OSG1 - Team One - Da n00bz

Nice round, Jabah. Allow me to offer some commentary.

The transport relay is good work. That will put colonists on Imra one turn sooner.

"MM Ursa to keep it MAX" is solid but not ideal. Rather, that falls a little bit short of ideal, if the goal is to max per-turn production. The "Max" tag is "out of synch" with reality by one turn. It measures max for the CURRENT population, but does not, cannot factor population changes. Yet next turn's production will be based on NEXT TURN's population, so the ideal performance is to "look ahead" to what the pop will be on the next turn, and have that many factories ready and waiting to be put to use. The Max reading doesn't factor pop growth, or any orders sending transports outgoing or bringing some incoming.

Note that in my comments following Charis's turn, I suggesting ignoring the "Max" reading altogether and pushing way way past it. At one point in my approximation, I showed 84 pop but 190 factories. Those 84 pop could only use 168 factories, but I had sped on to build factories asap. 22 factories sat idle that turn, and I did not see this as a problem. I always had factories ready to go for newly grown or immigated population points.

Let me put this another way. If it doesn't say Max at ALL times in the Industrial slider, then your current factory count is short of ideal and at least some population are unemployed. You are missing out on at least a small amount of production that your population could have supported. Instead you want it to say Max even when you would be building a single factory, because that means you are CURRENTLY at max. That make sense? Anybody not following this point?

Some facts to consider:

* There is no cost for idle factories. No waste, no maintenance.
* There is no reason to avoid building idle factories.
* There is a reason to avoid even minimal unemployment, if you can avoid that.
* If you use the changeover in the industrial slider from numbers to "Max" reading, you are targeting next year's factory total to this year's population. If you could target instead to next year's population, THEN you're at ideal performance.
* You will have to build the factories eventually. Why go through the micromanagement work of matching ideal ratio of factories to population? Max out the factories -- it costs you nothing -- then shift to other tasks. NO PRODUCTION GETS WASTED. You simply get the factory part out of the way up front and delay the expenditure of a few BC into whatever else you would be doing. If those few BC are not decisive (in a few cases they might be) then they won't really be missed, only delayed at no real penalty, so save yourself a bunch of makework that won't gain you anything.

See? Even when it comes to the micromanagement aspects, this game is a masterpiece. There's plenty of micro available for efficiency nuts, but a lot of it REALLY DOES NOT MAKE AN ACTUAL DIFFERENCE when you look closely, so learning when to bother and when not to bother can save you time and energy and let you remain focused on the strategics, not the minutiae.

The homeworld is a bit of a unique case. It gets such a massive head start on factory construction compared to all other colonies, that it may warrant bringing some colonists home at the tail end of its ripening to speed the arrival at max output. That is because there are a bunch of unemployed on the second colony, who can be put to better use. For all other colonies, this won't be the case on most maps. New colonies will be founded fairly close together and will "grow up together", in a way that doesn't lend to shuffling population around in search of significant benefits.

Jabah did bring colonists home from Gion, and he did not miss out on much production, so he did a very fine job. Maybe 70-80 total gross BC missed and after cleanup costs, 40-45 net BC not earned. Figure 4 BC gross lost for each pop who went unemployed for one turn (each employed factory put outs 2 BC, times two for each pop point). Each newly grown pop point, or each arriving immigrant, only went one turn without jobs, because Jabah would build factories for them after that one turn. So... overall, like I said, only about 40 BC net that was missed. That won't even make one turn's difference on a colony ship, and we're not talking about spending that is applied to a key point in a planet's growth curve, so no "penalties and interest".

My spending 9BC to check the three tech fields cost us MUCH more than this, to give you a comparison.

Now the homeworld is fully ramped up and potential choices for our civ have hit that critical point where strategy will decide our fate, where the choices leave the realm of "no brainer" and enter into greater complexity. I find myself hoping that Team Two scored a high quality tech out of the artifacts world, so that our results will be more closely comparable, but that's out of our hands.

We've had no word yet about AI scouts showing up at planets to the southwest. We know that the Sakkra are not a threat to those systems. In that case, if I were Up Now, I would follow the pink chain and grab everything there without prioritizing any research. That would form our back line core and open additional scouting to the south, where either there are virgin lands, or a neighbor. In either case, expanding our prospects.

We could let Gion ramp up to 80-100 factories, enough to keep 40-50 pop full employed while we KEEP that colony around that level and use it to do research at full rate and use its pop growth to feed a steady stream of people to other colonies. And to that end, I would ignore Charis's most excellent insights into "maxing empire wide growth rates" and keep Gion right AT 50% full, because Gion has a 5+ parsec distance to everything to the south, and the key element to supplying the most troops to the most number of new colonies is the SOURCE RATE, RIGHT NOW, not the total growth rate, which is harmed significantly by having too many transports in flight from Gion to colonies. The bird in the hand of colonists at Gion NOW beats the two in the bush of sending too many from Gion up front and having them not growing while in transit. Especially when Gion is also in good position to feed colonies on the white path.

Now as for research, when Jabah HALTED research, the portion that Charis had already invested began to decay. Research points are LOST if research is completely halted in any given field. We did not have many invested, so this may even have been the right choice to make, but it would NOT have been wise if a heavy investment had been made. We could be losing dozens of RP to decay, and later in the game could lose hundreds or even thousands of RP if any such research halt is ordered. Even a minimal trickle prevents decay.

MOO1 rewards steady research efforts over erratic and dramatic micromanagement shifts. Not only is there a decay factor for halting research. There is also a bonus factor for steady research, which ramps up as a steady amount of BC are invested into each field. That's why Zed recommends choosing the ratio you want for emphasizing fields and "leaving well enough alone" once you do. I tend to do a little bit more active tech management, but even that is with only about 40% of the research budget, keeping a steady 10% (x6) into each field as a minimum baseline, so I'm always gaining the max bonus for steadiness on at least 60% of my research effort. The other 40%, if concentrated into one field, would see a single field getting as much as half of all my current research investment, and it too will enjoy some steadiness bonus if I'm not flinging it around too often.

I still recommend a 50-50 split on researching Barren and Range 4 simultaneously (they cost about the same) followed by a 50-50 split on both cleanup techs (which, again, cost about the same). That seems like a clear winner to me on research strategy. The strategic choice was not so much how much to emphasize this research field over that one, but instead whether or not to keep homeworld ONLY on shipbuilding, to follow the pink line ASAP, or to put more to tech sliders up front and learn the techs to open the white and orange paths to settle those BEFORE the pink path worlds. Well, the scouting on Charis's turn answers these questions. There's an artifacts planet on the pink path, and ALL planets on that path are nonhostile. Everything on the orange path is lost to us because of hostile environments and Sakkra presence. No major threat has emerged to the white path, so let's take the path of least resistance (literally) and go pink first.

That would be my analysis. Players who are up need not follow these suggestions. Other choices are available.

- Sirian

Originally posted by Sirian

"MM Ursa to keep it MAX" is solid but not ideal. Rather, that falls a little bit short of ideal, if the goal is to max per-turn production. The "Max" tag is "out of synch" with reality by one turn. It measures max for the CURRENT population, but does not, cannot factor population changes. Yet next turn's production will be based on NEXT TURN's population, so the ideal performance is to "look ahead" to what the pop will be on the next turn, and have that many factories ready and waiting to be put to use. The Max reading doesn't factor pop growth, or any orders sending transports outgoing or bringing some incoming.

