OSG20 - Bearly In Motion

Well, that happens sometimes. Bad luck that the bugs managed to land everybody in their bloc. Even one non-Darlok race abstaining would have kept us in it. Well, nothing for it but to try again :)

dathon

Sometimes in Master of Orion, there's absolutely nothing you can do. If the AI's early-game cheese alliances get them all to line up together, it can be impossible to avoid losing the council election. This is especially a problem for the races with weak diplomacy, and the Bulrathi are among the worst.

Well, if there was no possibility of losing, the game wouldn't be much fun, would it? ;) Is there interest in running another game with the same group, or should we try something different?

Alright, I had some free time, so I started our third try. Here's the neighborhood:

Meklar, Klackons, and Psilons. And the Darlok's to incite war. Should be fun :lol:

The two habitable planets in the back are both fertile; the Steppe is size 65, the Terran 85. Our second world is a size 90 Terran, and the red Terran in the South is size 100 :eek: Unfortunately, that one is at range 6, so the only way to get to it is through the Tundra, or with an LR ship. I've chased both Klackon scouts and unarmed col ships away, so we probably won't get there in time, but dammit, I want that planet. So I decided to make a bold play. We have 10 medium LR lasers in orbit. Dunno if that can hold as long as it needs to, but we're going to try.

The other planets are unremarkable. All the tundras are very small worlds. I opened the tech fields, and chose RW80% over IIT9, and +10 over Barren. In a nice stroke of luck, we DID have range 5, necessary to get to those fertile worlds in the back. I played an extra ten turns to trickle-research range 5 out of Paladia while I built the LR defense ships out of Ursa. We're sitting pretty with 740-odd RP in the Rng 5 account, 42 factories on Paladia, and all of Paladia's research in the tripling range. Should land the tech in the next 5 turns. Scouts are moving towards the front lines in anticipation.

My next suggestion would be to crash-research +10 to see if we have Controlled Tundra in the tree, as that will determine our next play. In retrospect, I probably should have done this first, but oh well. If we have Controlled Tundra, then we're golden. If not, then RW 80% and any of the second-rung techs will make an LR col ship available, but we'll probably need some more serious defenses to hold that planet.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/52773/osg20c_2330.zip

dathon

As for the roster, here's my proposal:

ArchDuke >> finished last game
dathon >> just played
Sullla >> UP NOW
StuporMan >> on deck
jmas >> warming up

No Humans but Darloks, well at least the galaxy won´t go all hippie like last time. Let´s see if we can grab that nifty terran planet to the south.

(0) 2330 Well, well, well. I can see I'm inheriting a dathon start here. :lol: It's sweet that we've got all those defensive ships in place, and that research on Range 5 is mostly completed. What's not so sweet is that Paladia doesn't have all that many factories done (which is OK, slowing the second colony isn't a big deal) and that Ursa only has 129 factories. We've debated this before, and dathon's strategy usually seems to work out just fine, but you would NEVER see me open the game like this! (I am a big fan of maxing the homeworld ASAP.) Of course, if the Range tech pops just as we max factories at Ursa, this will play out perfectly. Let's hope we don't get bad dice rolls on the tech.

My goal for the round will be to establish or come close to establishing colonies at the two northern worlds, and at least see whether or not we have Controlled Tundra in the tree.

I also note that dathon not only has scouts over all eligible worlds, but extra scouts moving out to take advantage of our incoming range tech. Now that's some fine succession game etiquette!

(1) 2331 Propulsion research hits 1%.

(2) 2332 At 5%.

(3) 2333 Woohoo! :D

After hating us in the last game, the RNG love us this time around! Nailed the tech at quite low odds. We have the full choice of second-tier techs, Nuclear Engines/Range 6/Inertial Stabilizer. The Stabilizer is the most expensive, and not something we need right now. Do we want warp 2 engines or Range 6? Ordinarily it would be a no-brainer for the first option, but that Terran planet out there makes for a tough choice. Hmmm.

