Order/Autocracy culture and happiness problems?

Epic_Marsupial

Chieftain
Hey guys,

I'm playing right now as england and on Prince *Normal* level. I'm having a lot of problems with my culture and unhappiness. I'm only pumping out 80 culture and -25 happiness...

Can someone tell me What I'm doing wrong?

I took over my continent, and then I was still way behind persia on the other continent so I spammed out Ship of the Lines (so much fun!) And took almost all of his cities becuase they were all costal. I'm ahead now but rebels keep appearing.

I saw on another thread that I should by be buying and building culture and happiness buildings, problem is, all my cities are puppeted!

Should I annex them and build the buildings?

My GPT is at 210
Science at 399

I took Autocracy path.

-25 Happiness is very bad. Your cities won't grow and you get a 50% production penalty. Also barbs will spawn on your land.

When it happens, you need to rushbuy as many happiness buildings as possible, trade as much as possible, and if that still doesn't help, give away junk cities to other players.

In your case, if you took over a lot of Darius's "junk" cities (I assume you puppeted them), you can give some of those cities away to another AI player which you do not consider to be a "threat" to you. This will help you to maintain your happiness.

The best ways to get happiness are 1) Luxuries, 2) City States, 3) Religion.

Can you trade for more luxuries?
Can you gift gold to mercantile city states? Can you gift gold to city states that have luxuries that you don't? If so, they will give them to you once you're allies.
What does your religion look like? Did you select beliefs that grant happiness?

Can you post a save ?

I often play as England and have wins at this level via Science, Culture & Domination.

You do need to build "happiness" buildings in your own core cities,and you should also aim for some of the key wonders such as Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower. Both of these have a large significance on happiness.

Also, don't take on too much in one go. Take a couple of cities, get the happiness back up and take some more. Raze those that are useless, I now raze around 50% of cities I take, keeping those with significant resources, wonders or lux's. You have to be a bit strategic about building your empire and what you keep.

A save would be helpful...

-25 happines is too much. starting a new game would be good. start a new game and follow experienced players' recommendations, soon, you'll get great empire :)

-25 happines is too much. starting a new game would be good. start a new game and follow experienced players' recommendations, soon, you'll get great empire :)

-25 happiness is recoverable, especially since OP has coin. At 210gpt OP can afford to buy an AI lux every other turn or get some boost from mercantile CS.

To OPs point of social policies Autocracy seems to be pretty limited from a happy perspective. May be able to get some out of your other policy choces. ? :

War Acadamey said:
Police State
+3 Happiness from every Courthouse. Build Courthouses in half the usual time. The effectiveness of enemy spies is reduced by 25%. Your counterspies have a 25% increased chance of catching enemy spies.
Requires: Militarism

Thats tough! Means you'll have to annex and buy courthouses to see any happy out of autocracy.

Maybe take a look at other social policies you have open and see how far away you are from one that will impact happiness.

War Academy

Can always just raze some cities if you need to, right? The AI can spam garbage cities because it has tons of happiness. Players don't have that luxury. Keep what you need, burn the rest.

Autocracy is great for this scenario if you can get to Police State, but it's buried in the tree and you're not generating much culture. Currently, there ain't much for that except to build culture buildings, wodners, and pick sopols that boost culture.

Can always just raze some cities if you need to, right? The AI can spam garbage cities because it has tons of happiness. Players don't have that luxury. Keep what you need, burn the rest.

Hey guys,

I'm playing right now as england and on Prince *Normal* level.

If Persia is still in the game Darius may pay a king's ransom to have even the most pathetic cities back. I did this to him before, he settled an oppressive Susa, and embargo'd me hard despite positive diplo and a "Hi, free XP" war with Japan, so I looted it. But I really wanted resources in his unreachable capital before Oda annihilated the fool, so I grabbed luxuries and nice pocket money by handing him Susa back.

I saw on another thread that I should by be buying and building culture and happiness buildings, problem is, all my cities are puppeted!

Should I annex them and build the buildings?

My GPT is at 210

AI builds a lot of "junk" cities; instead of automaticly puppeting them all you should have considered if it's a worth while city site (does it have a luxury / resource / natural wonder that's not already within range of 3 hexes of another city), and if not raze to the ground.

It does indeed sound like you should annex some cities (that have come out of resistance) and cash rush happiness structures. Note that you'll also need to build or buy court houses in those cities.

Top Bottom