I knew the MAX was based on the current population, but since Ursa was growing only 1 or 2 pop at this time and had a strong production (with 1 more click building like 3-4 factory? can't remember), I though MAX would be 'enough' and was hoping to be able to get the colony 1 turn sooner. Of course, the 'good' solution is to look at the planet and count (except that after MAX you have to estimate the number of factory that would be built with each extra 'click')

The 'only' turn where it might have been quite sub-optimal was when the transport arrived.

But it leads to another question : are new colonists (from transport or normal growth) taken into account before production - in that case you need to have the factories for them - or after production - in that case it does matter-

Since you can spend production in the eco slider to hurry growth, it would be more logical that growth happens after production, no (or you have 2 different growths, normal before and special after) ?

We could let Gion ramp up to 80-100 factories, enough to keep 40-50 pop full employed while we KEEP that colony around that level and use it to do research at full rate and use its pop growth to feed a steady stream of people to other colonies.

AFAIR Gion is already at that point, if you look at the last picture (3t ago), Gion was at 64/80 pop minus the 20 going to Ursa and able to reach MAX in production (so around 90 factories)

Now as for research, when Jabah HALTED research, the portion that Charis had already invested began to decay. Research points are LOST if research is completely halted in any given field. We did not have many invested, so this may even have been the right choice to make, but it would NOT have been wise if a heavy investment had been made. We could be losing dozens of RP to decay, and later in the game could lose hundreds or even thousands of RP if any such research halt is ordered. Even a minimal trickle prevents decay.

That, I didn't know. How fast are RP dying ?
When I got the save, there was almost no light on the research lightbulb so I hope we did lose too much :cry:

Jabah

and BTW, thks for the commentaries, that is the all (well almost) point of this SG.

Disclaimer I played most of my turns, and had typed most of this report, last night. So when I saw Sirian's post this morning, I was a little concerned that I had missed out on important instructions, but after reading it I was reassured that most of my moves fell in synch with his recommendations. Those that didn't, will provide more 'teaching opportunities.' ;)

The first decision I looked at is which exploration path we are going to pursue, as that will guide me in prioritizing tech investment as well as build decisions. From Sirian's earlier 'dotmap', we had three primary courses of action:

Route A) Use the Pink Arrows to colonize the planets we can reach with range 3 tech in sequence. We have already begun this process, and at the current rate of one ship/4 turns, should be able to complete in 15 turns (Gorra's colony will complete next turn, so Argus at T+5, and Gienah at T+9, plus 6 turns travel time, means we can settle Gienah (artifact planet) in 15 turns. (Actually I thought it would take at least two turns longer than that, as the last colony ship won't be able to launch until Argus is founded, but I found a solution to that problem ;) ).

Route B) Follow the Yellow arrows, utilizing Range 4, to "hopscotch" a couple planets and settle the Artifact planet quicker. Of course, we don't have range 4 yet, and would have to complete research in less than 10 turns to reach the artifact planet any sooner than choice A, which is no sure thing. While it was a valid strategy, at this point we are already far enough along Route A that we have passed the point of it having significant advantages.

Route C) Follow the White arrows, by learning Controlled Barren. Once the barren planet (Trax) which then opens up the arid ultra-poor and the jungle, as well as potentially another coreward system. Again, we don't yet have the required tech.

I think Route C is key for our long-term prospects, but I also want to get that Artifact world up and running ASAP, so I am going to pursue Route A, while letting Gion focus on Barren research. This should open up Route C about the time our Colony ship is on it's way to our Artifact world, so Ursa can continue building colony ships. I know this delays Range 4 research, although I will invest a minimal amount to avoid the research already spent being 'shelved', but Range 4 doesn't open any planets that we aren't already on track to reach at this point.

A related decision is how to manage the Research/Factory production at Gion. My first inclination was to put enough into factory construction to build enough new factories to keep pace with pop growth, and devote the rest to research. It is currently at 48 pop/93 factory, growth of 2 last turn. So after building 7 factories this turn, I should be able to put (4x8)=32BC/turn into factories, adding enough to employ the 2 new pop/turn, and add the rest to research. However, I expect that Gion will continue to be our source of "seed corn" (to borrow a phrase), sending batches of pop to our new colonies as they are founded, since I don't want to reduce Ursa's pop now that it is maxed. That means that every 5-6 turns, Gion will grow up to ~60, then drop back to ~40 after shipping out another batch, and any new factories (as well as some existing) will go idle. Therefore, I am going to put all of Gion's net income into research to speed along Barren until we have another pop-farm established among our 'southern' planets (probably the poor ocean world).

Kind of a long explanation, when I haven't even hit Next Turn yet! But especially for this SG, I want to get some feedback on the decision-making process, as all my prior MOO gaming was in 'isolation.' ;)

OK, pre-turn MM'ing. Ursa is maxed on factories, and has a little excess in Eco, for a growth, even though it is also at max pop. I know after the transfers take place, it will have a net loss of 5, but I don't know if that is before or after the natural growth is calculated, so it may go to waste. Also, at a net income of 144, it can (just) complete a colony ship every 4 turns, so whatever production is lost next turn with the pop shuffle, may cost us an extra turn. So, I put all our income into ship-building, which will leave an excess of 45BC in the "shipyard account" to smooth over any bumps and make sure we stay on the 4-turn pace. At Gion, I pull the factory spending into research as I mentioned, which gives us a total of 67RPs. I allocate them 90% planetology, 10% propulsion, just to keep the interest accruing there. I also redirect a scout, as we had 2 scouts headed to the same planet, shifting the extra to Gienah, so it can push south when Gorra is founded.

2331 (1): Colony ship completes, which I send to Gorra. Ursa can still complete the colony ship in 4, but just barely, even one tick away changes it to 5, even with the extra 45BC. There is also one waste at Ursa, probably from the population shuffle reducing eco spending slightly, but it will clean itself without additional clicks.

2332 (2): Nothing special.

2333 (3): Nothing special.

2334 (4): Scout chases off a Silicoid Colony ship at the blue star to the SE, and it's a good thing, too:

Primodius is a Rich Radiated 25. Any other race wouldn't be as critical, but since the Silicoids can settle any environment, a rich colony here would have been a strong base on our borders. We definitely want to blockade this one as long as possible. Our other scout brings us less promising news, as Xudax turns out to be an Ultra-poor jungle world, athough a max pop of 90 would make it a good pop-farm, or for us Bulrathi, a marine-farm! :hammer: I also start a pop-transfer of 19 from Gion to Ursa, which can then ‘forward’ a like amount to Gorra after it is founded.

IBT: We establish our colony on Gorra, and another Colony ship completes, ready to head to Argus.

2335 (5): As research on Barren is now showing a 21% chance to complete, I back off the slider, and start to invest more into Propulsion (Range 4) and restart research on Construction (Reduced Waste 80). I will leave it to the next leader to open any new fields, but if we can get the waste reduction techs, that will make a big boost to our net production. The new colony does not open any new systems for scouting, but Argus should. Colony ship is sent, will arrive in 6. I have figured out how to avoid the 2-turn delay when the next colony ship, which will complete in 4, would have to wait for Argus to be settled before Gienah is in range. By setting Ursa to Relocate ships to Imra, I can use the ‘free’ turn of movement and arrive at Imra 2 turns after the Colony ship is completed, just as Argus is founded, and then make the 4-turn trip to Gienah.

