1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Option to automatically avoid growth at happiness cap

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Flamer123, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Flamer123

Flamer123 Chieftain

I guess u learn something new every day : I've added three picutres to show a city in the happiness cap:

Slavery civic on -
    middle picture - the tile usage the auto-governor would have given me had i not double click on a the city - it's producing 15 food while consuming only 10, which means it will have -2 unhappiness if i let the govener handle it.

left picture - when i enter the city, I double click on the city tile, and the auto-governor changed tile usage to the picture on the right, producing 12 food while consuming 10 - still will grow to -1 happiness.

Slavery civic off

The right picture - the governor automatically uses the oasis (+3F+2C) instead of the fish tile (+5F+1C), thus avoiding the unnecessary growth and earning +1C each turn.

ok... good to know that the governor changes if slavery is on/off.

Slavery is one of the best civics. I use it for most of the game, and as i've read, a lot of other players do as well. Slavery really helps jumpstart small cities, However, it doesn't mean that anyone intends for all his cities to be whipped if slavery is on. Moreover, it's usually not cost-effective to whip 10+ pop cities.

In conclusion, i think that allowing all cities under slavery to drop to unhappiness is a bad algorithm, and if Firaxis change it, there would probably be little reason for adding an "automatic avoid growth" option.

Attached Files:

2. AySteve

AySteve Chieftain

I never used to bother with this screen but it is greatly improved in bts. It now shows the net hapiness (colour coded green for :) > :mad: and red for :mad: > :) ) Makes it so much easier to glance down the list and see quickly, compared to looking at the difference between two columns. The net value of food is also shown so you can also see which of these cities is growing.