time.

Netherlands: A Polder on a marsh tile will be destroyed if you clear the marsh at a later point.

Austria: Unlike the Windmill, the Coffee House can be build in all cities - even those founded on a hill.

Maya: Time advances rapidly during the early game, so researching Theology early can yield you several additional Great Persons from your UA.

Russia: While Tundra bias will usually not create the best starting location in terms of food and hammers, you have at least a good chance to find lots of strategic ressources (Iron, Horses, Oil, Aluminum, Uranium) on these tiles.

Zulus: Build up about 10 impis (obviously before Ikanda and armory are up)

Why would you want your Impis/upgraded-rifles to miss out on extra movement, strength, flanking, and cover. Ikanda promos are the best. Zulu units don't need to lose those to get standard promos, they can have it all - that's why they get... faster promos...

Byzantium: Use every fibre of your being to get a religion, preferably first if at all possible. Then spread it like wildfire. Annhilate every other religion in the world (through force of arms if necessary), and then win using whichever bonuses you got.

This isn't a tip, it's a grueling challenge. How does one extra bonus belief make all this effort worthwhile or more rewarding? Sadly, the devs forgot their caffeine when they designed Byzantium. There's no tip for them besides "try double hard."

Celts: Get stonehedge if you can

Any civ can get Stonehenge. Strats based on Stonehenge don't leverage the Celt's uniques. +5 and +6 faith between turn 30-100 isn't as significant a difference as +1 and +0 between turn 0-10.

My Celts tip is used your saved hammers from not building a Shrine on more early scouting, this will net rewards that any other religion civ would miss. The benefit of being the Celts is not having to forgo units to get religion. Play the basic strat that's strongest for your terrain and count on your free early pantheon and happiness to guide you to success. Ignore early wonders, you already have most of what they would give you (culture via religion and happiness).

Morroco: Restart the game because I swear this UA doesn't even work, or at least it doesn't work for sea trade routes. It definitely benefits other civs with the +2 :c5gold: per:trade:, but not me.

Last time I played Morocco I thought so, too.
But then I found out the bonus only works ONCE PER CIV. So, if you have 3 traderoutes to one Civ, you only get the bonus once. If you send them to 3 different civs you get 3 times the bonus.
AND since it is therefore not a direct per-route-bonus it isn't listed in the traderoute screen. If you hover over your gold and culture values at the top THERE you will see "+# gold/culture from attributes".

So: Once per Civ bonus, visible in details of gold/culture instead of traderoute screen.
Intuitive much! :p

Netherlands 1: Use the UA to get 2 happiness (-2 +4) if you need it fast, and have no double luxes to trade and AI does.

Netherlands 2: Don't ever underestimate the power of polders even if it's a desert river start.

Don't you mean especially if you start on a desert river? Polders on flood plains are better than polders on marshes.

Either way, polders are fantastic.

Somebody pls. do Japan! I don't think I saw them here and just now started a game with them. I have G&K btw.

Some pretty cool tips for the others here!

JAPAN: Settle your capital next to AT LEAST 1 atoll and 3+ sea resources. Focus on settling the majority of your cities on the coast next to abundant sea resources. The other fight-oriented aspect of the UA is good, but the culture from sea resources is what you should focus on.

Denmark: Ignore the other ignorant remarks, rush Dynamite then Steam and crush any city within 3 tiles of the coast in one turn.

Rome : You need iron for Legions...
No iron no chocolate :lol:
Rome bis : Prioritize your capital... Roma Mater, Roma AEterna !

Polynesia:

Note that the tourism boost you get with Airports is MUCH bigger than the boost from hotels. Nooobody knows why, but the Airport boost from the big Moia combos is monstrous.

Also: your first builds on an island map: Warrior (for worker mugging), Scout, Scout, Scout. Don't bother building a shrine, hope for a religious ruin turn 20+.

Also: Don't feel the need to uber-moia early, especially not grassland. Though if you have a cargo ship to the spot and can get 3+ culture per location, then go for it.

Netherlands:

-build armories, military academy in coastal city
-produce/purchase seabeggars
-upgrade seabeggars into destroyers (keep these units alive!)
-dominate the oceans

(these are SERIOUSLY dangerous naval units - maybe they can even compete against English navy. Ottoman navy would be dangerous opponent though)

With Dutch, you could even go negative gold per turn, with ship maintenance cost. But, remember you can always delete old ships in your own borders for extra cash (the enemy ships that you capture when you defeat them)

Germany:
-build Hanse banks in your cities
-put trade caravans/ships to city states
-take religious community belief
-enjoy godlike production in your cities
-take freedom tree, and nato-foreign relations boost to city states - easy diplowin

any more tips for America, though?