Ultimately, I decide to go with the engine upgrade. First of all, it's a MUCH cheaper tech, less than half the cost (1440RP vs. 3340RP). Secondly, we may be able to hop over to our desired world by grabbing Controlled Tundra. Third, even if we don't have that tech, we can emphasize Construction instead (a field that the bears are ranked "Good" in) and rely on LR colony ships to get it done. Finally, I really think that researching range techs are a waste after the first one (aside from that one planet, range 6 is worthless to us), and warp 1 engines suck. Feel free to disagree, but I'm trying to think long-term, beyond that single planet. I think Nuclear Engines benefit our empire as a whole more.

OK, now it's time to switch research over to Planetology, knock out +10, and see what our options are at the next level. The overall cost of +10 is so cheap (only 160RP) that I don't think it's worth it to go through the whole "seeding" process. Paladia already gets 54RP/turn, so we can have the tech in ~5 turns anyway. Rather than fiddle with those formulas, I'll just do that. (dathon is shaking his head at me right now as he reads this. :p )

Ursa still only has 160 factories; it will take 5 turns to build a colony ship, and we can't even put one click into factory construction without dropping the ETA to 6 turns. I think I'll run Ursa on factories for 3 more turns, to bring it up very close to max, then swap over to colony ships. (The main reason for this is that those planets in the north are pretty safe, and can afford to wait the additional turns.)

Finally, our scouts do the scout shuffle, and head out to find some new worlds.

(5) 2335 Planetology research already up to 4%. Wow, that IS a cheap tech!

(6) 2336 Ursa maxes out, starts colony ship production. Tech up to 17%.

(7) 2337 We find Vox, a Dead 40 world in the extreme northwest corner. OK, but not great. It will definitely be one of our planets eventually, unless we get in some serious future trouble.

(8) 2338 Chase away a Meklar scout at one of the new eastern planets. Another scout finds a heavily-defended Klackon world at Nordia (size 45, 5 bases) at the red star to the west of Tau Cygni. It doesn't look good for our prospects of securing that planet; the bugs had about 100 Small ships and several Mediums on guard there.

+10 is at 44%, so it should definitely be discovered next turn.

(9) 2339 Indeed it is. Now for the moment of truth: do we have Controlled Tundra?

Crud. :(

Well, it could have been worse (getting +20 as our only option). Since we need that tech anyway, I continue to give it top priority. In what could be good news, our scouts find two more Dead planets, one in the east and one in the south. So we now have four Tundra and three Dead worlds in our corner of the galaxy. Looks like Controlled Dead is where we need to be! Still researching into Planetology at 100%.

According to dathon's formulas, we should seed this tech to help it develop faster. That means that instead of producing our first colony ship this turn, we'll delay it so as to pump 140RP from Ursa (total of 201RP for this turn).

(10) 2340 Hey, a non-hostile world! We find a small Desert planet 7 parsecs away in the southwest. This is one of the most hostile setups I've ever seen:

Not a whole lot of green on that map. :crazyeye:

(11) 2341 First colony ship produced, second one on the way from Ursa. Will terraform once they're both done.

(16) 2346 Second colony ship done, Ursa remaxing factories this turn, having already terraformed.

(18) 2348 We finally colonize our third planet, yay!

Drakka of course brings Firma, the size 85 Terran, into range. Our second colony ship heads off, and will take 6 turns to get there. Paladia sends 15 to Drakka, which will take it to ~1/3 population.

(19) 2349 GNN reports that the Darloks are facing a Nova event in one of their systems. Good.

(20) 2350 And that is that. No one has tried to challenge us at Tau Cygni as yet, so perhaps we can still land it. GNN has not reported that anyone is at 6 systems, so maybe the whole galaxy is a mess of hostile worlds (?) Almost all the yellow stars are on the east side of the map, I'm sure that's where most of the AIs started. Controlled Dead is about 3/4 of the way finished and should pop in about 5-10 more turns. After that, Ursa's going to be busy churning out colony ships for a loooong time. (We should probably stop focusing on one tech field after landing the Controlled Dead, or at least that would be my recommendation. Time to start branching out into all areas.)

