1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Over the Reich - McMonkey vs. JPetroski

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Multiplayer & PBEM' started by JPetroski, Dec 20, 2018.

1. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

There's nothing I can do to make Operation Jericho fair other than put text on the map for Amien prison, which is done. The geography of the event means that I can strike it in one turn and there's no chance for you to intercept. In exchange, I only give the Allies 4x Typhoons to accomplish it, and one turn to pull it off. I happened to have several other aircraft around, and needed several of them. It's basically random luck if that would have been possible. Also, mind you, it's the one event where the special target shows up on the lower map. It would have been possible (though probably not worth it) to ring it with flak batteries from the start of the game. Given it only destroys a few railyards, I'm not sure if that would be worth it.

Operation Chastise needs changes. In fact I'm thinking of just dropping it. It might not work to put text on the map for one and secondly with the way I have the rivers set up (and my own map making limitations) it would just look stupid. I might use an extra unit for "electrical facility" and tie it to a different city improvement somehow. Or just get rid of it completely.

Every other historical mission is just a catalyst driving the Allies to attack one of your cities far away. I have to fly several turns to reach them. If am able to knock out your radar, go around it, or distract you elsewhere to reach the target, then good for me. If I can't, then my mission gets slaughtered, like the one heading to Schweinfurt just did. Good for you!

What would be fair about you knowing which city I'm definitely targeting and when? You have radar, you have PR aircraft that can search for my streams, you have the regular Luftwaffe. You could post sentries on sleep to see if they awake on the low alt map and night maps, etc. You have ways to discover what I'm up to. With Gomorrah, you nearly stopped me. With Hydra, I flew right past you. Even without any indication on the map, you limited damage on Chastise, and you've annihilated the Schweinfurt Raid.

I don't think you're doing that bad, but I can understand that Chastise and Jericho aren't that much fun from your perspective. I can revisit if both of them need to be removed, but they're two of the most interesting raids of the war, which is why I put them in to start.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  2. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

That makes sense. I'm just salty because I took yet another punch in the face :lol:

This is an interesting scenario from the German perspective as I have to watch my lovely (read evil) Reich slowly being ground down. One has to adopt a fatalistic yet determined mindset to take the repeated blows in ones stride and plug away. I have had several ups in the past few turns that will offset this most recent down.

I'll play my turn shortly. I was out all day yesterday at a friends funeral/wake. If you're about we should be able to get a few turns in today and I'm working nights this coming week so should be able to fit more turns in then too.

3. McMonkey

:eek: My airforce over Belgium has been totally decimated. I realised there was a risk of some casualties from flak but except for two badly damaged aircraft the entire force is gone! At least 18 aircraft gone, most lost to friendly fire. I'm not sure how I can make good losses on that scale. That seems a little over the top to me. Sure friendly fire incidents are a risk but to shoot down your entire airforce? Surely the AA gunners would be ordered to hold their fire if there were a large number of friendly aircraft overhead? I obviously massively underestimated the danger posed.

4. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

I'll see if I can post an events fix during my turn. I only shot down 3 or 4 of them so respawn the others.

The friendly fire system is more trouble than it seems to be worth.

5. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

This removes friendly fire flak reactions. It was an event too far. I could try modifying it to make it less powerful as well but this is a quicker solution by far.

These turns are very long so if you can manage by just adding in some fighters, I trust you to do something you judge to be fair.

Sorry about your friend, by the way :(

Attached Files:

6. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

Now might not be the worst time in the world to take stock of a few things. I do want this to be a scenario that you can win. I don't know that at 175 turns that is possible.

I do think the late to end game could be quite enjoyable for you assuming that you get to play with the jets as they are fun.

We will figure out some ways to keep things balanced a bit as we go. I'm hesitant to broadcast what as I don't want to force your strategy.

With that being said, once DDAY comes, I want to know exactly how close you are to jets, as that is a critical balance point.

We may need to make some adjustments at that point.

7. McMonkey

I see the logic in having it. It prevents just parking interceptors & flak over a likely target & making it impossible to attack. However, in this instance I was reacting to an Allied attack with my fighters and scored a significant victory, only to have the victorious fighters all shot down. If there is a way to reduce the effectiveness of accidental friendly fire whilst still leaving a slight risk then it is worth including.