2336 (6): Send 19 pop from Ursa to Gorra, to be replaced next turn by the arriving transports from Gion. Fine-tune research a little more, balancing between the three techs.

IBT: We have mastered the ability to control a Barren Environment:

I chose Improved Eco restoration next, our only other choice was Tundra environment, and I think the consensus was we wouldn’t be able to contend for the Tundra world so close to Sakkra space.

2337 (7): Check the tech screen, but leave the sliders alone for now. Range 4 is at 10%, once it comes in I will focus on the two waste techs. I indulge in a bit of ship design, since the Barren tech has the useful side effect of reducing the cost (and size) of a standard colony base. By redesigning a new Colony ship (named, originally enough, Colony 1), the cost is only 525, rather than 570, so I swap Ursa over, saving 45BC. I also design our Barren Colony ship, which we will be building next, and it will cost 595, so the 45 we save (which I continue pouring into shipbuilding) should be enough to ensure we can still complete it in 4 turns after the current one completes. It’s not often I would have the luxury of using 3 design slots for colony ships, but for now, if it shaves a turn off the barren colony ship, it’s worth it.

BTW, my naming convention is pretty simple, I pick a name based on function (Colony, Scout, Missile, Gunboat, etc,) then add a number for the warp speed, and a letter for special features (as in B=Barren, X=eXtended Range, etc). I’m sure most players have, or will develop their own system, I just like to have the speed in the name so when I am selecting fleets to move, I don’t accidentally slow the fleet down by including an older ship. We should probably agree to a standard naming convention for this SG, however, as it could get confusing with different players using different abbreviations, etc.

(Continued)

(Continued)

As the Range 4 tech is getting closer, I also decide to squeeze out a couple more Scouts from Imra, which reduces it’s factory buildup by a turn, but we don’t have enough scouts to reach the systems that will open up and continue to blockade those we are already orbiting.

IBT: 2 Scout 2s complete, and the Colony ship, which gets it’s head start toward Imra.

2338 (8): It looks like I made a mistake in shuffling scouts around, as Trax, our barren gateway, doesn’t have a scout in place, and I see a pair of Sakkra scouts headed that way. I slip a scout into production at Gion, and send the scout there to Trax, which should arrive the same time as the Sakkra.

IBT: We discover Hydrogen Fuel Cells (range 4). Our only choice is Inertial Stabilizer, a good tech. Scout 2 completes at Gion.

2339 (9): It looks like my scout will tie the Sakkra scouts to Trax, but a Silicoid scout that wasn’t visible last turn is only one turn out, and will beat me to it. Send scouts out to planets we can now reach. Gion is over 50 pop again, and I don’t think we will be using it for pop transfers as much in the future, so it is probably time to think about getting the rest of the factories built. I think Imra can send pop to boost our new colony on Argus when it completes, and then Gienah in turn, so the southern planets can take care of themselves. I would think Gion would send some pop to Trax when it is settled, but as a 40-max, that’s only about a dozen, and Gion will grow that many before Trax is even settled. But I don’t want to pull the plug on research, so I compromise, setting Gion to build 4 factories/turn, matching it’s current growth of 2/turn (still leaving some workers idle, as it was only at 93 factories to start) but keeping 35+ going into research so we continue to get our “interest” on our research investments.

IBT: We run into the Alkari for the first time, but there’s no bluffing our way through this fight:

This is at Jinga, the Jungle planet to the SW of Trax, and here is the result:

2340 (10): I redirected our retreating scout to a closer star, but otherwise haven’t given any new orders to scouts. Several should be arriving at new planets in the next couple turns. Argus will be settled next turn, and then the colony ship which will arrive at Imra can be sent to Gienah, the Artifact world. We will also have a Colony 1B (barren) complete in 2 more turns, to settle Trax and open up at least one more planet, although the Alkari took the second. The Silicoid scout did beat us to Trax, so they have scanned it, but our scout will arrive next turn, and can chase it off, as well as the 2 Sakkra and one Alkari scout also headed to it!

The next leader should check the scouts, there are a lot of them in motion, and I hope I didn’t leave any other planets out in the game of musical scouts. We could use 3-4 more scouts, or some cheap fighters, for blockade duty, but we don’t really have a good planet to build them from.

Next leader should also look at Gion, and decide whether to go for max factories, max research, or continue to compromise as I did. :rolleyes: I wouldn’t want to shut research off, or reduce it much below where it is now, but that’s up to the next leader. Once Gion is built up to the point where we can increase research, we need to open up the other categories, but for now my focus was on the two waste reduction techs, which will save us a lot of BC in the long run, and just minimal (10%) research into propulsion.

Fend off the Poachers!

Did I really send two scouts to the same planet ? ooops. I remember trying and changing direction a lot to 'cover' every 'risky' systems, but thought I finally found a good solution, obviously I forgot to double check :crazyeye:

Did redesigning the same ship really change its price (well I knew for the 1st turn thing), I thought the prices were automatically adjusted after discoveries.

I agree with the ship convention, obviously Sirian does as well (according to his reports) except for the funny 'Scout 2' :lol:

Jabah

Good work, Justus! Some fine moves in there. I especially liked the research handling, the analysis about the Silicoids, and the strategic planning to open your turn. Upgrading our colony ship design was also great. Retire the old line when the last of its ships are used.

I spelled out my colony ship naming convention in my tutorial. Any who have not read it will have missed it. The reason I don't mark warp one ships with the number 1 is that it may confuse with the I for Inferno. If there's no number on my design, it's a warp one. I put a number for all higher speeds. I preface ships with LR if they have long range (extended tanks). The rest equates to what Justus described.

My advice to the team from this point is to buckle down at Trax and try to make that our strong point on the white-orange line. We will not defeat that Alkari force in space and should not try. The Alkari are especially tough foes to tackle in early-game brush wars, at least as far as trying to blockade them. Instead, cede the ultra poor planet to them KNOWING they cannot stand up significant defense bases there. Let them build some factories, and down the line we invade and try to grab techs. Boots on the ground. Knock some heads. Etc etc. :lol:

We probably can seize the tundra planet, and should try, but not at the expense (in my opinion) of slowing down to do so. Keep grabbing what we can, keep working on waste techs, and then open up the other three tech fields some time soon and see what is on deck. Preferably, not spending more than 3 or 4 RP into each unopened field. The initial investment is wasted. We could open the other fields at any point, then stop research to them immediately if we aren't ready to dedicate investment to them.

The rate of decay for invested RP if research is halted is fairly steep. I don't remember the exact value. Maybe it's 20%, maybe 10%, maybe less, maybe variable. It's definitely significant and proportional. Since we had little invested, little was lost, so don't sweat it this time.

Team One - Da n00bz - ROSTER

Sirian
Charis
Jabah
Justus II
Isit <<<<< UP NOW
Garath <<< On Deck

- Sirian

EDIT: Sorry to be confusing about the Scout 2's, Jabah. If I design a scout with a warp two or warp three engine, I call it "Fast Scout". "Scout 2" is laziness in motion. Since I have to do that every game, I don't bother to say "Cheap Scout" or "Scout 1A". It doesn't really matter, as long as the ship name differentiates from the default "Scout". That is also why I call them "Colony" instead of "Colony Ship". If other folks open a game -- SG, or a tourney game -- and name the redesigned scout something else, that's fine. After a decade of "Scout 2", though, my brain is hardwired, the neural paths burned through, and thus I'll be calling them Scout 2's from here to eternity. Sorry 'bout that, Chief. :lol:

@Jabah,
Don't worry about the scouts, I know I had recovered all planets earlier in my turn, but when I started shuffling forward again in anticipation of Range 4 tech, I must have reassigned the scout for Trax.