Overall, we've still got a lot of work to do. The upside is that no one seems to have started too close to us, so IF we can land all these Tundra and Dead worlds, we'll be in a very nice position indeed. :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/12069/OSG20-2350s.zip

ArchDuke
dathon
Sullla
StuporMan <<< UP NOW
jmas <<< on deck

That is a very hostile planet neighborhood. Well, we seem to be off to a good start (thanks to dathon and Sullla and their detailed reports).

My attempt at a Three Bears joke: When Goldilocks tasted the first bowl of porridge, she said "Yuch! This porridge is too mineral (ultra) rich!"

When she tasted the second bowl of porridge, she said, "This porridge is too likely to cause rebellion, mineral deficiencies, and cheesy AI love feasts!"

But the third bowl of porridge...will be "just right" ??

Yes, it is late where I am, and I get a little loopy at this time. :)

I agree that it appears we will stand well if we can colonize the Tundra and Dead worlds.

We've debated this before, and dathon's strategy usually seems to work out just fine, but you would NEVER see me open the game like this!

And this is why I LOVE playing succession games! :D Getting to see and learn from other strategies. These SG's have already upped my aggression level when playing MOO. I was way too conservative before. In fact, I wouldn't have even considered making a play for that Terran in the center. Speaking of which, I'm shocked you didn't see any Klackon activity in your twenty turns. We might land the world after all!

(dathon is shaking his head at me right now as he reads this.)

Nope, I whole-heartedly agree! Getting techs with trickle-research is great IF AND ONLY IF there is not a pressing need to have them now. We needed +10 ASAP to see what is in the next rung. Besides, as you mentioned it is a very cheap tech, and the savings would be minimal and probably made-up in the increased production from the tech itself. OTOH, seeding Controlled Dead, even though it is critical, is a great move because we don't have the production to go full-bore on it without delaying those rear planets by way too much.

Do we want warp 2 engines or Range 6?

I agree that warp 2 was the best for now. However, I like to stop my range research at Range 6 or 7 for more tactical options during wars. Sometimes striking the second line is more useful than the front lines, and those worlds are often that far away.

As for the map, yikes :eek: It's going to be fun trying to defend against the bugs, who are going to have that whole corner uncontested, with our little Tundra snow balls. Terraforming tech is going to be of the utmost importance in this game, I think.

Excellent turns :goodjob: Lead us on Stup!

dathon

This report may be a little &#8220;no-frills&#8221; as I wanted to get the turns played and report posted prior to work and an evening meeting tomorrow.

(Turn 1) 2350 : Nothing. Our available funds are going &#8220;all in&#8221; on research from Sulla&#8217;s turns.

(2) 2351: Nothing

IBT: Event: Nazin becomes mineral rich.

(3) 2352: 5% on Dead Environment.

(4) 2353: 10% on Dead.

IBT: Colonize Firma (fertile Terran).

(5) 2354: Dead at 15%. Send 8M to Firma (to be followed up) from Paladia.

IBT: We get Dead Environment. Enhanced Eco, Terraform +30, or Controlled Toxic. Eco was cheaper, will save a lot of money even if we get Reduced Waste 80% first, and we might be able to leapfrog over Terraform +30. One oversight&#8211;I checked the map (on a saved game from the previous year) for Toxic worlds and didn&#8217;t see the one Toxic world, which happens to be a big &#8216;un at 60 max. But even if I had, that might not have been worth choosing the most expensive tech in the box just opened to us.

Also, the Darloks save the colony at Lyae (from the threatened nova). Golf clap. Shouldn't there be a smiley for that? :lol:

(6) 2355: Another 7M from Paladia to Firma. All available funding at Ursa moved to production of colship with dead colony base&#8211;4 years to completion. Paladia takes over research, which I distribute to open up the remaining fields.

IBT: Our choices are no choices at all, they are the only options. Deep Space Scanner, Class II Shield (of course), and Hyper-V Rockets.

Misha scouted (NE of Firma): Barren, Rich, 50 max.

(7) 2356: Shuffle tech spending slightly, prioritizing Construction most of all, then planetology, then the others.

