Only 18 Civs allowed in the game? Civ 3 could do better!

Blackfire13

Chieftain
I haven't bought the game, but in it said in the manual i downloaded that 18 was the most amount the game could handle. In Civ 3, you could have up to 31 civs! so this is a step backwards in my opinion. I was looking forward to this game, but now it seems there are less modding attractions than before. Or am I mistaken?

Also this game has no flavor units, which was disapointing. several years of modding has given civ 3 a huge amount of flavor units which i put in my own scenario, with also 31 players.

Theres only one consoling thought for me: Since this game is in 3D, would it be easier to transfer the 3D models people made when they moded Civ3 to Civ4?

There is flavor in the game, however it's based on a civs preference of growth/religion/economy/military/science

Yeah but they are talking about a hard limit.

You can have more than 18 civs in the game to choose from. You don't replace any. But I understand that you can only have 18 on a map.

I'm greatly disappointed at this because Soren said it was hard coded. I'm hoping this limit is raised in the future.

When i say 31 civs, I mean I can play 31 Civs at the same time. If I understand the manual, I can only play up to 18. Hopefully this will change? Sid Mier, can you comment?

Performance wise, I doubt we want more than 18 on a map at any given time anyways.

Still is kind of a drag though.

Was it possible to add new civilizations in an unpatched vanilla Civ3? I seem to recall severe limitations to what the original editor could do (undo not working, inability to assign specific civs to a starting location, and inability to place units and cities are stuff I distinctly remember, but I can't remember about adding civs).

CdGGambit said:
Performance wise, I doubt we want more than 18 on a map at any given time anyways.

Still is kind of a drag though.

Yea, as i seem to recall civ3 was hard to play when all 31 of thoose nations had a nicely sized army :cry:

I beleave civ4 is based on performance not having a sheer number of civs that do nothing but waste game space.

I don't really see the point of having 31 civs. 18 does me fine on this game judging on all the new features and faster gamplay its hard enough without having another 12 trigger happy civs on the map.:lol:

He was talking about having more than 18 civs in general, not just in a single game, but in a mod in general, like having 100s of civs to choose from in the civ selection screen. Also people may like having more than 18, for a more realistic expierence(since there are more than 18 countries in real life), why not let some people have that?

Seriously though, someone should go into the civ4 editor(those that have the game) and see if you can add in new civs.

jbfballrb said:
you couldnt add anything without the patched editor.

That's what I thought.

So, by comparison, I think Civ4 isn't so bad.

It is possible to add as many Civ to choose from as possible - this is edited in a XML file, and there is no hard limit on this. But in a game you can have at most 18 Civs at a time. This is a hard-coded limit. Note that in original Civ3 this limit was 16 per game. It was increased later on to 31.

I should say that unless you have some mega-powerful computer, Civ4 as it stands would be unplayable with 18 Civs. For most people even with very powerful computers the game gets quite slow with 9 Civs on a large map.

Top Bottom