As for the ship design, yes I did have to redesign it. I thought I had read somewhere that prices were automatically adjusted as well, but not the case here. You can see from the Fleet Screenshot that the Colony ship we had been building was still at 570BC, the new Colony 1 ship (with no other changes) was only 525BC, and finally the Barren at 595BC.

Prices do automatically adjust in many cases. You'll see plenty of evidence of that in coming days. I even showed an example in my tutorial where a colony ship price dropped. There may be an exception to the rule, or a bug, or some other factor I don't know about or have forgotten.

Perhaps the price drops on colony bases work differently. Price drops on colony ship designs that happen automatically may be due to price drops on the propulsion systems, armor, and structure, too. Could be that colony base prices are not automatically adapted, for reasons unknown.

You definitely did well to go with the new, cheaper design once the new tech had come in. No doubt about that. :)

- Sirian

Prices do automatically adjust in many cases. You'll see plenty of evidence of that in coming days. I even showed an example in my tutorial where a colony ship price dropped. There may be an exception to the rule, or a bug, or some other factor I don't know about or have forgotten.

Perhaps the price drops on colony bases work differently. Price drops on colony ship designs that happen automatically may be due to price drops on the propulsion systems, armor, and structure, too. Could be that colony base prices are not automatically adapted, for reasons unknown.

I was actually wondering along the same lines, as I *knew* price drops normally took effect automatically, but when it didn't, I did the redesign. Because the only new tech we had would affect the colony base, I started to think that might be the culprit, that although discounts for 'normal' systems (propulsion/conststruction/etc) would update automatically, maybe specials didn't. I will have to test it when I have some time.

Things are going pretty good. One colony will be started on the next turn with the 2nd soon to follow. We can grab the barren world when our new colony ship design finishes. I agree that we won’t be able to take or hold the other habitable worlds to our south. I might take a shot at them if they were normal but since both are ultra poor it’s not worth the risk. My general plan is to finish colonizing what we can and then build up our colonies and start research.

2340: My general strategy with colony development is to not build anything but factories until a colony is maxed. Only in very rare instances will I change this. While there are some gains to be made by micro managing they are rarely worth the effort. I switch Gion back to building factories, leaving one click in the research slider so we don’t lose any points. Nothing on our current research list is very import and at only 38 points a turn we wont get anything very fast. Much better in my mind to let our second colony build up to it’s full potential before we start doing anything with it.

After making that one change I hit end turn.

2341: We found our new colony, Argus. We have three combats between turns, two with the Sakka and one with the birdbrains. We uncover a poor terran to our northeast but have to chase off a Sakka scout. I transfer 20 colonists to Argus from our homeworld since it is the only planet in range with the population to spare. I could transfer from Imra I suppose but that is a front line world and I want it developed as quickly as possible.

Speaking of Imra, our colony ship has arrived so I send it on to the artifact world below Argus. We also have a scout parked on top of an Alkari colony. No sense straining relations so I move it onward to scout deeper into their territory.

There is nothing else to do so I hit end turn.

2342: Our scouts find a couple of more Silicoid colonies. I pull them back once they finish scouting.

2343: A couple of Silicoid colony ships meet up with our scouts. We drive them off for now but they wont hold for long. As soon as we grab everything we can with our current tech I will pull them back and avoid any further diplomatic loss, not that it will make much difference with a typical Silicoid ruler. Nothing else going on so we end the turn.

2344: We find the Sakka homeworld in the middle of a nebula. That might be a lucky break for us when it comes to war since they cant use planetary shields in a nebula. Of course that makes it just as hard for us to hold but it would be ideal for an early game tech raid.

Our barren colony ship finishes and I send it off to colonize the barren world. There is a terran along the east edge of the map that will be in range when we settle the artifact world. It’s quite a ways away but given our meek array of worlds and the Silicoids nearby I decide to make a shot for it. I put together a basic destroyer design with two heavy lasers and level 1 battle computer. I will produce about 4 of them and then send them down to hold the terran while our colony ship arrives. I relocate to Argus so that these ships will get a free first move.

Given that we are the Bulrathi it’s likely that we can hold it even if the Silicoid want it. Early boarder wars usually end up in ground combat rather then a bombed colony, an area at which we excel. I end the turn.

2345: It seems I misjudged on the terran world. Even after settling our new colony it is still 5 parsecs away even though it looks like 4 to me. At any rate I cut production of combat ships and switch our homeworld to research. I put a click into our unstated fields so that they will open up next turn. I send 15 colonists from our homeworld to the artifact world, Gienah.

2346: Our tech trees come up. I go for jammer 1 with computers as the only other option is deep space scanner, which is not worthwhile at this point. I pick class two shields and gatling laser for force fields and weapons respectively as they are our only choices.

Time to look at the map again. We have one tundra planet in range that we might grab if we can beat the Sakka to the tech. We have a poor jungle up north that we can grab as soon as we get range 6 tech. Both of these are worth perusing so I split the bulk of our research efforts to propulsion and planetology.

2347: We settle the barren world, Trax and meet the Alkali. Our 2nd colony also maxes on factories and switches over to research, which is where we want it. Looking at the map, the Alkali Empire extends vertically from the west, with only one colony close to ours. Looking at the races screen, the Alkali are xenophobic expansionists. They are also currently allied with the Sakka.

Xenophobic means that our diplomatic actions will have half the effect they normally would. It will be hard to establish trade. Expansionist means that they will focus on propulsion tech and founding new colonies. While not highly aggressive like the ruthless or aggressive types they will get into conflict easily during their land grab. They will probably end up at war with almost everyone else in the galaxy by the midgame. Peace will be hard if not impossible to maintain long term. I hate xenophobic races.

A couple of long-term strategy notes here. The AIs form alliances easy during the starting game. They do this without regard to personality types. Because of this its possible for the Alkali to ally with many races for early expansion and then declare war on us and bring their allies along for the ride. This can be really harmful in the early game and can cost the election later. I would keep a careful eye on their report in the races screen. If they hang onto any alliances past the very early game it might make sense to try to get the other races to break them.

On the flip side it is not unusual to have xenophobic races end up at war with half the galaxy. Because of this they make excellent targets for early conquest since when we attack them we will gain relations with anyone they are at war with. I have won elections in the early game due to this easy relations boost.

Back to the game, I transfer 10 colonists from Gion to Trax. I open up channels with the Alkari and get them to agree to 25BC of trade a turn. They wont agree to anything higher ATM and after working my way down the trade option they withdrawal their ambassador. I hate xenophobic races.

2348: End turn.

2349: End turn.

2350: Game saved. We currently control 7 colonies. Not a bad start but not great either. I have grabbed everything in range. A few more colonies will open up at range 5 and 6 and at the discovery of the control of barren planets. The Alkali have brought back their ambassador so the next leader might want to bug them about more trade. Don’t be surprised if it’s many turns before they accept though.

The final map:

The game:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/osg1_tem1_2350.zip

Good luck to the next leader!

P.S. Sorry about the small images. I will resize them for my next turn.