IBT The Meklars arrive at Tau Cygni. To meet our 10 LR mediums they have&#8211;10 larges of one class, 1 of another, plus a colship that doesn&#8217;t retreat. Doh. Retreat our ships to Tauri. Contact with Meklars (they must have Range 6). Ruthless Technologist, allied with Psilons.

(8) 2357&#8211; Restart factory construction at Paladia (with minimal funding, as Paladia is now funding all our research).

IBT I neglected to trade with the Meklars, but they come calling & we agree to trade 100 BC.

(9) 2358 I go to see the Meklars and learn that they have Hand Lasers, Class II Shields, and Hyper-Vs. I notice it appears we won&#8217;t be able to reach Gion, SW of our systems, without Range 6 (or LR, Dead/Tundra colship).

(10) 2359 Colship produced; sent to Tauri (on the frontier with the Meklar).

IBT Obaca scouted (Dead 45 E of Firma).

(11) 2360 RW 80% has a pixel lit up (as does Hyper-V). I put more funding into RW.

(12) 2361 nothing; RW at 2 pixels.

IBT Psilons arrive at Crius with 2 larges and a colship that doesn&#8217;t retreat. Retreat scouts toward Antares. We colonize Tauri. Contact with Klackons due to proximity of Tauri and Nordia. As I learn during the next turn, theirs is a 2PE. They are Erratic Militarist. They have Battle Comp. II and Shield Class II. We meet & they agree to trade 25 BC.

(13) 2362 Move 11M toward Tauri from Ursa; 4M in &#8220;replacements&#8221; ordered from Paladia to Ursa.

(14) 2363 Second Dead Base ship produced and routed toward Misha, rich Barren. RELOC to Firma not used as it actually would have cost time.

IBT Scout arrives at Seidon (Red star E of Ursa). It&#8217;s a Psilon planet, pop 45, industry 90, 10 missile bases. Retreat. Good pop growth on our planets, as I notice during the next turn (+11 total).

(15) 2364 Put money into eco on Drakka to terraform over 2 turns and improve its growth curve. (2 turns later, I move the funds back into IND).

(16) 2365 Send another extra scout (I had already moved the one from Drakka) to Obaca so it can be used if we colonize Obaca.

IBT GNN population ranking: Us (!), Meklar, Mrrshan, Psilon, Klackon, Darlok.

(17) 2366 nothing

(18) 2367 I move some more research funds to RW 80%.

(19) 2368 Colship produced, send toward Uxmai as a waypoint for its eventual trip to Obaca. Tauri&#8217;s funds put into terraforming.

(20) 2369 Psilon colship arrives at Obaca. I was hoping it would only be armed with missiles which perhaps our 2 scouts would not be hit by. Alas, I was not expecting a heavy ion cannon. Sorry all&#8211;the scouts were destroyed; but I don&#8217;t think they would have had anything to do if I had retreated them, and there is already another scout on the way to Obaca, so we should be able to keep an eye on it if that won&#8217;t anger the Psilons (with whom we do not have contact currently).

Our colship will need to be rerouted from Uxmai.

2370: Drakka and Firma&#8217;s productivity have come up significantly. Tauri can increase its pop max by 6 million more. Next player can decide whether to continue a trickle that I did for a few turns along the route Paladia&#8211;> Ursa &#8211;> Tauri. Colship will be produced at Ursa in 2 turns. The existing colship will need that rerouting I mentioned. It can go to Jinga, Proteus, or Vox in the west. RW 80% at 6% chance of discovery.

I will include a thumbnail with the Status screen. Production isn't bad compared with the industrious Meklars and Klackons. We lag in tech, as might be expected under the circumstances. Their fleets are...just a little bit larger than ours... but as StuporMan pointed out in a prior game, we could invade when their fleet is away and capture tech (preferably enough to avoid the planet being glassed when the "cat" returns home).

Go Bears!

Oops, I forgot to hit "upload." Here are the files.