Often times, I feel like their advantages are so passive, that they don't really lend themselves to specific victory conditions terribly well.

Except domination, tbh. Those minuteman, upgraded into infantries and mech infantries... :yup:

Also American nuclear subs rule the seas, in late game warfare it feels like. You get +1 sight from nuclear sub, +1 American sight, + normal promotions.

America, you could choose liberty social policy and expand. Beeline to crossbows and if next to other civilizations, buy the needed tiles for resources. The tiles will be cheaper so that you could buy more tiles.

SPAIN: If you are playing against random opponents, start all over if POLYNESIA is included. They will ruin your chances of obtaining new wonders bonuses mid-game after astronomy.

POLYNESIA: (on Terra) Take your settler to the new world on turn 1, but leave your warrior behind to swipe enemy workers and send them over to the new world as slave labor. Enjoy a peaceful existence with no real need to build an army until Astronomy.

Japan - Wait until you get Samurais and then take coastal cities while pillaging all of the sea resources. The samurais can then quickly build fishing boats.

The change to Japan is linked to a BNW patch, and I know from a friend who recently bought vanilla that it hasn't been changed in vanilla/G&K. So this isn't much help to someone with G&K.

It's also frankly a very marginal ability to base a strategy around - if you're going to hit coastal cities at Longswords, Denmark is almost immeasurably superior - Berserkers are faster, unlock earlier, and can pillage more effectively than Samurai, and that's without the support of instant set-up trebuchets (since you can research Physics in the time Japan takes to get to Steel and still have Berserkers). Japan doesn't even gain anything much from pillaging fishing boats or anything else, since Bushido lets them attack at full strength with their damaged units.

And if you're waiting that long to hit coastal cities, the culture benefit you're getting from boats is pretty marginal by that game stage as well.

I have to say I'm somewhat bewildered by the Japan change and not clear on what it was actually meant to fix - it makes the civ very slightly less boring, but still not terribly good, while the German overhaul massively improved that civ.

Isabella/Spain - If you find a faith mountain for your second city (hard buy it with the 500 :c5gold: gift), take One With Nature as your pantheon as the +4 :c5faith: is doubled. Mt. Sinai will produce 24 :c5faith:!!!

If your neighbors have a problem with your expansion plans (the rest of your continent), take Holy Warriors as one of your religious beliefs (you'll found a religion likely within 8 turns of working Sinai) and faith-buy your army. You'll keep up the wonder/building production in your capital and produce an army faster than any other civ would be able to hard-building units. Composite bowman are only 120 :c5faith:, which means you're producing them once every 5 turns. Unless you're on Deity, this type of rush is unbeatable.

Worried about a warmonger penalty with a neighboring civ? Kill them next.

As an added bonus, if you open Piety, you get the pantheon benefit from minority religions in addition to the main religion. As soon as that city with the NW picks up one follower from your religion, the religion bonus is doubled, for an extra 8 faith... or 32 total from one tile.

Why would you want your Impis/upgraded-rifles to miss out on extra movement, strength, flanking, and cover. Ikanda promos are the best. Zulu units don't need to lose those to get standard promos, they can have it all - that's why they get... faster promos...

My apologies. I meant after not before. Why on earth did I say before...? :wallbash:

America: Survive long enough to atomic era. Build a ton of B17's and get air repair easily.

Songhai: Restart if your map has too much sea and you're on a small island, because that usually means less barb encampments or consider raiding other civs early on, being mindful of warmonger penalty. Hopefully Egypt is in your game. Use spies to figure out whether they have tombs in all their cities or not. Use a landsknect to capture cities.

Celts: Restart if not next to forest. No need to go for stonehenge in my opinion. Open Honor to make use of UU and complete liberty to make use of UB.

Ethiopia: Although UB's might hint that a wide empire is an option, UA says otherwise. Settle about 4-6 cities but no more. Train mehal safaris to get cover 1 and 2 promotions and you should be safe from attacks especially near your capitol.

Mongols: Follow traditional approach until chivalry (and perhaps steel as well to get armories and then train the keshiks). Open honor and get military code + the 50% XP boost to mass level up your keshiks. Aim for double attack then range then march then the rest.

Persia:
UB often suggests a wide approach, UU suggests open honor and UA suggests tradition + "get to da Itza!"

Top Bottom