We're moving along nicely. Thanks, Isit. Garath, you're up. :)

A few comments...

* Range 6 tech is not in our tree. Unless we acquire range 5/6 from another race, somehow, we will not see a range extension until range 7 or even 8.

* Learning Industrial Tech 8 for free from the artifacts world is a major boost. Having learned Range 4 and Barren, we may be approaching the point at which we can fit a reserve fuel tank onto a large colony ship. If we're not there now, we may be after researching Improved Eco Restoration. We should definitely be there no later than after learning Reduced Waste 80, Tundra, and Inertial Stabilizer. Players should keep an eye on this. As soon as we can build LR Colony ships, we should do so. Grab at least one planet to the north along the red path and also make that jump to the terran planet to the south, perhaps more.

* Gatling Laser as the only early weapon choice is a stinker. Missing out on both the cheap gropo upgrade (Hand Laser) and the cheap missile upgrade (Hyper-V) is not good. Hopefully we'll have some better options in the next tier.

* Pulling back from the established alien colonies was wise. I don't know that I'd pull back from unsettled systems, though. I'm from the school of thought that says "Show me the money." An AI has to go to the trouble to arm its colony ships or bring escort to chase me away. There's less of a diplomatic hit to encounters at neutral stars than there is at AI colonies. Now once an AI has proven it has stepped up its activity and has armed its colony ships or built escorts, I may pull back at other places. No use taking even a minor hit when there's no chance of turning them back, but my ability to predict exactly when they will ramp up to an armed colony expedition is limited. In addition to attitude issues, there are also respect issues involved. The AI's will respect you more, fear you more, treat you more seriously, if you've shown some backbone. That usually pertains more to blockades and brush wars in which you stand your ground.

* Xenophobics don't bother me. All six personality temperaments have pros and cons. Personality helps determine leanings, thresholds, borderline issues, but the interests of the civ trump personality leanings. That is, none of them are designed to be stupid. Even an Erratic whose dice say, "OK, now you declare war on Race X" will not attack willynilly, but try to gather a winning fleet and strike where they have a chance to accomplish something. The AI is half-decent about judging these things. Look at the Klackon and Meklar moves in my Kitten Kaboodle game.

* We still have a lot of factory building to do.

Good luck, Garath.

- Sirian

There are a few things that I change before starting my first turn, though I am reluctant to do so being so new, and Isit is an old hand. Regardless, I go ahead and change them anyway, I'll probably learn more from the comments.

First, Ursa is not at maximum population. I really wouldn't have sent pop from Ursa to stand up a new world, since those people would have been using the factories that only Ursa really has to build colony ships, directly impacting our growth curve. I send back 11 colonists from Imra who do not have factories to use, and which is still in a better part of the growth curve. Speaking of colonies, while I agree that the Ultra Poor on the Alkari border is probably unholdable, I disagree about the one on the Silicoid border, I think we can probably get that, particularly against the Silicoids who always send such wimpy troop numbers early in the game. I rebase the Sentinel ships there, and start building a colony ship at Ursa, 5 turns since it's not on max pop. Relocating via Imra to gain a turn.

On the tech front, Inertial Stabilisers aren't that much use yet, and I only leave one tick in the Force Fields slider, since we really want those cleanup techs. Oh, and by the time the game got here, those two colony ship designs both had the same price, anyway. Clearly the reduction did cut in, just a bit late. Or something like that, anyway.

Right. Next turn.

2351: chase away another Silicoid colony ship from the radiated Rich planet, Primodius, and spot one of their scout heading into our territory. Shouldn't matter though. I doubt I'm going to get any armed ships to Primodius in time to stop them when they come back though.

2352: Nada.

2353: scout the world below the Terran on the east edge, it is Desert 50. then have to send the scout back to the Terran to repel the Silicoid scout, since it seems to be headed there. I've already got another one headed over to take its place, though. Transports get to Ursa, dropping time for the colony ship to 1 turn from 2. Checking ranges with my scout, both those planets are still at range 5 from the Ultra Poor, annoyingly. starting to look like range 6 would be rather handy, since we don't have 5 in our tree. I'll set some research back to propulsion after we finish the cleanup techs.

2354: colony ship finished. we're going to need more ships to hold the Silicoids off some of these worlds, but I think that 6 standard lasers are rather more use at this stage than 2 heavy lasers, so I design a new ship to those specifications, since there are still design spaces. Still relocating the Imra, since they're going to be needed in the south.

2355: Improved Eco Restoration comes in. Controlled Tundra is our only option, so I pick it. It might well be useful, but even so I set some of the research back to Propulsion from Planetology to try to get some range in later.

2356: Reduced Industrial Waste 80% -> Duralloy Armour, to further accentuate our Bulrathi edge. Not a real research priority, however. Colony ship sent onward from Imra, and the Sentinels have now arrived at the UPoor planet, so we should get it. Imra also maxes factories, and stays on research to get things moving a little faster. Up the trade route with the Alkari to 100bc/year, and the report shows them allied with only the Psilons now. Still no wars, though. Realise I can't yet send ships to the Radiated Rich yet either, without range 5, so I'm pretty sure that one's going to fall. I'll send a few more ships down to Xudax, and then I suspect I should get a small force at Trax to deal with the Alkaris when they come. A couple of deterrent ships out at the Tundra world would probably be good too.

2357: Not much

2358: ECM JammerI comes in, switch to Robotic Controls III since we have factory cost 8, and most of the colonies are getting there on factories now.

2359: Nada again

2360: Nothing again. The Alkari are now allied with the Silicoids, which is not one we want to persist, but it probably won't. Game Saved. Game exported to PC format. And even uploaded, all of which seem to work.

The file is at:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/osg1_bears_2360.zip

Hopefully I didn't make *too* many mistakes.

Garath

Final comments after having seen Sirian's post, after I played my turns I'm afraid:

I didn't think of designing LR Colonies, I thought you couldn't do that until rather later in the tree. We probably have plenty of combat ships to cover current needs, though, so you can get right on it. Pinching the two habitables on the east edge before the Silicoids get there would be a nice boost. A fairly large chunk of that factory building you mentioned has been done, though. :)

OK then. Guess you're Up, Sirian.

Xenophobics don't bother me. All six personality temperaments have pros and cons. Personality helps determine leanings, thresholds, borderline issues, but the interests of the civ trump personality leanings. That is, none of them are designed to be stupid. Even an Erratic whose dice say, "OK, now you declare war on Race X" will not attack willynilly, but try to gather a winning fleet and strike where they have a chance to accomplish something. The AI is half-decent about judging these things. Look at the Klackon and Meklar moves in my Kitten Kaboodle game.

That’s a very true assessment of the way the AI works. The problem I have is not with the fact that the AI attacks but with the early game alliances it makes. Often an erratic or xenophobic race will be allied with half the galaxy when they attack you, which is one aspect of the game that I dislike.

The way I typically deal with this is to either get the race to attack someone else first or to make sure they have no allies when they do decide to attack. To aid in this I usually try to get strong relations built up quickly with everyone I can. That’s why I pulled our scouts back. In my mind it’s more important to be able to survive a war when it comes then make it less likely to come by blockading stars and making the AI respect us.

I suspect that my midgame focus differs from yours in my emphasis on diplomacy. I rarely end up in many wars and I typically build a lot few missile bases then you do. (At least judging from your reported games) I almost always go to war at some point but it’s usually with an erratic or xenophobic race that has a lot of enemies.

