Optimal strategies for fastest finish times in Civ6

Hopefully the AI is now more aggressive and won't let you sit there teching all the way to Future Tech or whatever with just some slingers as the whole of your army but, yeah... we'll see.

Unfortunately this one preview article which I read shows that AI is more peaceful, prince difficulty easier than in Civ5 :(

This - and we don't even know if this was real Prince difficulty or just a dumbed down version for review, arbitrarily labelled Prince.

Maybe, but why they would do it? (do they think reviewers are so bad that otherwise would lose on prince? ;))

Imho districts don't matter much for a huge part of the game. Its all about early game and they are a waste to build when you can build settlers, builders and military instead. Districts really start to matter once you reach medieval era and get lumber mills plus industrial district.

I'm not so sure about that.

Science is pop-based supported by districts. Maximizing science is therefore going to require getting the adjacency bonuses on Farms going ASAP. Missed turns on that will mean a lot of lost science across an empire, sort of the way that being late to Universities was a really really bad thing in CiV. So at some point you're likely to want to transition out of Settler spam long enough to get the basics in Science up due to cost efficiency.

Exactly when you want to make that transition is something of an open question. I'm not yet convinced that it's as late as Medieval, but you may well be correct.

Districts are also the main way to get great people. I'm still unsure how important GP, especially Great Scientists when considering SV will be but it's definitely something to consider, especially since they now all have unique abilities.
I imagine looking at the available GP pool before considering to build or delay a campus will become usual for the top players.

About the Archers XBow rushes, they now deal only 1/2 damage to cities and in some streams i've watched ranged units barely scratched the city's walls. IIRC it was Christopher Odd Scythia so he wasn't playing an optimal game and was probably past the opportunity window to use his Unique Unit (at least for conquest), but that was only Prince difficulty. We might face similar situations on Immortal/Deity with very narrow windows for simple ranged units to take cities.

Well, we'll know soon enough now :p

One thing I found "strange" with the preview build was we saw a livestream where they were showcasing "siege" and it looked like melee units with support units or Bombards were going to be important. Also using ZOC to cut off healing.

Then the preview build has cities that seem to be made of paper even with the ancient wall. Not exactly sure what that says about the final product. It could have a huge impact on what units make a proper domination "rush".

Marbozir overran a small map with just horseman and horse archers, Quill took cities with just longships and quadremes. Rushing seemed quite viable without support or bombards.
I don't really see a lot changing for the release build.

Prince difficulty!
Prince difficulty!
Prince difficulty!

He could probably have overrun them by Zerg rushing with warriors and slingers
The real question is, are those rushes possible on higher difficulties?

In my brief time of playing so far, I feel that if you're looking for a quick victory, Scythia is absolutely a great choice. Don't bother with districts, once you have three cities just start cranking those Horse Archers (this is all on Prince so far, still testing the waters before making an Emperor/Immortal run)

Districts are useless (especially the science one), you should just play Scythia, build horse, and conquer cities.

It's looking like almost anything gives a better return in early game than building a science district.
Don't know about late game because my games are ending before they seem to matter.

Also, from my experience, you can't win without at least one military policy with +100% cavalry production, unless you get luck and is alone in the world.

Top Bottom