Open movement between teams?

Does changing the password via the Alt-D menu in-game work too? I seem to recall it might not have, but I'm not sure. Just seems easier to do it that way than to go through the process of retiring and re-logging in.

In the ISDG we had to change our PW and there wasn't the way about ingame menu. I think this is in simul the same, because you can change the name only with "log in" not ingame.

@azzaman: Are you saying that there is NO ONE you have encountered in all your time on these forums that you would trust, on-their honor to keep quiet about team secrets after defecting? If you have encountered such a person, and they wanted to defect to my team, and I was willing to accept them (which I probably would be, b/c I want people to be on teams where they are happy)... Then that is the answer to your question.

I can't honestly say I would trust anyone who defects from one team to another.

If a team is eliminated, then the players are considered Refugees and are free to go to any team still in play. That is not the same as what we are discussing here. I think we know that, but let's just be sure. :D

Since changing the game password can be done, there comes the issue of damaged goods regarding the player wishing to change teams, not to mention the whole concept of spying for the prior team.

Before the map is made and the initial starts are known, a person could change teams freely. Most likely they won't, but since nothing of the game is known at this point, they can't be taking any spoiler/private information with them.

After this point, if a player wishes to change teams, they still can, but not as easily. The process could be:
  • State in the Sign-up thread that they wish to change teams.
  • Have their access to their former team ended.
  • Wait for either 30 days or 30 turns (whichever comes first).
  • Request to join another team, like any other person coming into the game.

This, I think, would greatly help the player in question throughout the game. He still retains the knowledge he had of his prior team from when he left, but by now that knowledge is dated and unreliable. He would not be seen as a pawn from the prior team, since he has not had contact with them for some time. More importantly, the new team would know he has been out of the loop for a while and would (hopefully) be more accepting of the new player.

The new team is still going to be wary of the player. I don't think that can be avoided. But they won't suspect the player of being a spy, which appears to the biggest concern when changing teams.

A waiting period sounds like a good idea, but I don't think a player would want to jump ship without knowing ahead of time there is a landing zone somewhere. Unless they're so out of it that it's no loss if nobody will take them in. And they possibly don't want their old team to know they might be leaving, or they might get shunned by the team and then not find a place to go.

How about this?
  • Player wants to switch teams, contacts prospective new team
  • Receiving team decides if they want to accept the player. Informs player and admins (so acceptance can't be revoked)
  • If yes, player leaves team, sits out waiting period, enters new team. All teams are notified of the switch.

I like DaveShack's ideas, too.

I hadn't thought about someone smart enough to make plans before they left their team.

Now, if we just had some Admins....

Dave
You permit a player to switch to another team without consent of his old team.

I vote against and see no reason for it. A commitment is for the whole time of the DG.

A refugee can after some time (~10-20 turns) join another.

One point about the whole espionage/mistrust thing, why does a player have to change teams to betray information to other teams? We can all use pm's on the forum anyway :p

It's not spionage/mistrust I look at, but if you know more than your team because you know the plans/maps etc of the other team, you can't play fair in the team. If you say something iit isn't fair, if you say nothing it isn't fair.

btw
I think the most players want that their team wins and so they will not give informations to other teams.

The idea does sound very interesting, but since the entire team forum is open to the new, switched player, the cloak-and-dagger aspect of it doesn't exist properly. I agree that we can have a problem of someone joining a team only to later realize it isn't the team they enjoy, but I'm not sure this is the way.

I first suggest creating a thread "Wanting to Find a Team?" or something similar to better help new players find their team, though agree we should eventually discuss what to do when a player wants to switch.

Edit: My reply was based off of the OP, not the entire thread.

It's not spionage/mistrust I look at, but if you know more than your team because you know the plans/maps etc of the other team, you can't play fair in the team. If you say something iit isn't fair, if you say nothing it isn't fair.
I agree with HUSch; I just can't see how this mechanic will work. It seems like it is bound to cause trouble at some stage with at least one person or group: either the switching player, the team they switch to, the team they switched from, or possibly a third party team. I don't see the benefit of introducing something that is not really needed for gameplay purposes, and has so much potential for causing arguments and mistrust.

btw
I think the most players want that their team wins and so they will not give informations to other teams.
Probably not.

Of course, everyone is always completely welcome to share all their information with Team Sirius if they so desire. :D

I agree with HUSch; I just can't see how this mechanic will work. It seems like it is bound to cause trouble at some stage with at least one person or group: either the switching player, the team they switch to, the team they switched from, or possibly a third party team. I don't see the benefit of introducing something that is not really needed for gameplay purposes, and has so much potential for causing arguments and mistrust.

Probably not.

Of course, everyone is always completely welcome to share all their information with Team Sirius if they so desire. :D

Especially when it was the arguments and mistrust that caused a turnplayer to quit the previous game.

So, I could begin on team A, switch over to team and then later switch back to team A? Sounds like fun. :backstab:

Does changing the password via the Alt-D menu in-game work too? I seem to recall it might not have, but I'm not sure. Just seems easier to do it that way than to go through the process of retiring and re-logging in.

That is the only way of changing the password. It does not work in game. Many people have tried it before and it s a flaw in the software, such as the diplo window pause issue. [pissed]

This rule will mean so much work for any admin to do and i am not sure if anyone would really want to do all this.

Top Bottom