First, Ursa is not at maximum population. I really wouldn't have sent pop from Ursa to stand up a new world, since those people would have been using the factories that only Ursa really has to build colony ships, directly impacting our growth curve. I send back 11 colonists from Imra who do not have factories to use, and which is still in a better part of the growth curve. Speaking of colonies, while I agree that the Ultra Poor on the Alkari border is probably unholdable, I disagree about the one on the Silicoid border, I think we can probably get that, particularly against the Silicoids who always send such wimpy troop numbers early in the game. I rebase the Sentinel ships there, and start building a colony ship at Ursa, 5 turns since it's not on max pop. Relocating via Imra to gain a turn.

The first batch of colonists I sent out from Ursa was during a colony ship build but it was late in the build and so they didn’t effect the time it took to get the ship out. After that I was done building colony ships and the 30 point decrease in research from sending the second batch out was minor.

I had two reasons for not sending colonists from Irma:

1. Irma is a front line colony and I wanted to stand it up ASAP. While colonists don’t add a whole lot to production they do add up to maybe one less turn of factory building over the course of standing up the colony. They also act as guards in case the AI sends an early attack. Of course that isn’t as much of an issue with the Bulrathi as someone else.

2. I don’t really play MOO as a micromanagement game. I don’t usually worry much about fine-tuning colonist levels to factory levels or transport more then one load of colonists to and from a colony. While there is something to be gained from this micromanagement I believe that it is so close to a wash that it’s not worth the time.

Its defiantly worth know how to micromanage your colonies, especially when you are starting out, but I wanted to point out with my turn that you can skip a good chunk of it and still come out with a win.

In my mind it’s more important to be able to survive a war when it comes then make it less likely to come by blockading stars and making the AI respect us.

Blockading stars definitely does not make wars LESS likely to come. Instead, it gives you a chance to obtain more territory more quickly, possibly at less cost. It is a form of warfare in itself, brush wars: an aggressive gameplan. Avoiding war's not going to happen with Erratic and Ruthless opponents. It's not going to happen if you're playing one of the races whose strength is warfare and you play with a strategy to try to make use of your strength. It's not going to happen if you have a neighbor who has no other direction in which to vent his expansion urges.

I agree with you that the AI "cheats" when it comes to those early alliances, and I can understand why you'd find it annoying. I do too, sometimes. It reminds me that this is an AI, not an intelligent opponent, and that in a few cases, it's playing by different rules. Those early alliances tend to be rather short-lived, though, and the AI is not predisposed to declare war out of the blue (except for erratics). Instead, it targets worlds.

Real alliances, in the middle of the game, are much more likely to bring unwanted war declarations down upon you, from the allies of your enemies. Short-lived early alliances bringing a dogpile onto me is just not a mechanism that has cost me a game, to my recollection. Perhaps that is why I don't attach the same threat level to that issue as you do. You don't attach the same threat level to things I worry about more, and our different strategic priorities may explain the differences in these threat barometers.

Of all the races, I tend to be the most aggressive with the Bulrathi. That's what Zed meant about our different approaches, and seeing how things turn out.

I intended for this to be a mix-it-up kind of game. I've tried to be clear about that at every stage. :) All that rah-rah "mix it up" chatter. Most of our newer players have emphasized curiosity about combat as their primary interest. The economics are a bit less involved and a bit more intuitive. Combat is something that requires experience to understand and learn. Thus, the Bulrathi and the "conquest" as minimum victory. We're going to be doing a lot of fighting, and the more stages at which we do some fighting the better. Get to see different stops along the tech tree in action.

I generally try to make nice with all the AI's as well. Picking fights in which you have no way to make gains is not a bright way to be playing. This SG was never destined to be a "sit back and make nice" kind of adventure, where we emphasize diplomacy. If that wasn't already clear, I'm sorry. I hope that idea does not disappoint you in any way, as I'm glad to have someone who does things differently than I do participating. The others get to see different choices and that may give them a better understanding.

On to Garath... Hi Garath. :) Been way too long since we got to share a game together. Civ3 dropping Mac support at Epic Seven.

I really wouldn't have sent pop from Ursa to stand up a new world, since those people would have been using the factories that only Ursa really has to build colony ships

I probably wouldn't have, either. I'd have tried to send some from elsewhere. If I did decide to send from a maxed out colony, I'd probably spend heavy on Eco to regrow the pop quickly, rather than let a significant number of factories sit idle for a while.

It -is- important to try to stand up new colonies more quickly, though, so I don't argue Isit's objective there. That's a smart thing to be doing, and debatable as to which way to do it.

On the tech front, Inertial Stabilisers aren't that much use yet, and I only leave one tick in the Force Fields slider,

And nothing wrong with that. Except... I have plans. I have had plans for a while now. :satan:

To open my turn, the first move is to increase priority on force field research. We want to be immune on planet surfaces to any popgun fighter swarms the Alkari may bring into the fight. I want those shields. :)

- Sirian

Blockading stars definitely does not make wars LESS likely to come. Instead, it gives you a chance to obtain more territory more quickly, possibly at less cost. It is a form of warfare in itself, brush wars: an aggressive gameplan. Avoiding war's not going to happen with Erratic and Ruthless opponents.

Actually, I have had quite a few games where I have had long-term alliances with erratic and ruthless types. This usually happens in a situation where it come down to a 2 or 3 person alliance vs. everyone else in the galaxy. In fact its fairly common because these races tend to end up at war with the strong races I need to knock out to win the vote. The trick is make them target someone else which is very hard with an aggressive strategy since you typically have at least one or two weak system that you just took.

On the other hand I usually end my expansion early and by the time anyone is out of space to expand into I am well fortified and a much tougher target then the other AI races.

You will see this tendency come out in other things such as how I defend my planets, design ships and go about conquering my neighbors. I am sure that many interesting discussions will evolve from comparing our two strategies, which is after all what a good succession game is all about. :)

I agree with you that the AI "cheats" when it comes to those early alliances, and I can understand why you'd find it annoying. I do too, sometimes. It reminds me that this is an AI, not an intelligent opponent, and that in a few cases, it's playing by different rules. Those early alliances tend to be rather short-lived, though, and the AI is not predisposed to declare war out of the blue (except for erratics). Instead, it targets worlds.

I think you hit it on the head there. I can remember at least four or five recent games where I have lost to that mechanism in my struggle to be consistently successful at higher difficulty levels. I don’t have as much trouble with it now but its still fresh in my mind and thus influences my strategy.

Of course I also favor a little less aggressive strategy then you. I think on the whole I am much more likely to yield some stars early in the game rather then aggressively contest them. Instead I like to hold back, be peaceful and make my move later in the game.

On the other hand, if I do have a general weakness in strategy gaming it is that I am not aggressive enough. I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if I needed to adopt something different to push up to impossible level. We shall see. If nothing else this will be a good opportunity to practice something diffrent.

The Alkari have not expanded to the Ultra Poor world. I'm a bit surprised at that, but believe it or not, my prediction ability is not calibrated to Average difficulty, so I may err more in trying to anticipate AI performance here than I would on higher difficulty, underestimating some things, overestimating others.

The first thing I do is check for LR Colony ships. Yes, we can build those with some room to spare. I design the ship and order up three of them at our core systems. This will slow research markedly, but I still keep between 50 to 100 RP flowing from a combination of trickles.