For the purpose of the current game I will re-spawn some of them (minus the ones you shot down & a few for frieldly fire).

Thanks. He was only in his early fifties. We gave him a good sendoff. Makes one appreciate family & friends & the good life most of us enjoy in the West!

8. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

In the reaction code, there is a function "willReact" (maybe not the exact name) which can be used to determine if a unit that can react actually will react. At the moment it is set to return true, but we can make it so that a flak battery takes into account potential damage to nearby friendly aircraft before deciding whether to fire or not.

I think I left it out initially just to get something working and it seemed kind of reasonable for a defender to make a flak or fighters choice. However, since flak can't be disabled manually, it would actually have to be moved away.

On a similar subject, we can also specify the order in which units react. For example, fighters could react first, and then flak once all the fighters have used up their reaction allotment. At the moment, reaction is according to the id number of the units, I believe.

9. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

I just edited the bystander lines which ( I think) allowed me to switch it so that the flak will still shoot at enemies instead of friendy aircraft. I could also just tone down the damage to make it less likely that friendly aircraft are damaged that badly, but I went with the quicker option for now.

The problem seems to be that one flak gets to shoot at everything around it, rather than a set number of other aircraft. I'm pretty sure we don't have a limitation into how many bystanders can be attacked, so each flak in the area shoots at each bystander in the area until it is out of ammo. That produces some very bad results.

10. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

@McMonkey the day got away from us a bit, it seems. I have a few days off this week so perhaps we will get on a role

11. McMonkey

The two guys I was on shift with yesterday are both engaging conversationalists and between chatting and work I was unable to focus on playing Civ2. I'm just finishing up my turn now.

12. McMonkey

Axis Turn 58

Sorry that turn too so long. It felt like a real mess and I'm trying to get some cohesion back into my play.

Two A26s shot down over Tours.

One P47 & one B17 shot down by Flak over Brussels.

Over the Ruhr three Lancasters and two Moaquito NF MkII shot down (*When I call up ammo with a Ju88 next to the Mosquito a Lua script box appears. I can close it and attack without any issues but I guess this is a minor error to address).

Attached Files:

13. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

Allied Turn 59
    -3x Me110, 1xFw190A5 and 1x Ju88C attacked and destroyed near the Ruhr
    -2x urban areas at Cologne destroyed for loss of 2 bombers to flak
    -2x urban areas at Dusseldorf destroyed for loss of another 3 bombers to flak
    -Rouen attacked to no effect
    -Tournai and Woesndrecht both attacked to no effect
    -Factory near Brussels finished off
    -Brest cleared of defenders at low alt for the loss of 5 or 6 A-26 Invaders
    -Factory near Brest attacked but not destroyed

Attached Files:

14. McMonkey

Damnit! Just set up my laptop to play & realized I've forgotten my USB. Apologies. Schoolboy error!

EDIT: Forget that. Found it in another pocket of my bag. Playing now.

15. McMonkey

Axis Turn 59

One P47 shot down by flak over Tournai airbase and one B17 near Antwerp.

One Destroyer sunk in the Atlantic.

Over the Ruhr five Lancasters, three Mosquito NF MkII and one Beaufighter are shot down.

Attached Files:

16. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

Turn 60
    -U-Boat sunk in Convoy Zone
    -2x Me110 destroyed at Turnhout
    -1x Fw190 destroyed at Rottum
    -1x Fw190 shot down east of Rottum
    -1x Me110 destroyed at Stolberg
    -Deelen attacked but not destroyed
    -Factory finished off at Brest

Attached Files:

17. McMonkey

Axis Turn 60

Over Germany, five Lancasters and one Mosquito NF shot down.

One Mosquito PR shot down over Rouen and another over Nantes.

Attached Files:

18. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

Turn 61
    -2x Fuel refineries destroyed in Holland for the loss of two bombers.
    -1x Fuel refinery destroyed near Brussels
    -Factory at Amsterdam badly damaged but not destroyed

Attached Files:

19. McMonkey

20. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

Turn 62

A massive air battle rages over the lowlands as the brand new P-51B Mustangs arrive in force! 6x Fw190A8, 1xFw190A5, and 3x Me110 are shot down for the loss of 1x P-47D25.
    -In addition, a 3.7cm Flak is destroyed at Schiphol

Attached Files: