[R&F] Outback stations seem ridiculously strong

Question

King
+1 food, +1 production

+1 food per adjacent pasture

+1 food/+1 production per 2 adjacent outback stations, requires tech

Even with no adjacent pastures its basically an uber mine that you can build on desert/grassland/plains which are usually production scarce. You can spam it practically everywhere.

Even the mekewap cant be spammed and can only be built next to resources.

only 0.5 housing (mekewap gives 2 housing after civil service)
cannot be built on snow or tundra (mekewap can be built there)
need a lot of them, eating tiles. (mekewap got additional boni with techs)

i still prefer Mekewap :D

Housing isnt as big of a deal compared to being able to get +1 production on grasslands/plains. It gives you super productive cities. Most unique improvements give only culture/science/faith

A simple change should be that you can only build it next to a pasture or another outback station. I had a fun game as Australia a while ago where my goal was to essentially convert every tile that I could to outback stations. It was fun :)

Also of note is that the extra production you get from it combines with Australia having a near-permanent +100% production bonus due to their liberation ability, which can really give them huge bonuses.

And not listed in the description is that pastures also get +1 production bonus for having adjacent outback stations, which makes them even stronger.

Housing isnt as big of a deal compared to being able to get +1 production on grasslands/plains. It gives you super productive cities. Most unique improvements give only culture/science/faith

Mekewaps give production as well.

nicely placed, late game mekewaps are on par with some industrial districts AND a commercial hubs combined. sometimes yielding 4 productions and 3 golds at once, and they can be put on every tiles next to luxury and bonus resources, limited only but the fact that the mekewaps are not able to be built next to each other.

The whole AU civ is OP, they really wanted out 5 EUR :)

Yea Australia as a whole seems really powerful. The district yield changes from appeal are ridiculous...its not that hard to boost appeal...and combined with the Eiffel tower lead to silly yields.

The boost to production is meh unless you abuse the hell out of liberating free cities and letting them flip so that you can liberate it again.

Mekewaps cant be spammed like outback stations can. Comare it to the Kurgan which can be spammed...the outback station is infinitely better.

Most of the other unique improvements are nowhere near as powerful because food/production is WAY more valuable than faith/culture. Culture in particular is meh, because rushing civis doesnt help you win...infact, culture does nothing for a cultural victory since that is dependent on tourism...you could be producing 1,000+ culture a turn and be less than 10% on the way to a cultural victory.

Most of the other unique improvements are nowhere near as powerful because food/production is WAY more valuable than faith/culture. Culture in particular is meh, because rushing civis doesnt help you win...infact, culture does nothing for a cultural victory since that is dependent on tourism...you could be producing 1,000+ culture a turn and be less than 10% on the way to a cultural victory.

Culture is extremely powerful. You get policy cards and governments, and unlock the things you need for Tourism. On deity, it is absolutely vital you have a lot of culture.

Australia's one of those civs that becomes super-powered mid- to late-game, which can be a lot of fun.

There are far better civs for winning quickly with, if you start in the Ancient era. Even if you're playing slowly, by mid- to late-game you can snowball with early-bonus civs to a more "powerful" overall empire than you'll have playing Australia from the Ancient era.

If we're talking an Industrial age start, though, then the outback station and the bonus from appeal might well make Australia the easiest civ to win quickly with.

But you usually win 30~50 turns after that. Leaving too little time for them to make actual use.

You might. I think it’s well established you speed through the game faster than nearly everyone. Good for you.

For the rest of us plebs, the Outback Station lets you turn cities that were resource grabs or other not-so-productive sites into cities that can actually produce something. It’s still not as powerful as the 100% production Australia gets for being attacked or liberating something.

The boost to production is meh unless you abuse the hell out of liberating free cities and letting them flip so that you can liberate it again.

How is it the player’s fault if the computers can’t prevent their citizens from rebelling? Haha

“Oops, silly me... was that MY spy that just happened to “accidentally” recruit partisans and cause your city to flip? My bad... Here, let me just handle this for you... No really, not a problem AT ALL.”

Now that I think about it... this could mesh nicely with warlord throne to really boost production (assuming that a free city counts)...

Edit: I knew I had read this somewhere before!

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/free-city-farming.630064/#post-15069185

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yes it is but then that is why I love it , gotta build them all

Top Bottom