Attachments

• orion_007.png
    orion_007.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 194
  • SAVE3.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 120
Sorry about going AWOL, I presented at the Kentucky Academy of Science meeting this weekend and was unable to get online to check up on your status. I will also be going on vacation starting Thursday and will not be around for a while. I probably ought to bow out of this one, I likely will not have the time.

2370 Turn, everything looks fine

The Barren world seems our eastern perimeter

Turn 3

We encounter the Psilons and we seem to be leading in Planets. I relocate 5 LR Lasers to watch over Gion our western Perimeter (I hope). I settle Misha the barren rich world.

Turn 4

A Battleship supported Psilon Colony Ship is closing in on the north.

Turn 5

Erratic Expansionist, great, this means Brains on drugs. And they got Barren Enviroment, thanks to a look on the exchange tech.

Turn 6

The Psilons bomb Misha to oblivion, before my transports arrive, Dang.

Turn 7

Jeez, it seems I am cursed, the Klackons dow us this turn, well, we have to say goodbye to Misha for real now, or do we?

Turn 10

Misha has not yet been colonized, the Psilons didn´t equip their ship with a barren base although they had the tech it seems.

Turn 11

Reduced Waste pops, finally..

Turn 15

Vox is colonized, Proteus as well. Misha (again) has a colony ship enroute. This time Misha has some LR Lasers enroute and already there, as well as some more on Firma. We gotta snatch this barren 50 rich planet, if only not to let it fall into Psilons hands. With expansionistic and erratic, they will surely become our worst enemy.

Turn 17

It 9 pops, yes I like to research it as it is damn cheap and it makes our factories a bit cheaper. Duralloy next. And FB next. I settle Misha again

Turn 20

Ok, things are looking better again, Misha has some defenders and pops are enroute and there is no Psilon fleet in sight. A lone meklar huge is flying around south of Misha, but he seems to ignore us, for now. If we can hang unto our southern frontier and onto Misha, we are looking good.

Attachments

• 2390save.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 138
I see it, but I'm not going to get to this today. Hopefully tomorrow.

dathon

Pregame: Our expansion is, in a word, dismal. I think we branched out on technology too much too early. There are still two worlds up for grabs in the south, and we currently aren't making a play for either one! Territory = power in this game, and if you don't get out there and grab it, the AI will, especially on Impossible. Controlled Dead popped on jmas's 5th turn. All research should have then gone to RW 80% to slam it out, because that allowed for LR col ships. I even mentioned this in my last report. We could have had an LR col ship built and on its way 10-15 turns ago! As it is now, I'll try and make a play for Tao, but I doubt we'll get there before both the Meklar and Klackons.

I think going back for IIT9 was a mistake; it was definitely a rules violation :nono: We must research ALL gropo techs as soon as they become available, and armor qualifies! It would have been visible once RW 80% was researched. Moreover, the benefit of the slightly cheaper factories does not outweigh the set-back to construction tech level, IMO. Because it determines how much space is available, Construction tech is the most important tech when it comes to building fleets, and therefore it is the most important tech to keep advancing up the tree.

2390: Dial all fields except nuke engines down to a sliver; if we're going to beat the borg and bugs south, we're going to need a faster LR col. Start Ursa building a placeholder. I wish I knew how many troops were enroute to Misha, but can't find that info in Archduke's report. That planet needs to be maxed on pop ASAP to get some bases going. We absolutely cannot let the Psilons have that planet; if they secure it, that might be the game right there. I send 20 more from Firma.

IBT: Scanner comes in, chose RC3 over ECM2 and BC3.

2391: Drat, that huge Meklar bogey is heading for Misha. No way it's going to hold. I thought it wasn't headed there? Oh well, those troops are goners now. Firma starts on a placeholder for a warp 2 Dead col.

2392: Tauri maxes factories, starts on bases.

IBT: Nukes pop. Take Rng 7 over Sub Light.

2393: Misha's going to fall to the Psilon, I think. The Meklar huge is going to wipe out the colony, and the Psilons have a large fleet w/ col ships moving up to Obaca. Base at Misha is going to be a turn too late.