I assess our defense base situation and find none. That will be rectified. I will make standing up some defenses a priority.

As mentioned in my last post, I increase force field funding so that it surges past other projects. This is because I intend to attack immediately. :eek:

Gorra's a poor world with lots of unemployed. Shipping some off to pound some dirt :hammer: WILL slow this planet's growth, but better here than anywhere else. Conveniently, troops from this system can reach the target planet in ten turns, the exact duration of my SG round, so that I will get to see the action and fight for space superiority on the incoming, if the Alkari have ships in orbit. Good. I confirm the order to send the maximum number.

This is a gambit. I am sending troops "blind". We have a couple of laser frigates (unshielded?) at Trax, and I will build one or two more to send with them. The Alkari had a couple dozen popgun fighters. Those may still be hanging around. If so, even if the small force of ships I intend to send in loses, I'll attrit some of the enemy and most of our transports will make it through.

The risk is, if the Alkari bring forth a larger force than I expect, it is possible they will have enough in orbit to destroy ALL of our incoming transports, in which case the entire attack and all the expenditure and lost productivity will go for naught. That's the risk.

A more prudent course of action would be to build warships and establish space superiority at the system first. But trying to attack this early doesn't lend well to that because it will take SO LONG for the transports to follow through, it might be worse than sending them blind. The Alkari might retaliate with a stronger force and knock our fleet out of orbit, where a surprise attack might have gotten through. Still, it would be safer to send a larger fleet escort, but I've got our core planets working on LR Colony ships instead of building warships, so this really is going to be a gambit move. Whichever way it works out, I promise you it won't be boring! :lol:

After making my initial changes to orders, as listed above, I also decide to allocate all of our 40BC in reserve. I spend a max amount at Trax, 29BC, to double its production this turn. I spend the rest down at the artifacts planet. In both cases, I reduce the eco slider some to reflect the addition. Adding money to a planet usually means a lower percentage of the new total is needed, so you'll waste a couple of ticks if you don't adjust it.

Now I press next turn, then again, and our colony ship arrives at Xudax, the U-poor in the south.

We're first to eight systems. At least the Psilons aren't running away with the game on the other side of the galaxy!

Imagine if we met a race of extraterrestrials (in real life) and this was their first message to us.

Haha! Well, I guess we'll put that theory to the test some day.

Here's a look at the glorious Silicoid empire.

They have seven systems. We didn't beat them to eight by much, did we?

I initiate the maximum trade agreement.

Since I know this will incur an initial monetary cost (loss) this will also siphon a few BC from each planet and most will need another tick in Eco to clean up all the waste. Since I need to go through all our planets now and check for waste, I decide now's a good time to initiate espionage against our Alkari targets.

Siphoning a percentage of our total budget to spend toward spy networks or internal security also messes with the planets, so if I do both these things at one time, a single readjustment round will correct for both planetary income changes at one time.

Like the planetary sliders, the spy sliders have 25 ticks. I add ten to our Alkari spying and press the Espionage button so our spies will attempt to steal research. (Leaving spies on Hide means they only gather information on techs and try to avoid being detected).

The primary down side to spying is getting caught. This can hurt relations, and if spying on friends with whom good relations are important, this could cost you a game. On the other hand, if you are already at war, there is no down side to being caught. (Well, other than your spies being, uh, "interrogated" and the suffering they will experience, but this is brutal kind of game, at times, you see). In empire terms, the only down side to spying while at war is the cost invested into the spy networks. If your returns are worth less than what you spend, well, then you spent unwisely.

Spying involves significant strategic elements.

The cost of the first spy (spy network, but hereafter to be called "spy" because I'm lazy) is related to your computer tech level. The second (having two at the same time) costs DOUBLE what the first costs. The third costs double what the SECOND costs. Thus, the costs ramp up exponentially. Each additional spy supported simultaneous costs more than all the others already active, COMBINED.

Well then... the answer is obvious, right? Spend cheaply. Keep one or maybe two spies active at all times and let them work.

Nope, that's not the answer. Each individual spy network has a fixed maximum capability. In terms of sabotage, it's a few factories per spy per turn that could be blown up, or a small number of missile bases, or a limited number of target population that are incited to revolt. In the case of espionage, each spy has a limited ability to penetrate into the target's research facilities. SPIES CAN COMBINE THEIR EFFECTS. If multiple spies are highly successful on the same turn, the combined effect will have much more impact in the case of sabotage, or be able to penetrate the enemy research network more deeply to steal more highly classified research projects.

Stealing high level techs from high up on the tree is a difficult proposition even for the Darloks. You get what you pay for.

Espionage can be a powerful tool in this game, but there's nothing no-brainer about it. Spying early in the game is a fairly easy proposition as one or two spies can penetrate and gain access to all the available techs, or knock off factories or missile bases to significant effect when one or two missile bases is a big deal, or half a dozen factories lost on a key border world really sets back its growth curve. Later in the game, you've got to spend a lot more if you want that kind of effectiveness.

Spying and GETTING CAUGHT pisses off the target. Sometimes the worst thing you can do is spend a trickle into spying trying to fish around for techs, making miniscule penetrations and ending up at war over a theft of ECM Jammer I or Controlled Barren.

Intense diplomatic strategies that make espionage a significant strategic priority can be effective, but one needs to understand how (when possible) to identify from the available fields just how much penetration has been accomplished on a given successful espionage mission, so that you can get the most valuable tech available.

Zed suggested (somewhere on the RB forum -- I haven't been to the Team Two thread) that a good strategy when aiming for a particular tech is to keep stealing from the same field. That's a good plan, and it will work if the desired tech does not lie beyond your maximum possible penetration level for the amount of spying that you're doing. But that's not the end-all strategy. If you know the tech tree, and you've studied your opponents and the techs they currently know, and you can correctly identify the level of a given penetration, you can know exactly which techs you'll pull in many situations.

(Can you tell I've played the Darloks a time or two? :lol: )

Now here's another key. Successful spies can also combine their chances to frame another race for your activity. If multiple spies are successful on the same turn, and none are caught, you only need one to succeed in the effort to blame another civ, so having more chances to do it improves the ratio at which you manage to frame others. Thus you not only score bigger grabs or inflict more pain when funding multiple spies, you also turn rivals against one another more often.

Remember, though, EACH additional spy costs as much as all the previous ones combined. So it gets really REALLY pricey trying to make spying a central strategy. You don't have to be a Darlok to pull it off, though. They just happen to be able to do it a lot better.

Even if you don't make spying your gameplan, though, it will often be worth your time to understand as a tool in your tool chest.

In this game, since I've launched an attack against the Alkari, they make for a good spying target right now. If we get caught, it won't hurt us much because when that attack arrives, that's going to dwarf any upsets they have with us over espionage.

In fact, if the attack succeed and we take the planet, they WILL declare war. If any of the troops run the gauntlet of their orbiting defenses and manage to land, then even if they keep the planet they'll be REALLY UNHAPPY. Only if they have a major fleet parked in orbit and blast all the transports to smithereens will they not care and not react negatively. Then again, I'm going to send attack ships, too, so there will be a fight one way or another. And if you know you're in for a hot war, that's a good time to decide to do some spying.

2364AD: Four turns have passed since the attack was launched. The ETA on our transports is now 6 turns. I expect the planet to be full of Alkari when I arrive (full as in maxed on pop) because the AI doesn't pussyfoot with sending colonists. It ships lots and fills up new colonies quickly.

