Openings

IDK, I never play 1. d4, and I never reply with 1. ... e5 (I prefer ... f5). I would like to see some answers, though. Nice to learn new openings.

I won with the Dutch Defense on Pogo recently against a player rated over 100 points higher than me (I haven't played that much but I had 1370 at the time, and I think I also have 1370 now, he had like 1502) using the Dutch Defense, I played that person four times and that was my only win. It doesn't open up any pieces though which is clearly a weakness of the defense. I also don't know it very well.

I switch between D4, E4 (Both common choices for me), the occasional C4, or the very occasional B3, G3, or NF3 (Don't think I've ever played NC3, at least not since I've started trying to learn chess strategy but I might try it sometime). E4 gives a better opening for the Queen, although I rarely play the Queen early anyway (I'll commonly move all of my minor pieces and castle first) while D4 ensures that your pawn will be protected by your queen. I think D4 is probably better for me though, since I tend to make big mistakes when playing aggressive, and D4 seems like the more conservative choice.

I enjoy playing the King's Gambit and then if they accept it (My opponents almost always do) playing D4 immediately. How viable is that strategy?

What's the best way to play when you start with D4 and your opponent replies with E5? I know E5 is supposed to be a poor response to D4 but whenever I play D4 against my brother and my brother plays E5, I end up having problems. I usually accept the gambit, but not always. What is the best strategy on move 2 and from there?

Accept the gambit, but don't be concerned about keeping the Pawn. Allow him to win it back, at the cost of better development for you.

I wrote the whole game in the share your games thread, so you can see it if you want. I was trying king's side, but it didn't work because I traded pieces instead of going for checkmate or just an offensive against black.
My apologies for answering you so late, I simply forgot this thread. I had a quick look at your game without a board, but lost interest in it after that early Ng5. You should bring out your pieces instead. I also recommend the games of Boris spassky in this opening.

What's the best way to play when you start with D4 and your opponent replies with E5? I know E5 is supposed to be a poor response to D4 but whenever I play D4 against my brother and my brother plays E5, I end up having problems. I usually accept the gambit, but not always. What is the best strategy on move 2 and from there?
This is one of the absolutely worst gambits, and there are many ways of getting the advantage. A good line is 1.d4 e5 2.dxe5 Nc6 3.Nf3 De7 4.Bf4 (4.Qd5 is excellent too) and if 4...Qb4+ 5.Bd2 Qxb2 6.Nc3! (not 6.Bc3? Bb4!) with a crushing position for White.

I enjoy playing the King's Gambit and then if they accept it (My opponents almost always do) playing D4 immediately. How viable is that strategy?
Not very viable, assuming that you mean 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.d4; an ancient line I believe stems from Polerio. Black can just play 3...Qh4+ 4.Ke2 d5 with good play.
Finally for your question about how to play against someone bringing out their queen early. You are doing it right, just develop normally. As long as you don't blunder away something, you shouldn't have to worry. A typical line is 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 Nc6 3.Bc4 g6 4.Qf3 Nf6 5.Ne2 Bg7 and Black has no problems as far as I can see.

By bringing out my pieces are you referring to the pawn moves afterwards? I had only been bringing out my pieces after the two pawn moves.

Indeed I did. A move like 5.Ng5 are only good if it can be backed up with concrete variations, like for instance 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Ng5!? or 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.0-0 Bc5 5.Re1? Ng4!. If not, it is but a blow in the air.5.Nc3 is good, with 0-0, d4 etc. to follow. That said, I don't like 4.Bc4 nor 4...Nf6 much.

Thank you for the help. I'll try it out in my next game and see how it goes.

You are most welcome. Don't hesitate to ask about some other openings in the future, I promise not to keep you waiting so long then....

Not very viable, assuming that you mean 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.d4; an ancient line I believe stems from Polerio. Black can just play 3...Qh4+ 4.Ke2 d5 with good play.

That was the line I meant. Lately (Before reading this post) I've done the reverse, in other words, 1. D4 D5 2. C4 dxc4 3. E4...

Is this better, worse, or equivalent?

That was the line I meant. Lately (Before reading this post) I've done the reverse, in other words, 1. D4 D5 2. C4 dxc4 3. E4...

I think Black's best answer to 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 3. e4 is to play 3. ... e5 4. dxe4 Be6.

Of course, White doesn't have to take on move 4, but he gets no opening advantage with other moves either, AFAIK.

It is much better.
This line is more ambitious and enterprising than the other alternatives White has on move 3; 3.Nf3, 3.Nc3 or 3.e3 (3.Qa4+ is of course playable too, but yields nothing, except for normal moves like 3...Bd7 or 3...Nbd7 Black can even play 3...Qd7!? 4.Qxc4 Qc6). I can only see one possible problem with it, more about that below.
First of all, I don't agree that 3...e5 equalizes. On the contrary, after 4.Nf3! I see a small but clear advantage for White, either if Black plays ...exd4 directly or interposes ...Bb4+. The resulting positions gives White a useful space advantage and majority in the center. Of course, the black position is structurally sound and she/he has no development problems but for my taste at least I wouldn't like being Black here.
There are some other alternatives. 3...c5 is not fully satisfactory; both the complicated 4.d5 or the calmer 4.Nf3 seems to give White a comfortable advantage as well. 3...Nc6 is interesting, but a bit too provocative. 3...Nf6 is also playable, but again White should be able to keep that small and useful edge.
However, the problem might be that Black can in fact play 3...b5!? intending to just keep the pawn after 4.a4 c6! (4...Bb7 seems weaker). I am not up to date with the theory in this line, but from what I remember this forces you to play a real gambit.
So in conclusion, the line 1.d4 d5 2.c4 dxc4 3.e4 is a good one if you like dynamic play and don't mind sacrificing a pawn for an overweight in the centere and attacking prospects. If not you are better served with any of the alternatives mentioned above.

Gambits are to imbalance the game. If you want safer games do a Karpov and refuse the gambit, play Caro-Kahn and Queen's Indian. I believe the theory is that a defensive style yields results against inexperienced play. Overall attacking builds the imagination better and improves overall play or so I read.

While positional play is good for piece understanding, attacking puts the opponent under more pressure with tactical/placement mix. It's a matter of preference.

But to get ahead overall that's why all kinds of sacrifices are made even right out of the opening.

With white: Reversed Stonewall or 1. e4, playing the Grand Prix Attack against the Sicilian and the Kieseritsky or Muzio Gambit against 1... e5.
With black, against d4: Stonewall or Cambridge Springs
Against e4: e5, playing the Marshall Gambit against the Ruy Lopez and declining the King's Gambit
Against c4: Symmetrical English
Against Nf3: Nf6, which could transpose into the Symmetrical English or the Queen's Gambit
Against f4: From's Gambit
Against f3: Laugh

I wish I discovered this thread and subforum earlier, I used to play fairly often with my high school chess club and even a bit in undergrad.

I remember preferring the Queen's Gambit as white and the Sicilian Defense as black, although I started experimenting more with various king pawn openings as I grew more experienced. Although I tried to play English, it never felt right.

Welcome Antilogic, this subforum's kind of dead lately. Maybe I could revive it with a chess tournament if people are interested. I used to have them every year (correspondence chess).

Go for it Narz! Well, for what it's worth I'll just answer. In my first two moves, I like to control that 2x2 center square of the board. Gives you a bit of an advantage on the board.

Depending on the time control, I might be up for a tournament.

Remember that controlling the center doesn't always mean occupying it.

Top Bottom