2394: Well, it survived one more turn, anyway. I retreated out LR laser ships, and the Huge only damaged 1 factory and killed 14 pop in the bombardment. Maybe I can destroy it next turn. Bit of a bad break that Class II didn't pop before the base got built.

IBT: Well crap. The huge has 3 Heavy Lasers, 2 Hyper V's... and 28 death spores + anti-missile rockets :nuke: But, I do have enough ships to run a blockade... I wonder if the AI would be smart enough to shoot down the unarmed scouts to get close to the planet. If not, I actually may be able to survive against 3 Heavy Lasers long enough to sink that ship. And answer turns out to be.... the AI is dumb.

I ran a 3-ship blockade, with the LR lasers always at the corner so it could shoot at the Huge. Won the battle by the skin of my teeth with one LR laser with 9 HP [party]

Class II finally popped, chose Class III, the only next option (crud, I actually like researching PDS here. Class III isn't much of an increase, and that +10 gropo can be huge).

And in punishment for thwarting the Meklar:

This is why I actually play with events off most of the time in my private games. They are often a little too damaging, too often, and hit the player WAY more than the other races. Oh well, at least that planet isn't too large.

2395: Set Misha to max terraforming, and send 20 pop from Firma. Turn that Dead col ship from Firma into 28 warp two laser fighters for Misha. I want to build ~50 or so for defense of that world. Tauri at least got one base up before the plague hit, so it goes on research, Drakka goes on reserves to help out, and Paladia sends 15 in anticipation of the casualties. Ursa starts a Col E2 (dead, warp 2) in anticipation of Tao being founded. I don't see any fleets on the way to either world, though the bugs have a huge fleet with a col ship at Nordia. They're not interested in peace, either.

IBT: Tauri will officially require 1717 RP to fix the problem. That should take ~12 turns, with pumping from reserves.

2396: Man, can't catch a break. The bugs are now allied with the Meklar. Well, we cannot be at war with both at once.

The Meklar have alliances with the ALL of the other races as well. Right now, they are third in pop; let's hope it stays that way.

2397: Looks like the bugs are going to make a play for the Meklar's Tau Cygni. 3000 smalls, 160 mediums, and a large vs 3 Huge and 20 bases. I think the borg are safe, unfortunately.

IBT: Tao founded! :woohoo: And that kicks off galactic elections :eek: Us vs the Psilons

Psilons..................Us.................Abstain
Klackons (2)...............................Meklar (4)
Darloks (2).................................Mrrshan (3)
Psilons (5)..................................Us (5)

Bad news is I had to abstain. Good news is that as long as one other race abstains in 3 turns, we're fine.

2398: Oops, should have only sent 10 from Firma :smoke: Sent 10 back to Firma from Misha. Ursa sends 11 to Tao, should be done with its col ship next turn. The Meklar brought the Psilons in against the Klackons. I think we have enough fighters at Misha, so Firma goes back on factories to max out. There are no Psilon ships at Obaca, so hopefully Misha will be able to defend itself with bases.

2399: Well, the battle at Tau Cygni saw the Klackons destroy the 4 Huge Meklar ships there, but none of the bases, and at a cost of 2300 smalls, 125 mediums, and the rest of the col/large ships. Col ship is now bound for Gion, and Ursa is building another for the dead south of it. All of the races except the Darlok's have dropped the Meklar alliance, and the shape shifters are now also at war with the Klackons.

IBT: 2400 vote:

Psilons..................Us.................Abstain
Klackons (2)...............................Meklar (4)
Darloks (1).................................Mrrshan (3)
Psilons (5)..................................Us (6)

2400: Ok, I wasn't smoking, Misha DID have extra capacity. Oh that's right, it had to clean up after the spores, duh. Oh well. Scheduled 20 troops from Paladia to Tauri to take care of more plague losses.

Post game: Tauri has been averaging ~140 RP per turn, with help from reserves, so that should be taken care of by the end of Sullla's turnset. The Klackon's are hurting; they lost half their fleet at Tau Cygni, and are about to lose some more, plus transports in the next wave. We should be in good shape as far as the vote goes. Every planet except Proteus is terraformed (Misha will be done next turn, and then needs to be adjusted). Let's hope the Meklar are too distracted by the Klackons to worry about those small planets in the S.