Even Bulrathi are well short of invincible in ground combat. That's a size 45 planet, and I've got 30 on the way. Would be nice to send more. Well, that's what I do.

When coordinating assaults from multiple source planets, it is often wise to synchronize arrival times. With 6 turns to go on the transport fleet from Gorra, and 6 turn ETA from Ursa to the target, now's the time to launch from Ursa. I send 18m. Then I max spending to the eco slider to replace these faster.

Ursa has about 158 BC net, and at 20 BC per million colonists grown with eco spending, you can see it adds up to +8m. Pricey, but if the attack succeeds, we will have taken a planet. How much cost is it worth to add another planet to our empire? How much is it worth to deprive an enemy of the planet?

This attack could have waited, and perhaps ideally it SHOULD have waited; but for this situation, it should not have waited another 60 years for the game to come back around to me, and I didn't want to push any of our little birdies out of the nest with instructions to attack. "Go fly little birdie". Birdy drops like a stone and goes splat on the ground. Oops. Nope, don't want that, so I'll show all the little birdies a bit about how to flap the wings, launch from the nest, catch a thermal updraft, etc. THEN I'll push the lil bastids out of the nest and tell em to fly. :lol:

And if my gambit fails, I'll have the ignominious glory of instructing you all to "do as I say, not as I do". :p

Papa bird may be so busy looking back to chirp at lil birdies that he doesn't watch where he's going and flies into a tree trunk. :lol:

By the way, I built an LR Colony on the previous turn, then learned I could build only one Laser1 frigate on this turn, so I did that. I have only one to send from here, plus three at Trax to send. Will four frigates be enough? Maybe. Maybe I'll get lucky and find nobody at home and it won't matter.

Now here's a trick. If an important colony ship is just one tick short on the last turn, you can "cut corners" by shorting the Eco slider.

Divert money from waste cleanup to finish the ship that turn. This will get a colony started a whole turn sooner.

IMPORTANT: don't short eco two turns in a row. It will drop the max planet pop value and may kill millions of people. Shorting the waste cleanup is a one-turn-only emergency measure. This is also a useful move when desperately trying to stand up an extra missile base while there are enemy incoming.

Clicking next turn, a scout finds another R system in the south.

That could make it difficult for us to reach those two isolated stars down in the corner.

Our spying efforts reveal the Alkari tech situation.

Note the "Environ" display bug. Usually that is contained to the Planetology panel, but this time it has spilled into the Propulsion section also. I have no idea what causes it, but it shows up almost every game and can be a little confusing. If you know the tech tree or have a reference sheet handy, you can figure out what it's supposed to be saying. In this case, the two buggy displays are Terraforming +10 and Range 5.

All five of the tech they have that are missing from our tree would be really sweet to grab. I decide to continue funding spying at the current level.

Press Next Turn...

Bingo!

OK, let's examine the penetration level. Looking at the previous graphic, we see that the Alkari know techs we don't in planetology, propulsion and weapons. However, we have not penetrated enough on this mission to steal ANY propulsion techs. This reveals the penetration range and allows me to see that in fact this is a rather feeble success. Range 5 is a tech level 5 propulsion advance. We have not penetrated enough to steal tech of that level. Therefore, we have not penetrated enough to steal any techs of that level or higher in any other field, either.

The level of penetration sets the maximum possible tech level that you can grab. You not automatically grab the best available! That is important to know. Instead, the game will identify all techs that are accessible to that mission's degree of penetration, then all techs that you COULD steal in a given field, on that mission, are dumped into a pool and one is grabbed at random.

So suppose there were three construction techs that they knew that we didn't. Suppose one was tech level 3, another tech level 8 and a third tech level 11. If we made a penetration to level 5, and chose construction as the field from which to steal, the only tech that goes into the drawing would be the level 3 tech, and that's 100% chance that we'd steal that one. If our penetration level instead went to level 9, and we chose from this field, we'd have a 50-50 chance of grabbing either the level 3 or the level 8 tech. If we penetrated to level 13, it would be a one-third chance for each.

Now suppose, taking the example above, that we would really like to get the level 11 tech. However, there's a tech in another field at level 12 that we might also want, and it is the ONLY tech in that field that they have that we don't know. If we made a level 13 penetration, we'd have only a one-third chance to grab the higher level construction tech, but a 100% chance to grab that level 12 from the other field.

So how can this be applied to the current situation? Well, if had penetrated enough to be eligible to steal a propulsion tech, we would have no idea how deeply we'd penetrated. We'd only know that it was at least to level 5, because any less and there would be no propulsion options on the table. Instead, we know that we did not reach level 5.

There's only one weapon tech in play, but there are two techs in the planetology field. On THIS MISSION, we have not penetrated enough to have any chance at all to grab Terraforming +20. So our choice is between +10 and Hand Laser. Being Bulrathi, with an attack already in progress, I opt to get the Hand Laser now. The terraforming would be more valuable to pump up our economy, but perhaps the Hand Laser will make the difference in our success on the invasion mission.

Our troops will automatically use the best available, so that means these new Hand Lasers will become available for the invasion. (Don't ask me how they're manufactured onboard our attack fleet prior to the invasion, because I don't know).

Since we are about to engage in hostilities, I am building some bases in our core.

The first to be built will be at Gion. Ursa and Imra are also building bases. Ursa has regrown its 18 pop points in two turns. That includes both natural growth and economic spending, combining to restore the planet to max pop after two turns and about 300BC of investment.

2367AD: We have been nurturing a ripening on weapons tech since my round started. I came in with a low probability to learn Gatling Laser and that has been slowly creeping up. Research spending has been very low this round because I build colony ships at a fast clip, and now building defense bases at a catch-me-up rate. Finally, Gatling Laser is learned, and our choices for the next tier are also quite thin.

I take the Ion cannon. It appears that Ion Rifle ground weapon is also absent from our tree. (I think). So good that we stole the hand laser. In other bad news, Hyper-X missiles are not an option, and Scatter Pack V may also be absent. Ion Cannon is a nice weapon to have if we're going to be in a fight, though. The useful lifespan of lasers (even gatling laser) comes to an end once the enemy deploys Class III deflectors. Ion cannons will retain some ability to damage the enemy far beyond that, and heavy ion cannon can have an even longer run.

My focus on force fields has Class II shields also now ripening.

We are hit with a disaster:

Xudax? That's the U-poor in the south. Lucky break for us, maybe. That system has only a few pop points. I check... Oops, maybe not. Twenty transports have just arrived between turns, concurrent with the Nova event. You know, I'm not sure I've ever seen that before. I know the Nova event scales to the planet's current production (so that you always have a valid opportunity to save the star system) but I don't know if it will use the small population number that was there last turn or the much larger number that was there this turn! We'll find out.

I had nothing in the reserves. (Remember I spent it at the start of the round, to give two of our vital colonies a shot in the arm on their growth curves). If the Nova did not account for the arriving immigrants, then they will pump up production mightily and the Nova event will be solved very quickly. If the Nova factored in the new arrivals, the total cost to solve the problem will be much higher. I set Ursa to pump enough money into reserve to be able to double Xudax production next turn.

Just in case the worst case happens, we don't want to risk losing the system. (If the Nova is not solved, the planet will be destroyed).

Top Bottom