Open Borders

copy+paste from the bug thread - it never really belonged in there anyway:

"
This is (as stated) due to the AI_Animal behavior of never entering owned territory. The code just needs to be tweaked so that if they ever find themselves completely inside of owned territory they will either change AI types, or push a travel mission to the nearest unowned tile.

a travel mission to the nearest unowned tile sounds like the best fix... and imho it should be applied to all units that suddenly find themselves in "forbidden" ( i.e. no open border treaty ) cultural borders due to borders expanding that turn... usually the unit just gets moved 1 tile and it's not an issue, but sometimes there is no nearby tile to move it to ( happens a lot with Erebus mapscript cuz of all those mountain ranges ) and the unit finds itself very far away... it's very weird. and now that I think of it, this should be applied to units that are in cultural borders when you declare war, instead of getting zapped back instantaneously they are forced to walk back, which sounds a lot more reasonable to me. "

Now that it isn't in the bug thread I can feel free to respond :) Thanks for moving outside to actually hold discussion ;)

Using this for Barbarian units (animals) is a valid approach, though I would prefer to change the AI so that they will lash out at the player who has a den in his territory. But using it on human units causes issues because you must either refuse to give them control of the unit until the move order is complete (leading to bug reports, and much MP griefing where you wait until they have the bulk of their army in the middle of your lands to declare war and attack while they have no use of their troops), or the player just grabs the unit and tells it to stop moving away and begin attacking.

thanx for the reply xienwolf :)

refusing to give the player control of the unit until the move order is complete is in fact what I was thinking of. I'm not a fan of not implementing features cuz they could lead to "false" bug reports, but I do see that that could be annoying . the possible MP exploit is a serious issue, but I think that can be avoided by having this mechanic kick in only for the player that DECLARES war, and not for the player that gets DoWed. ( so you can't "sneak attack" others without being CoE, and they can't exploit you by DoWing when your units are within their borders. )

Top Bottom