Roster: (10 turns each from here on out)
dathon <<< just played
Sullla <<< UP NOW
jmas <<< on deck
TheArchduke

Stup, we're sorry to see you go man! Have fun on your vacation!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/52773/osg20c_2400.zip

dathon

Some sweet turns from dathon in the last set. Saving Misha on a wing and a prayer was amazing, especially give that it's our only Rich planet! Handing that over to the Psilons would have been disastrous. My goal is to see if I can colonize those last two worlds in the south, add to our defenses, and make progress on the next two critical techs: Robotics III and Enhanced Eco.

By the way, everyone definitely needs to make sure to stick with the variant. Always research gropo techs if available! :)

(0) 2400 I check all our planets, but don't see much of a need to change anything. I agree with dathon's decisions for the moment.

(1) 2401 Done terraformnig at Misha; it can already get 10 factories/turn without reserve spending. Love those Rich worlds! One minor mistake I didn't catch on dathon's last turn: Paladia is sending 20m to Tauri, the planet getting hit by the plague. It only needs 10m at most, so a lot of our colonists are going to go to waste. This probably comes from not having a lot of experience with the random events - the plague isn't quite THAT deadly!

(2) 2402 Lots of ships flying around, but none seem to be heading for us. Luckily the AIs are too busy killing one another to go after those planets in the south.

(3) 2403 Found a colony at Gion, yay! :D

Ursa maxes out population this turn and builds a second colony ship for Centauri. 15m dispatched from the homeworld to get Gion started.

(4) 2404 Firma maxes pop/factories. It's pretty safe at the moment, so I'm having it build one base, then go over to research. We will want to add more bases here in the future as AI range increases, however. I notice this turn that Ursa still has no bases, so I add a single one here as well.

(5) 2405 Proteus, one of our little Tundra planets, finishes terraforming. Jinga, another small Tundra planet, maxes next turn and will add the obligatory single base for security. Paladia also lacks bases, so I start one there as well.

(6) 2406 GNN rank of empire population: 1) Bulrathi (us) 2) Psilons 3) Meklar 4) Mrrshans 5) Klackon 6) Darlok. Ursa trickles another 8m population to Tauri. Hopefully that plague ends soon!

(7) 2407 We build a new colony at Centauri:

This immediately launches the GNN 1/4 message, informing the other races that we outstrip everyone else in systems (12). Suck on that, losers. :p

Our scouts fan out to examine those systems in the extreme south, which were formerly out of range. Probably hostile, since the Klackons haven't picked them up yet.

(8) 2408 Misha, the Rich world is already maxing out next turn. Wow. Are those ever hot commodities or what? :crazyeye: I'd like to stand up at least 5-10 bases there to deter early game aggression, since it's our point world with the Psilons.

(10) 2410 Scouting reports come in. We find Berel, a Steppe 35 in the southwest (how is this not colonized yet?!), Phantos (Dead 15 - ugh!) in the southeast, and Kronos (Radiated Rich 10) in the direct south. Ursa starts on a colony ship for Berel, and since I'm a cheap pennypinching bastid, I design a Standard (non-Dead) colony ship just for that planet. Please be aware of this when building future colony ships, because the current design can't settle at Phantos!

Scientists finally find a cure on Tauri. Dathon called the ETA on that one correctly! I have Tauri set to regrow its pop this turn, then we should really start stacking up bases there. It's the most exposed core world in the south (although we have some more vulnerable new colonies).

No one is attacking us right now, our new worlds are developing nicely, and Robotics III/Enhanced Eco should both pop during the next turnset. As long as we can avoid an AI attack, we're in really good shape right now.

Map:

A quiet turn from me, which was exactly what we needed. jmas is now up. :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/12069/OSG20-2410s.zip

I see that I am up but I don't think I will have time to play today. I will aim for Friday evening.

Top Bottom