[GS] Opinions on Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily_Lancer

Deity
Consider you are in a weird map in which you're blocked by a CS. (on a narrow pass maybe, and you're on a side with tundras and snows and little room to develop)

Normal Civ: War that CS, capture it, and develop on the good side. Such a map makes no sense on my Civ development.

Canada: Urrr...Maybe start another game?

I never war city states even if i'm really close to them or they take most ofthe island. usually their bonus is too interesting to pass on (except you , culture alliance city state)

This is a problem that I mentioned in another thread. Since there are no unique diplomatic bonuses for being friendly to the CS for Canada I feel like this is a major oversight. I am fairly confident in multiplayer this will be removed because it can literally end your game.

CS blocking your expansion and not having an easy way to deal with it is not fun game play, it is frustrating.

More like...

Canada: "I'm sooo sorry, would you please move a little to the North so I can pass? Please? Sooorrrryy..."

Seriously though: this "design" couldn't have been worse. Take the most cliche-like "known features" of a society, fill them with something (culture and production from hockey? :lol::lol::lol:), and throw it to the masses...

If anything, to me this "design" says a lot about what they think about their customers, and Canada.

Yawn. Give me a civ with both russia's Tundra ability and canadas farms & culture stuff. Then, we can talk.

And please leave me alone with weird abilities like "can't declare war".

Firaxis oversight in my eyes, joke civ.
I mean Gandhi can for gods sake, it’s a step too far with the toys.
Emergencies are a bit of a joke so at least they fit that ability.
Mounties should get tourism, coz they cannot fight.
They should have given Canada planes that do not fly also, oh they will do that as the AI anyway.

I don't think Canada's design is perfect, though I'm not down with the whining either: they're a decent design for a very intentionally peaceful builder-civ, which makes sense to me.

Things I don't love:
  • The Ice Rink shouldn't give food. What even is that about? The concession-stand Poutine? Or an ambiguous reference to Hockey fans having wild unprotected sex when their team wins? It makes no sense to me.
  • The Mountie bonus on or near National Parks. I hate geographical-bonuses for UUs already (possible exception: Ngao Mbebe, which isn't great but at least can move through Kongo's likely terrain well) and this one comes late and requires a lot to be useful, which it rarely ever will be.
Things I like:
  • The prohibition on Surprise Wars. Surprise Wars being the only way to play is exactly the sort of thing the game should be fixing.
  • The culture bonus from Ice Rinks. Yes, they're stereotypical. That's Civ for ya. Also, they make more sense than America's Film Studios in as many cities as you want. I even like the production bonus (though it would have made more flavor sense if they got the production bonus via amenities, probably.)
  • The tundra farms. Not only is this very fitting with Laurier's historically more positive version of "manifest destiny" but it goes great with:
  • Double resource extraction, which will be, along with no surprise wars, the biggest bonus Canada has.
  • The Mountie ability to create National Parks. No faith needed? And you'll have a lot of unused land anyway? Fantastic!
  • The Emergency bonus. I do think it needs a different name, but knowing now that emergencies aren't just wars, but calls for aid and the World Games and such, means a great opportunity for a real diplomatic game with flavor beyond the "make tons of money and buy city states" Civ V model.
Things I'm not even considering:
  • The horrors of getting a start with a CS creating an impassible choke point between myself and the rest of the world and having to either become suzerain or research shipbuilding.

Also, and this doesn't matter because the unit is historical, but Mounties don't even use horses anymore aside from for ceremonies. The NYPD is more mounted than the RCMP.

Seems weak tundra wont be worth settling even if you can farm it.
They showed in video that a tundra farm just give 2 food you can work that

Also, and this doesn't matter because the unit is historical, but Mounties don't even use horses anymore aside from for ceremonies. The NYPD is more mounted than the RCMP.

The horses don't fuss me, as the RCMP Musical Ride is still a pretty impressive show if you ever get to see it.

I'm more disappointed by the blatant display of rifles from a group that historically tried to go weaponless, if possible, or as minimally armed as prudent, in an effort to defuse tension and earn trust. There were only a few Mounties and they each had a huge territory. It was more important for them to convince the locals to follow the law than it was to try and force them to do so.

One nice thing about the ice hockey rink is that it can be built on snow, so that's something at least.

Overall, I'm find with the civ and look forward to trying it out.

Yea, I think not being able to war CS's is too much of a disadvantage.

I mean it's not Chariot Archer bad, but it heads there.

Honestly probably better if Canada has no tundra bias so they can settle those spaces later.

The horses don't fuss me, as the RCMP Musical Ride is still a pretty impressive show if you ever get to see it.

I'm more disappointed by the blatant display of rifles from a group that historically tried to go weaponless, if possible, or as minimally armed as prudent, in an effort to defuse tension and earn trust. There were only a few Mounties and they each had a huge territory. It was more important for them to convince the locals to follow the law than it was to try and force them to do so.

I’m fine with having Mounties in the game. But the implementation is wrong.

You’re dead right they shouldn’t have guns. That’s a big no no. I’m happy with the National Parks bonuses for Canada but I don’t think they should have been linked to Mounties. I’d rather have seem Candana have the ability to buy Naturalists with Gold, and then maybe spawn a free Mountie from National Parks.

I’m not sure what bonuses you then give Mounties though - because let’s face it, you’ve got to have Mounties for Canada. Probably just give them some passive bonus.

I also think Canada should have got a second UU. The Mountie is inconic, but also a bit silly. It would be nice to have another more vanilla UU to play with - maybe a unique ranger.

Separately, I think this thread should be merged with the other Canada thread. It’s getting very hard to follow this forum as it is. I’m a big fan of Lily’s posts, but if he really needs his own thread to discuss his views, can we maybe just have one “the World according to Lily” thread and he can post everything there and people can respond to him there, rather than multiple lily threads. Sorry. Not trying to close down discussion, but the multiple threads on the same topic is exhausting - I’m not even sure now what’s the difference between the general discussion thread and the screenshot thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom